bradcanuck

Before my interview, I may want to let some skeletons out

77 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
My interviewer did not care that I worked for a Canadian company. I told him when he asked if I was working, and he asked if I was during the process and I said yes. He said, okay. Approved.

Congrats :thumbs:

Separated!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I think they should be allowed to work too! I don't understand why K1 isn't work authorized :(

but it is.....

Yeah, I realized that after I posted that but I figured most people would know what I meant. I mean why is it still illegal to work? I guess that's what I meant. We still have to wait for work authorization to be legal workers.

March 6, 2007 - I-129F package sent

March 21, 2007 - I-129F NOA2

October 17, 2007 - K1 interview - approved

October 19, 2007 - K1 arrived in mail

October 21, 2007 - US entry

October 23, 2007 - Wedding day

November 27, 2007 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

December 7, 2007 - Received all 3 NOA's for AOS, AP & EAD

December 10, 2007 - Received letter for biometrics appointment

January 2, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California

January 3, 2008 - Biometrics

January 16, 2008 - RFE for I-485

January 22, 2008 - RFE for I-485 arrived

January 23, 2008 - AP approved

January 25, 2008 - Case status finally updated: AP approved January 23!

January 31, 2008 - EAD card production ordered

February 2, 2008 - AP arrived in mail

February 5, 2008 - Sending a letter/RFE to CSC

February 5, 2008 - EAD card production ordered (again?!)

February 7, 2008 - RFE/letter arrived at CSC

February 7, 2008 - EAD approval sent

February 9, 2008 - EAD card received, dated January 23rd!

February 25, 2008 - CSC finally acknowledges receiving RFE

February 27, 2008 - I-485 APPROVED!

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

March 3, 2008 - Received welcome letter

March 3, 2008 - I-485 approval letter sent

March 6, 2008 - Green card arrived in mail.

November 2009 - Removal of conditions...

Filed: Timeline

Holy guacamole. Why do some people get totally bent out of shape on this site? I worked for two Canadian companies while resident in the US without any difficulties or an EAD.... one involved telecommuting; one required travel to Canada. Both companies are based solely in Canada and have no ties to the US. The income will be reported at tax time. Oh, and the officer at my local CIS did not have a problem with that. VJ. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
However, if you acknowledge it is a Canadian company then your theory is shot out of the water. A Canadian has every right to work for a Canadian company, whether it's in the U.S. or Timbuckfriggintoo.

If a Canadian based company is also a US employer then you theory is shot out of the water because the Canadian based company (and its Candian citizen US based employees) will be subject to US employment and tax law for that component of its operating activities that occur inside the US border.

I worked for a small Canadian company with 5 US employees. We all worked from home but the company arranged for US group insurance benefits, paid in US dollars, did federal and State withholding and provided W2's. This did not prevent my Canadian boss from traveling and doing business in the US twenty or more times every year. If one of the Canadian software developers wanted to telecomute or work remotely while visiting family in the US, that's not unauthorized US employment. It's Canadian employment for a Canadian employer. We also sent Consultants from Ottawa to locations in the US for temporary work. That's legal too.

Congratulations on the AOS approval.

From today forward, you are a US LPR, so if you continue this contract work, it needs to be as a US resident employee. Your status has changed to resident. New rules apply.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
Holy guacamole. Why do some people get totally bent out of shape on this site? I worked for two Canadian companies while resident in the US without any difficulties or an EAD.... one involved telecommuting; one required travel to Canada. Both companies are based solely in Canada and have no ties to the US. The income will be reported at tax time. Oh, and the officer at my local CIS did not have a problem with that. VJ. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

If someone reports their income, then probably there is nothing to worry about . When Brad stated 'under the table' I assumed he wasn't reporting his income. I mentioned the IRS because even though USCIS might forgive working without authorization, the IRS would not forgive the failure to report it.

Anyways, congratulations Brad!! After all the troubles you had with the EAD, I'm glad the interview went so smoothly.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Do not admit.

During my AOS process my wife and I rang up a lot of debt. With the wedding and CC debt piling up and me unable to leave to work in Canada, I found myself having to take side contracts from employers in Canada. This was before my EAD arrived. So yes, I was working "under the table" so to speak.

I feel I need to fess up during the interview that I did this. If asked, should I be honest? Are people forgiven for this typically? I am afraid I will get a stern IO that will slap us in the face with a denial due to bitterness etc. Let me know.. 11 hours and counting. Thanks.

Misrepresentation is punishable by deportation. If it'll be forgiven, what's the point in lying about it?

I agree, however there is the constant suggestion not to offer information that is not asked of you. I guess it might boil down to if when the OP was filling out the paperwork for AOS & interim benefits, was he then engaging in work w/o authorization, or was it afterward - if afterward, then it could only come up at the interview? If the latter is the case am not so sure it matters as much as telling the truth when asked.

For the record, my husband also worked for his Canadian company after his arrival to the US. Perhaps we did something wrong.

ETA: I see in the meantime while posting you are approved - congrats!

Edited by LaL

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Do not admit.

During my AOS process my wife and I rang up a lot of debt. With the wedding and CC debt piling up and me unable to leave to work in Canada, I found myself having to take side contracts from employers in Canada. This was before my EAD arrived. So yes, I was working "under the table" so to speak.

I feel I need to fess up during the interview that I did this. If asked, should I be honest? Are people forgiven for this typically? I am afraid I will get a stern IO that will slap us in the face with a denial due to bitterness etc. Let me know.. 11 hours and counting. Thanks.

Misrepresentation is punishable by deportation. If it'll be forgiven, what's the point in lying about it?

I agree, however there is the constant suggestion not to offer information that is not asked of you. I guess it might boil down to if when the OP was filling out the paperwork for AOS & interim benefits, was he then engaging in work w/o authorization, or was it afterward - if afterward, then it could only come up at the interview? If the latter is the case am not so sure it matters as much as telling the truth when asked.

For the record, my husband also worked for his Canadian company after his arrival to the US. Perhaps we did something wrong.

I agree 100% with the not offering information that is not asked of you, but I read "Don't admit it" as a

"don't under any circumstances"since no qualifier of "unless asked" was included. Turns out the OP did tell the truth when asked and it wasn't a problem, and that oath they make you take to tell the truth makes me awfully nervous whenever I see lying suggested.

If the immigrant has a company that is willing to let them keep working once in the US, more power to them, I say. USCIS just isn't very clear about how they view it, but with unauthorized work forgiven I bet it's really a moot point anyway.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Awesome...congratulations Brad.

AOS

Filled : 2007-09-17

NOA : 2007-09-25

Biometrics : 2007-12-13

EAD card prod : 2007-12-13

Job Offer : 2007-12-18

EAD card prod : 2007-12-18

EAD approved mailed : 2007-12-21

EAD in Hand : 2007-12-24 (Awesome Christmas Present)

Applied for SSN : 2007-12-26

SSN arrives in mail : 2008-01-05 (Happy New Year)

Start work :2008-01-15

Do not admit.

I agree 100% with the not offering information that is not asked of you, but I read "Don't admit it" as a

"don't under any circumstances"since no qualifier of "unless asked" was included. Turns out the OP did tell the truth when asked and it wasn't a problem, and that oath they make you take to tell the truth makes me awfully nervous whenever I see lying suggested.

If the immigrant has a company that is willing to let them keep working once in the US, more power to them, I say. USCIS just isn't very clear about how they view it, but with unauthorized work forgiven I bet it's really a moot point anyway.

I agree that saying "don't admit it" is not the best suggestion here as it implies lying if asked. :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just wanted to say I'm glad you got approved Brad! :thumbs: Sorry I did not say that in my other posts!

March 6, 2007 - I-129F package sent

March 21, 2007 - I-129F NOA2

October 17, 2007 - K1 interview - approved

October 19, 2007 - K1 arrived in mail

October 21, 2007 - US entry

October 23, 2007 - Wedding day

November 27, 2007 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

December 7, 2007 - Received all 3 NOA's for AOS, AP & EAD

December 10, 2007 - Received letter for biometrics appointment

January 2, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California

January 3, 2008 - Biometrics

January 16, 2008 - RFE for I-485

January 22, 2008 - RFE for I-485 arrived

January 23, 2008 - AP approved

January 25, 2008 - Case status finally updated: AP approved January 23!

January 31, 2008 - EAD card production ordered

February 2, 2008 - AP arrived in mail

February 5, 2008 - Sending a letter/RFE to CSC

February 5, 2008 - EAD card production ordered (again?!)

February 7, 2008 - RFE/letter arrived at CSC

February 7, 2008 - EAD approval sent

February 9, 2008 - EAD card received, dated January 23rd!

February 25, 2008 - CSC finally acknowledges receiving RFE

February 27, 2008 - I-485 APPROVED!

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

March 3, 2008 - Received welcome letter

March 3, 2008 - I-485 approval letter sent

March 6, 2008 - Green card arrived in mail.

November 2009 - Removal of conditions...

However, if you acknowledge it is a Canadian company then your theory is shot out of the water. A Canadian has every right to work for a Canadian company, whether it's in the U.S. or Timbuckfriggintoo.

If a Canadian based company is also a US employer then you theory is shot out of the water because the Canadian based company (and its Candian citizen US based employees) will be subject to US employment and tax law for that component of its operating activities that occur inside the US border.

Yet...they didn't have a problem with it. So why do you?

And a Canadian citizen who is in the United States legally, has every right to work for a Canadian company in the United States.

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

07/21/07 Entered United States on K1 visa

08/18 Married

10/20 Sent AOS package to Chicago; arrived on 10/22

11/21 Biometrics appointment

12/14 EAD card production ordered; AP approved

12/15 AOS transferred to CSC

12/22 AP arrives in mail

12/27 Received EAD in mail

02/15/08 Green Card production ordered

02/25 Received Welcome letter in mail

02/28 Green card arrived in mail. Done with USCIS for now

01/12/10 Sent I-751 to California Service Center; arrived on 1/14/2010

02/09 Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

03/08 Card production ordered

03/10 ROC approval letter arrives

03/15 Ten year Green card arrives

02/17/12 Mailed citizenship application

forget day Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

05/14 Interview and test in Indianapolis, Indiana

05/23 Received oath letter

06/15 Oath ceremony...end of the line.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
And a Canadian citizen who is in the United States legally, has every right to work for a Canadian company in the United States.

A Canadian citizen who is on a "tourist" visit is in the United States legally... however they do not have any right (defined as authorization) to work, so your statement is not correct...

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Joe Canuk what you fail to realize is that how could he be working if no EAD or Green Card in the USA legally?? He better shoot straight, they will find out, and by the way he is wanting to come to the USA so yes they can and they will tell him what to do, believe it, we experienced it, you are in the USA now not Canada. :whistle:

The last time I looked, Canada was a sovereign country and the United States had no right to tell Canadian citizens what they can and cannot do in their native country. I wouldn't sweat it. It's none of their business and really nothing you need to tell them. Good luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Actually, the main responsiblity does lay with the employer.

And try telling that to an IO at the AOS interview. :wacko:

I don't have to. But actually, the responsibility does lay with the employer. And next time, before you want to put the wacko emoticon, I'd suggest you find out what you're talking about first. Because you are flat out wrong.

Now, are you saying it is a Canadian company?

Take a chill pill. I quoted directly off the USCIS site and am sticking to it. Where's your proof?? I'm not saying its a Canadian company or not, cause I'm not the one working for it. My comments were based on if it was a Canadian based.

Your comments that people should work as soon as they are married would encourage unauthorized work. There is a reason people file and wait for EAD you know.

I think it is you who needs to take a chill pill. I followed the law. I am simply angry about it and stated so. Don't take it as if I'm advocating people go out and break the law. However, if you acknowledge it is a Canadian company then your theory is shot out of the water. A Canadian has every right to work for a Canadian company, whether it's in the U.S. or Timbuckfriggintoo.

Where's my proof? It's all over visajourney. The employer is responsible. And you provided absolutely zero proof to back up your position that the individual is responsible. Are you going to?

It doesn't matter who the employer is. If you work and are receiving compensation while you are a US resident, you need to have work authorization. Believe me, even if the USCIS doesn't care, the IRS will.

And the IRS has what authority over Canada?

The IRS has no authority over Canada. The IRS does have authority to tax anyone residing in the USA for any form of compensation earned while in the USA and also has the authority to bring criminal charges against anyone who fails to report that compensation.

We have a saying here in the USA, "Two things are certain, DEATH AND TAXES" and for good reason. Do not think the IRS will not check it, for they do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.