bradcanuck

Before my interview, I may want to let some skeletons out

77 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

During my AOS process my wife and I rang up a lot of debt. With the wedding and CC debt piling up and me unable to leave to work in Canada, I found myself having to take side contracts from employers in Canada. This was before my EAD arrived. So yes, I was working "under the table" so to speak.

I feel I need to fess up during the interview that I did this. If asked, should I be honest? Are people forgiven for this typically? I am afraid I will get a stern IO that will slap us in the face with a denial due to bitterness etc. Let me know.. 11 hours and counting. Thanks.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

if it was from employers in canada, wouldn't you be allowed to work because it wasn't an american company? that raises a good question.

either way i wouldn't admit to anything at the interview. just my imho.

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

The last time I looked, Canada was a sovereign country and the United States had no right to tell Canadian citizens what they can and cannot do in their native country. I wouldn't sweat it. It's none of their business and really nothing you need to tell them. Good luck.

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

07/21/07 Entered United States on K1 visa

08/18 Married

10/20 Sent AOS package to Chicago; arrived on 10/22

11/21 Biometrics appointment

12/14 EAD card production ordered; AP approved

12/15 AOS transferred to CSC

12/22 AP arrives in mail

12/27 Received EAD in mail

02/15/08 Green Card production ordered

02/25 Received Welcome letter in mail

02/28 Green card arrived in mail. Done with USCIS for now

01/12/10 Sent I-751 to California Service Center; arrived on 1/14/2010

02/09 Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

03/08 Card production ordered

03/10 ROC approval letter arrives

03/15 Ten year Green card arrives

02/17/12 Mailed citizenship application

forget day Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

05/14 Interview and test in Indianapolis, Indiana

05/23 Received oath letter

06/15 Oath ceremony...end of the line.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
During my AOS process my wife and I rang up a lot of debt. With the wedding and CC debt piling up and me unable to leave to work in Canada, I found myself having to take side contracts from employers in Canada. This was before my EAD arrived. So yes, I was working "under the table" so to speak.

I feel I need to fess up during the interview that I did this. If asked, should I be honest? Are people forgiven for this typically? I am afraid I will get a stern IO that will slap us in the face with a denial due to bitterness etc. Let me know.. 11 hours and counting. Thanks.

Even if they were Canadian companies, you were on US soil so I would think it would be considered unauthorized work, but unauthorized work is forgiven through marriage to a USC. It wasn't even brought up at my husband's interview, and per the INA, they cannot deny you for working alone.

If asked, I wouldn't lie.

Edited: Krikit clarified that is it okay, since you weren't working for a US company. I didn't know this...learn something new everyday :) Either way then, you should be fine and I still wouldn't lie :P

The last time I looked, Canada was a sovereign country and the United States had no right to tell Canadian citizens what they can and cannot do in their native country. I wouldn't sweat it. It's none of their business and really nothing you need to tell them. Good luck.

He wasn't IN Canada, he was in the US, the companies were just Canadian companies.

Edited by meow mix

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Sorry. The words "employers IN Canada" led me to believe he was IN Canada.

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

07/21/07 Entered United States on K1 visa

08/18 Married

10/20 Sent AOS package to Chicago; arrived on 10/22

11/21 Biometrics appointment

12/14 EAD card production ordered; AP approved

12/15 AOS transferred to CSC

12/22 AP arrives in mail

12/27 Received EAD in mail

02/15/08 Green Card production ordered

02/25 Received Welcome letter in mail

02/28 Green card arrived in mail. Done with USCIS for now

01/12/10 Sent I-751 to California Service Center; arrived on 1/14/2010

02/09 Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

03/08 Card production ordered

03/10 ROC approval letter arrives

03/15 Ten year Green card arrives

02/17/12 Mailed citizenship application

forget day Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

05/14 Interview and test in Indianapolis, Indiana

05/23 Received oath letter

06/15 Oath ceremony...end of the line.

Filed: Timeline

You are working for a Canadian-based company, so US work authorization does not apply. I did the same. All the EAD does is give you the right to work for an employer in the US, and the US employer the right to hire you. Think of it this way..... when someone employed in another country comes to the US on business they do not have to apply for employment authorization first. That is because they are not here working for a US-based company.... they are working for a foreign-based company.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Timeline

I agree with Krikit. EAD is for working in the US, for a US company. I considered being on contract with my former employer since I could work remotely.

I don't think you had a problem...what did you do illegally? Do you figure they'll ask if you worked? I think you'll find a few people on VJ who've done the same.

Cheers

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

My husband owns his own business in his home country and has continued to earn a living from it after arrival in the US. As far as I know, he is only prohibited to work for a US based company until he receives EAD...I never read anywhere that there is a problem with what he or you are doing. I wouldn't bring it up at the interview, but if asked specifically, I see no reason to lie about it.

ROC Journey:

01/19/2010 - Mailed ROC paperwork to Vermont Service Center

01/21/2010 - ROC package arrived at VSC

01/26/2010 - Check cashed

01/28/2010 - Received NOA, GC extended for 1 year

02/25/2010 - Biometrics taken

04/23/2010 - Conditions lifted! :)

05/01/2010 - Ten-year GC received...on hubby's birthday! Yay!

MeandOzzy.jpg

Timeline

Thanks so much. I didn't think I did anything wrong. It's not like I was working for a US co (not like I would be able to find anyone to give a non social holder a job anyway LOL!)

I feel 100x better now. Okay we're prepping, go time in exactly 3 hours!

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Filed: Timeline
Thanks so much. I didn't think I did anything wrong. It's not like I was working for a US co (not like I would be able to find anyone to give a non social holder a job anyway LOL!)

I feel 100x better now. Okay we're prepping, go time in exactly 3 hours!

You didn't do anything wrong, Brad. You'll be fine. We'll be thinking of you. You can do iiiiiiiitttttt!!!!!

P.S. Don't forget to report back in as soon as you're done. :thumbs:

iagree.gif

If any, I think a problem could be with taxes, but the only thing you can make out of it so far would be to consider that:

1) you are not an USC and not even a resident in USA;

2) the employer was a foreign one, not based in USA;

3) the only "local" element would be that you worked on USA territory.

I doubt it, from the general principles of international law and taxation that I know, that this could constitute reasons enough for you to register and pay taxes here, as long as they are paid for this income in the country where your employer resides (especially that I believe Canada and USA must have a treaty to avoid double taxation...).

Go relaxed to your interview and best of luck! We are all praying for you and you will be fine :)

Edited by Sapphire

K-1 petition

February 6th 2007 - K1 petition sent to TSC

February 16th 2007 - cheque cashed

February 22nd 2007 - NOA1 received by mail!

May 16th - received NOA2 hardcopy

May 25th - first set of documents received home in Bucharest (list of documents to present at the interview) - based on fiance's request to open a provisional file

May 30th - packet arrived at the Embassy, Embassy notifies us about it.

June 21st - interview APPROVED!

June 22nd - VISA

August 17th - arriving in USA, through JFK

Sept 8th - wedding :)

AOS

Nov. 14th 2007 - delivered in Chicago

Dec. 18th 2007 - NOA for AOS, EAD, AP

Jan. 08th 2008 - Biometrics

Jan 09th 2008 - Transferred to CSC

Jan 09th 2008 - AP approved, EAD card production ordered

Jan 16th 2008 - AP in mail

Jan 19th 2008 - EAD in mail!!!

Jan 24th 2008 - AOS touch

Feb 05th 2008 - AOS touch

Feb 06th 2008 - AOS touch - RFE sent out

March 7th 2008 - Sent response to RFE (new medical)

March 28th 2008 - CRIS e-mail: CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED

April 4th 2008 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED

ROC

Feb. 5th - package delivered at USCIS Vermont

Feb 11th - check cashed

Feb 13th - NOA 1 received for myself (NOA date: 02/05)

Feb 26th - Biometrics

Feb 28th - touch

March 1st - touch

April 26th - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
You are working for a Canadian-based company, so US work authorization does not apply. I did the same. All the EAD does is give you the right to work for an employer in the US, and the US employer the right to hire you. Think of it this way..... when someone employed in another country comes to the US on business they do not have to apply for employment authorization first. That is because they are not here working for a US-based company.... they are working for a foreign-based company.

This is so wrong.... employment authorization is required for working in the US for ANY company that has US nexus

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

This is so wrong.... employment authorization is required for working in the US for ANY company that has US nexus

I agree with fwaguy. EAD is required to work in the US.

Here's something straight off the USCIS site:

"EAD: This document proves you are allowed to work in the United States."

Brad worked while in the US... even though the company was Canadian based.

12140.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I agree with fwaguy. EAD is required to work in the US.

Here's something straight off the USCIS site:

"EAD: This document proves you are allowed to work in the United States."

Brad worked while in the US... even though the company was Canadian based.

That's what I thought...but everyone else seemed to disagree so I edited my post in case I was giving bad info.

Is there any way you can ask a qualified immigration attorney before the interview, Brad?

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.