DannyT1991

Visiting the USA On a Esta should i say girlfriend or friend

9 posts in this topic

Timeline

Hey im a 26 year old male with a job in London ive been to the USA 3 times all on a ESTA once in 2013 and twice after meeting my girlfriend, once in 2016 September and once in 2017 June both them visits have been for 2 weeks and both them times i told them i was visiting a friend im just abit worried now because when i went in June 2017 i was asked even more questions for example 

Whats the Purpose of you coming to the states: Vacation

How long you staying: 2 weeks 

Who lives on this address: a friend Plus the name of my friend

How long have you known this friend: 2 years

Where did you meet her: London

Where do you work: at a bakery with my dad

then i went on my merry way 

now im visiting in January 2018 with a return ticket back home and after seeing all these threads there is nothing wrong with saying girlfriend and im looking to say

purpose of travel: Vacation

and if they ask who lives in this address or who do i know in the states im gonna reply Girlfriend

does anyone think this will be a problem 

Edited by DannyT1991

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I used to say GF.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Friend is fine. But don't be surprised if they ask "Girlfriend?" afterwards either.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

Thanks guys I'm gonna say I'm gonna visit my girlfriend I have evidence that I will need to come back for example I can get a little from my manager saying that I have been given two weeks of and would be expected back to work I'm also on the process of doing my British naturalisation in November so I would need to come back for the ceremony to become a British citizen I can can show them emails from the home office showing that I'm on the process of doing that 

I'd go with 'visiting my girlfriend for 2 weeks'

If you say 'friend' and then 10 seconds later they discover it's your girlfriend they'll be wondering why weren't being honest.

I made 4 trips to the US, the last trip we were engaged. I only got hard questioning the 3rd time. How did you meet/have you met face to face/how many times have you met/how long are you staying/whose house are you staying at/do you have a return flight/what do you do for work/what does she do/what does she study.

When I visited after we were engaged and had applied for the K-1 I said 'visiting my fianceé for thanksgiving'. He simply asked if she was a US citizen and stamped my passport!

N-400 Timeline

March 16 2021 - Interview & same day Oath Ceremony, Ft. Myers FL - Officially a US citizen!

February 8 2021 - Interview Scheduled for March 16th

January 20 2021 - Received Biometric Reuse Letter

September 1 2020 - Filed Online

ROC Timeline

December 14 2020 - Green Card Received

December 12 2020 - Approval Notice Received

December 8 2020 - Approval Email, Case Status Updated

November 4 2019 - Completed Biometric at USCIS Tampa

October 26 2019 - Received Biometric Appointment Letter - Scheduled Nov 4th

July 25 2019 - Received 18 Month Extension Letter

July 23 2019 - Check cashed

July 22 2019 - Text notification, #YSC Potomac

July 17 2019 - Packet delivered

July 15 2019 - Packet mailed to Dallas

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I said friend or friends the whole time. My wife  thought it was stupid to call each other BF and GF at our age. She said it sounded "Jr. High" whatever that means. Never called each other fiancé either, to anybody including CBP.

I guess it just depends on what you  personally feel comfortable saying.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.