shipbroker

Checks not yet Cashed. When Should I Start Worrying?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello,

Three weeks ago I sent out my N-400 application. The package was complete and was sent to the Texas Lockbox. My Lawyer said she sent it through regular mail and therefore tracking is not available. Its been 3 weeks now and I have nothing to hold on to. My checks are not cashed yet and I am getting worried. My previous experiences with USCIS was very prompt. Both times they cashed my checks with in 5 days of filing.

Now I am looking at similar timelines of other people and looks like they are all getting processed pretty fast. Should I keep waiting? Should I refile? I would appreciate some thoughts. Thanks a lot.

Filed: Timeline

Did your lawyer send in Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance with your application? If not, then have your lawyer do a follow-up at no charge to you, because she obviously is incompetent.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Did your lawyer send in Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance with your application? If not, then have your lawyer do a follow-up at no charge to you, because she obviously is incompetent.

I don't get why people waste money on lawyers. From what I've read on here it seems to take longer with a lawyer. They drag it out to get more money.

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

90 days, 3 months, is too long.

When you get past 90 days, freak out, officially.

For now, relax..

or

My Lawyer said she sent it through regular mail and therefore tracking is not available. Its been 3 weeks now and I have nothing to hold on to I will suggest to you, strongly, that you have the wrong lawyer.

You've been a member here a bit more than 4 years and you chose to use an attorney to file for yer citizenship. I think the majority of folk reading this would question that decision, to engage with an attorney.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Timeline

I bet an Express Mail envelope (which is what I used back then) for around $15 would have been cheaper and faster than having to pay a lawyer to mail it as cheaply as possible.

Retaining an attorney to fill out and mail forms for an administrative process such as the N-400 makes as much sense as hiring a registered nurse to wipe your buttocks when you come out of the bathroom and did number 2.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

** Moving from Bringing Family to US Citizenship forum for more answers ***

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I don't get why people waste money on lawyers. From what I've read on here it seems to take longer with a lawyer. They drag it out to get more money.

i disagree.. had all my paperworks were done thru a lawyer from my initial gc to my n400.. she was present when i did the interview with my wife for my gc.. and everything went fast and smooth.. i guess it all depends on what leech,. i mean, lawyer you get..

Edited by av8or

LPR 2007

CITIZENSHIP 2012

N-400 filed based marriage to usc = april ??

biometrics = june 21

interview = august 2

oath taking = august 29

done..

Timeline

I will ask her. Thanks for the note. Also, is there a better way to follow up with USCIS than the generic customer service line? Because they weren't very helpful when I called. The agent on the phone told me that I had to wait up to six months (which is insane). I have a feeling they are not problem solvers. They just read whatever the book is saying.

Any thoughts?

Timeline

90 days, 3 months, is too long.

When you get past 90 days, freak out, officially.

For now, relax..

or

My Lawyer said she sent it through regular mail and therefore tracking is not available. Its been 3 weeks now and I have nothing to hold on to I will suggest to you, strongly, that you have the wrong lawyer.

You've been a member here a bit more than 4 years and you chose to use an attorney to file for yer citizenship. I think the majority of folk reading this would question that decision, to engage with an attorney.

Hi. The only reason I used a lawyer is because I travel too much and I wanted to make sure that the letters arrived and read at a timely manner (guess I was wrong).

Everyone I talked to have their checks cashed with in the first week. And I have done it twice already for my GC. USCIS was very quick at collecting the money. What might be the reason that it is taking to long? 1-Package never arrived? 2-Something is wrong with the checks? 3-Something else?

Filed: Timeline

I will ask her. Thanks for the note. Also, is there a better way to follow up with USCIS than the generic customer service line? Because they weren't very helpful when I called. The agent on the phone told me that I had to wait up to six months (which is insane). I have a feeling they are not problem solvers. They just read whatever the book is saying.

Any thoughts?

There is no urgency to the N-400, since there is no expiry on your ability to file. Patience might be needed, or when you, or your lawyer talk to the USCIS, ask to talk to a tier 2 officer. Perhaps they might be able to use your SSN or A# to see if your filing has been entered into the system.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If there was a problem with the check, they would have sent it back to you with the whole package. In my opinion, 3 weeks is a long time for them to not have cashed the check. I would try calling USCIS again and try to get escalated to a second tier person where you can give your name and ask them to find out if they have any current cases pending for you. 6 months to wait is ridiculous because they would never wait that long to cash your check unless the package had been lost. If that doesn't work, maybe you can schedule an infopass. I wouldn't send in a new package until you can verify that they really did not receive the other one. I also agree with the comment that your lawyer should be doing any follow up free of charge since no delivery confirmation or email confirmation forms were used. This process is too important not to have some kind of confirmation that your package has arrived. Good luck! I hope you can find out something soon!

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Some Lawyers suck. I can't believe He/She sent the package without return receipt or confirmation at the minimum...

my thoughts exactly. even certified mail cost only $2.95 cents! i would suggest you cancel that check and refile YOURSELF. citizenship is very straightforward to require a lawyer unless there is a twist somewhere to make you feel safer in the hands of an attorney.

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.