pantonia

silly thing: dairy products

67 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

I've been a month here and I haven't been able to find regular yogurt at Walmart. there's a big aisle with lots of different kinds, brands and flavors but they are all low fat and taste terrible. I've tried different brands and flavors but no luck. I just don't like low fat dairy products. is there another store we can go to or should just give up hope?

with butter I already kinda gave up. it was hard to find regular butter (no margarine or organic weird butter) and it tastes pretty different but I've adapted, but yogurt is just hard and I'm tires of eating my cereal dry :(

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Don't give up yet. I personally like Stonyfield Organic Smoothie. I know they're not real yogurt, but I love the taste and flavor.

Not sure if there is any Wegman's or Trader Joe's near you. I like the Trader Joe's flip yogurt. I think Yoplait is pretty good too if you like sweet and not very thick yogurt.

Edited by Yilees

Try an actual grocery store?

http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=grocery&find_loc=Denton%2C+TX

I personally prefer the greek yogurt vs the runnier kinds. I have never had yogurt with cereal though... I've always used milk.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Try an actual grocery store?

http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=grocery&find_loc=Denton%2C+TX

I personally prefer the greek yogurt vs the runnier kinds. I have never had yogurt with cereal though... I've always used milk.

We just do walmart because we don't have much money and we actually find everything we need there, but thanks, I'll try some other stores then for the yogurt. And yeah, I'm weird I think, my husband finds it disgusting that I like cereal with yogurt and not with milk :rofl:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Serbia
Timeline

Try kefir. Not sure about what constitutes yogurt in Chile, but the thing generally called kefir in the US (the plain, unsweetened one) is what I'd label as yogurt here in Serbia (and similar, albeit thicker, than what they call ayran in Turkey). I stress in the US, since we also have a dairy product called kefir in Serbia, but all of the kefir I had in the US was much closer to what I'd call yogurt back home than kefir.

walmart-lifeway.jpg

P.S. Corn flakes + yogurt (the liquid kind) = awesome :D

Edited by rutabaga

Timeline

Try kefir. Not sure about what constitutes yogurt in Chile, but the thing generally called kefir in the US (the plain, unsweetened one) is what I'd label as yogurt here in Serbia (and similar, albeit thicker, than what they call ayran in Turkey). I stress in the US, since we also have a dairy product called kefir in Serbia, but all of the kefir I had in the US was much closer to what I'd call yogurt back home than kefir.

walmart-lifeway.jpg

great!!! I'll try it!!! looks better than what I've found so far

My mom loves yogurt with her oatmeal so I understand. My step-father eats granola with yogurt too, but if you like the runnier kinds, yes try kefir.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm not a fan of greek yogurt.

The regular low fat yogart is gross. Low fat anything is bad for you anyway so should be avoided.

What I did find is look for some marketed for kids/babies. They do have full fat and not all sugar/high fructose corn syrup. That is what really wrecks the taste for me.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

I totally agree on the high fructose corn syrup. Anything with that in there just tends to be gross.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

We just do walmart because we don't have much money and we actually find everything we need there, but thanks, I'll try some other stores then for the yogurt. And yeah, I'm weird I think, my husband finds it disgusting that I like cereal with yogurt and not with milk :rofl:

When i'm there I find the grocery store cheaper then Walmart? Maybe you should see what's around your area.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Get the Walmart savings app. They will price check with local competitors and if someone else has a lower price they will match it. now certain things they don't match but every penny counts!

When i'm there I find the grocery store cheaper then Walmart? Maybe you should see what's around your area.

We do a combination of kroger and walmart. Somethings are cheaper at one vs the other. Plus we are a family of 8 so we shop for more then some.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

I've been a month here and I haven't been able to find regular yogurt at Walmart. there's a big aisle with lots of different kinds, brands and flavors but they are all low fat and taste terrible. I've tried different brands and flavors but no luck. I just don't like low fat dairy products. is there another store we can go to or should just give up hope?

with butter I already kinda gave up. it was hard to find regular butter (no margarine or organic weird butter) and it tastes pretty different but I've adapted, but yogurt is just hard and I'm tires of eating my cereal dry :(

I thought I was the only one being picky, it does taste weird and different! I tried Whole foods market, the yogurt tastes weird too. Theres a weird strong taste in the yogurt here.

The milk is kinda different too, more diluted.

Apple juices are extremely sweet!

Edited by Roy&Chanel

Removal of Conditions I-751

29 December 2017 - ROC Filing Opening Date (Expiry 29 Mar 2018)

29 December 2017 - I-751 Priority Mail shipped to VSC

2 January 2018 - Package delivered

8 January 2018 - Check cashed in

11 January 2018 - NOA received (DATE of NOA: 3 JAN 2018)

22 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment letter received

30 January 2018 - Biometrics Appointment

11 August 2018 - 18 Months extension received (Exp on Sept 2019)

8 April 2019 - I751 Approved

12 April 2019 - NOA and greencard received

Help us all by updating your Timeline and Profile!:D

1. Click on your blue nickname on top right corner, there will be a dropdown menu> My Timeline > Edit/Add My Entry.

2. Click on your blue nickname at top right corner, dropdown menu > Account Settings > Profile > Edit Profile (Black button) > change your Filed for and Location.

3. If you would like to update your signature, click on your blue nickname on top right corner, dropdown menu> Account Settings > Left menu click on Signature.

IMPT: If you change address, DO NOT FORGET TO fill up AR-11 Online,for your USC Spouse, fill up I-865! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It took me almost a year to find a butter in the US that I would eat, after being used to Russian and European kinds of butter, almost every butter I tried here tastes gross and not natural, often has some strange tasting "butter flavor" in ingredients etc. Finally I found that Simple Truth organic butter (it's a Kroger store family brand) actually tastes fine and pretty close to natural local butter I used to eat in Russia, it doesn't have any additives and flavorings as well. If you don't mind to spend couple extra bucks on butter I found that Land-O-Lakes European Style butter is actually even better, nothing like weird butter they make for US consumers under the same brand. It's kinda pricey and being sold in small 1/2lb black cartons but it's a very good butter.

- Victor from Russia

Edited by Amy_and_Victor

Our timlines K1 visa - Citizenship (06.28.2011 - 08.01.2016)

K1 Visa Timeline (06.28.2011 - 04.07.2012)

• 06-28-2011: I-129F sent to Dallas
  • 07-05-2011: NOA1 (CSC)
  • 01-05-2012: NOA2 (184 days since NOA1)
  • 01-13-2012: NVC passed
  • 01-19-2012: Embassy received our case
  • 02-14-2012: Interview PASSED! :D K-1 Visa Approved! :D
  • 03-08-2012: POE
  • 04-07-2012: Wedding!

AOS/EAD Timeline (04.26.2012 - 12.13.2012)

• 04-26-2012: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago Lockbox
  • 05-02-2012: NOA1 (both I-485 and I-765)
  • 05-23-2012: Biometrics taken
  • 07-02-2012: Employment Authorization Issued (07-09-2012 - received in the mail)
  • 12-03-2012: Made Service Request for I-485, because case is beyond processing time
  • 12-07-2012: I-485 APPROVED! 219 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 12-13-2012: GreenCard in the mailbox, done with AOS!

Lifting of conditions Timeline (09.04.2014 - 01.14.2015)

• 09-04-2014: I-751 sent to CSC
  • 09-08-2014: NOA1
  • 11-10-2014: Biometrics taken
  • 01-07-2015: Approved! Only 122 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 01-14-2015: GreenCard in the mailbox

Citizenship Timeline (09.03.2015 - 01.08.2016)

- 09-03-2015: N-400 sent to Phoenix

- 09-10-2015: NOA1

- 10-08-2015: Biometrics taken

- 10-28-2015: Case is in line for an interview

- 11-02-2015: Letter with Naturalization Interview Appointment

- 12-07-2015: Interview passed

- 01-08-2016: Naturalization Oath Ceremony, I'm a US citizen now!

tTM3p3.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.