pantonia

silly thing: dairy products

67 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If anybody knows a decent Branston style pickle let me know.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I'm confused then :( which one is condensed milk? (can't open the link you sent above just yet). The one I mean is very heavy, yellowish and VERY sweet (that's why germans didn't really know it or like it!) .

Oh, then you do want "sweetened condensed milk." Do you drink this straight? I've never heard of that :)

Looks like this:

k2-_b805a5b5-0b91-43c1-b1a4-0750db168408

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

If anybody knows a decent Branston style pickle let me know.

I know you are joking but you can get it on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Blackwell-Branston-Pickle-520g/dp/B0001LVX4K

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Serbia
Timeline

I'm confused then :( which one is condensed milk? (can't open the link you sent above just yet). The one I mean is very heavy, yellowish and VERY sweet (that's why germans didn't really know it or like it!) .

Yup, then you definitely want the thing called (sweetened) condensed milk (like the one Harpa just posted above) since evaporated milk doesn't have any added sugar.

P.S. Like the link says, condensed milk and sweetened condensed milk are the same thing since the added sugar in condensed milk is pretty much the only difference between it and evaporated milk.

Timeline

I know you are joking but you can get it on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Blackwell-Branston-Pickle-520g/dp/B0001LVX4K

Actually I wasn't but first things first welcome back.

I am used to the Supermarkets also doing their own variants, a small jar for $9 is ouch. I still have some left from when my Brother came over but was looking for a bulk supply. Ploughmans Lunches etc for the summer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Totally different, Vegemite is for those down under, could not stand Marmite.

Is that anything like vegemite?

Dunno :)

Never had either but I do like to talk about food.

First time I went to the UK I was expecting pickles on a sandwich and thought that when a menu said pickle it was because they couldn't spell :D

I think, though, that vegemite cannot be imported because it has meat in it and the US is very strict about meat imports.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Actually I wasn't but first things first welcome back.

I am used to the Supermarkets also doing their own variants, a small jar for $9 is ouch. I still have some left from when my Brother came over but was looking for a bulk supply. Ploughmans Lunches etc for the summer.

Blame it on the strong pound?

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Oh, then you do want "sweetened condensed milk." Do you drink this straight? I've never heard of that :)

Looks like this:

k2-_b805a5b5-0b91-43c1-b1a4-0750db168408

thanks! and no, I don't drink it straight, although I'm ashamed to admit that after my abstinence period in germany I did drink it straight when I finally foud it.

Usually we eat bananas with it or we use it to bake desserts.

Timeline

Blame it on the strong pound?

Still 5 times the normal cost. Becomes a delicacy carefully measured rather than a routine condiment.

thanks! and no, I don't drink it straight, although I'm ashamed to admit that after my abstinence period in germany I did drink it straight when I finally foud it.

Usually we eat bananas with it or we use it to bake desserts.

Common product in the UK, you can use it instead of Custard.

Still 5 times the normal cost. Becomes a delicacy carefully measured rather than a routine condiment.

Okay so rough math, it is £3 on amazon.co.uk, which is roughly $4.50 so it's only twice as much :P

Pickle for all!

This does make me want to try it. Acquired taste I presume.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=256632597

$2 at Tesco's, which is much more than I remember, Own brand is much cheaper.

Never really thought about it being acquired taste as it is a regular product. Not sure how it goes down here, I have introduced people to HP and everybody I have shared Chocolate with has liked it.

Edited by Boiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.