k1-2016

April 2017 AOS Filers

2,030 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
14 hours ago, narakthisud said:

I'm guessing the main difference from VWP and K1 adjusters is the possibility for an interview wavier. If you adjust from an F1, J1, VWP, etc, you'll most likely get an interview. Not so much for K1's, from what I've read here on VJ.

We were able to somehow get an Infopass appointment tomorrow. I hope we get a better answer than we got with the SR. Wish us luck!

Yeah that makes sense!

Ahh good luck! Let us know how it goes!! :)

1 hour ago, MAYNYCFiler2017 said:

Thank you! Still at 'fingerprint fee received'

I hope we hear something soon. This is nerve-wracking. :/

Dec 2020 filers spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1krjUsYJAXqbDIuNL0y9UY2uOcBt5dr1Ji1jdbO63Dj0/edit?usp=sharing

USCIS journey so far:

Spoiler

N-400

Filed application online: 12/01/2020

Concurrent filing (I-130 & I-485)

Priority date: April 03, 2017 

NOAs received: April 17, 2017 (dated: April 12)

Biometrics apt: May 05, 2017 (notice received: April 21)

EAD card being produced (online status change): June 29, 2017

NOA2 (approval notice) received for EAD/AP: July 03, 2017

EAD card mailed to me (online status change): July 05, 2017

EAD/AP combo card in hand: July 08, 2017

Online case update - Interview is scheduled: Jan 26, 2018

Interview and online status update ('Card being produced') : Feb 27, 2018

Eligibility to file N-400: 11/30/2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I just had my biometrics done after 105 days since the last status change.  I am so happy right now. 

But that also means back to stalking the case tracker every day. 

And all of my cases still have the initial status message either case received or fingerprint fee received. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Guyana
Timeline
27 minutes ago, strider4 said:

I hope we hear something soon. This is nerve-wracking. :/

I am in NY so my wait would be very long 8 - 12 months. My EAD was approved last week so all I want to do now is find me a job.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey there! Fellow April filer and former VJ stalker but decided to bite the bullet, join the group and participate in this discussion. I have some questions. I received my EAD in the mail today and am waiting for my interview (I-485 status = *Case ready to be scheduled for an interview* since 27Jun2017). My status for I-130 is still *Case was received*. Anybody else in the same boat? Do I need the I-130 status to change before I'll be scheduled for an interview? Are both forms being processed at the same place/ From the I-765, it appears so..... unless I'm missing something. I really want that interview date!!

Any info is appreciated. I'm really ready to have this whole process & accompanying stress behind me!!

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
1 hour ago, MAYNYCFiler2017 said:

I am in NY so my wait would be very long 8 - 12 months. My EAD was approved last week so all I want to do now is find me a job.

Did you file a SR or request to expedite? 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Guyana
Timeline
3 minutes ago, ahas44 said:

Did you file a SR or request to expedite? 

On my 95th day August 1st I put in a SR For beyond normal time n got response same day. Then three days later my EAD n AP was approved.

2 hours ago, MAYNYCFiler2017 said:

The waiting times are similarly excruciatingly long here in California. :( Good luck with the job-hunt. :) 

Dec 2020 filers spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1krjUsYJAXqbDIuNL0y9UY2uOcBt5dr1Ji1jdbO63Dj0/edit?usp=sharing

USCIS journey so far:

Spoiler

N-400

Filed application online: 12/01/2020

Concurrent filing (I-130 & I-485)

Priority date: April 03, 2017 

NOAs received: April 17, 2017 (dated: April 12)

Biometrics apt: May 05, 2017 (notice received: April 21)

EAD card being produced (online status change): June 29, 2017

NOA2 (approval notice) received for EAD/AP: July 03, 2017

EAD card mailed to me (online status change): July 05, 2017

EAD/AP combo card in hand: July 08, 2017

Online case update - Interview is scheduled: Jan 26, 2018

Interview and online status update ('Card being produced') : Feb 27, 2018

Eligibility to file N-400: 11/30/2020

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Just got back from the Infopass appointment. The ISO was pleasant and we were given a lot of good information. I'll be posting details soon. Needless to say, I feel a little bit better about our application. Will post a full update once I can gather my thoughts!

K1 visa journey: 107 days from NOA1 to visa in hand

Spoiler

01 Oct 2016    Mailed I-129F packet (27 pages)
12 Oct 2016    NOA1 SMS and e-mail
03 Nov 2016    NOA2 SMS

24 Jan 2017    Interview
27 Jan 2017    Visa in hand
09 Feb 2017    POE Philadelphia, PA

AOS journey: 256 days from NOA1 to GC in hand

Spoiler

06 Apr 2017    Mailed I-485/I-131/I-765 packet (83 pages)

12 Apr 2017    I-485/I-131/I-765 packet delivered

26 May 2017    Biometrics appointment

25 Aug 2017    EAD/AP card approved

07 Dec 2017    AOS interview

18 Dec 2017    Conditional (2 year) GC in hand!

ROC journey: 374 days

Spoiler

09 Sep 2019    Mailed ROC packet via USPS Priority Mail (ETA 11 Sep)

20 Sep 2019    NOA1/18-month extension letter received

23 Jan 2020    Biometrics appointment

17 Sep 2020    Case approved without interview

Citizenship journey

09 Sep 2020      Submitted N-400 online

10 Dec 2020      Received biometrics reuse notice

20 Apr 2021      Received interview notice

25 May 2021      Interview - RFE for marital evidence

26 May 2021      RFE response submitted online

Cumulative number of pages sent to USCIS: 632

2 minutes ago, narakthisud said:

Just got back from the Infopass appointment. The ISO was pleasant and we were given a lot of good information. I'll be posting details soon. Needless to say, I feel a little bit better about our application. Will post a full update once I can gather my thoughts!

Looking forward to reading it ! I scheduled an appointment for next week!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
1 hour ago, Rachelberry said:

Hey there! Fellow April filer and former VJ stalker but decided to bite the bullet, join the group and participate in this discussion. I have some questions. I received my EAD in the mail today and am waiting for my interview (I-485 status = *Case ready to be scheduled for an interview* since 27Jun2017). My status for I-130 is still *Case was received*. Anybody else in the same boat? Do I need the I-130 status to change before I'll be scheduled for an interview? Are both forms being processed at the same place/ From the I-765, it appears so..... unless I'm missing something. I really want that interview date!!

Any info is appreciated. I'm really ready to have this whole process & accompanying stress behind me!!

From what I gathered in this forum, the I-765 and I-131 are processed at the NBC and the I-485 is sent from there to be processed at your local USCIS office, which may or may not decide to schedule an interview. I do not think you need a I-130 status change to be scheduled for an interview, it establishes your eligibility for the I-485 and if the status for I-485 is 'ready to be scheduled for interview' it has done its job.

I think you live in Philadelphia and it being a big city may result in waiting a little longer to be scheduled for an interview. But then I am in Boston and I got scheduled in two months so who knows really.

Congrats on the EAD and I hope you hear about interview soon!

K-1, AOS, ROC, Citizenship timeline below:

Spoiler

Met in school summer of 2011, started dating May 2012, engaged June 2016

07/15/2016 - Sent K-1 visa documents                    04/20/2017 - Mailed AOS package                                              09/16/2019 - Mailed ROC package to wrong center

07/19/2016 - NOA1 (California Service Center)         04/23/2017 - AOS package delivered                                          09/19/2019 - Printed everything again and mailed it correctly

09/02/2016 - NOA2 (45 days)                                 04/29/2017 - AOS text and email notifications                             09/23/2019 - ROC Case Was Received

09/15/2016 - NVC case number assigned                 05/04/2017 - NOA1 received for AOS, EAD, AP                            12/02/2019 - Biometrics Appointment (Got notice late, missed appt)

09/29/2016 - Case is "Ready" at embassy                05/22/2017 - Biometrics taken                                                   12/09/2019 - Biometrics taken, walk-in

10/06/2016 - Got an interview date!                        06/14/2017 - Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for Interview            12/10/2019 - Fingerprint Review Was Completed

11/06/2016 - Scheduled the medical!                       08/03/2017 - Interview is Scheduled                                           04/22/2020 - Case Was Received At My Local Office

12/06/2016 - Medical done!                                    09/06/2017 - Interview time!                                                     05/22/2020 - New Card Is Being Produced

12/12/2016 - Interview done! Visa approved!            09/06/2017 - RFE for (lost) medical                                            05/26/2020 - Case Was Approved

12/16/2016 - Visa issued                                         09/19/2017 - New medical submitted (in person)                         05/30/2020 - Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

12/19/2016 - Passport with visa, envelope in hand     09/26/2017 - New Card is Being Produced (online update)                                       (First class mail, tracking provided)                     

01/11/2017 - POE!!!                                               09/29/2017 - Received I-797 Approval Notice                                                  06/28/2020 - N-400 application window opens!

04/06/2017 - Married                                                                              Card Was Mailed to Me                                                 07/13/2020 - N-400 application submitted!

10/04/2017 - Green card in hand!                                                                  11/23/2020 - Called for a service request

12/04/2020 - Biometrics scheduled online notice

12/31/2020 - Biometrics appointment

06/24/2021 - Interview Notice (interview on 7/27/2021)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
20 minutes ago, narakthisud said:

Below is a quick summary of today's trip to our local USCIS office in Philadelphia for an Infopass appointment. The main concern was my wife's EAD/AP card being past the usual 90 day processing time frame. I've collapsed the summary into a "spoiler" section since it's a little long and some people might not want to read the whole thing.

So, here goes:

Reveal hidden contents
  • We arrived right at 1:00 PM for our 1:15 PM appointment, which was good since the registration window didn't reopen until after the ISO's finish their lunch breaks at 1:00 PM.
  • We went through airport-style security although we didn't have to take off our shoes. :) 
  • The guy at the registration window (#1) was pleasant and helpful although all he did was ask us about our reason for visiting and assigned us a number. (Side note: I thought we already supplied this information when we made the appointment.) 
  • We went back and sat down. We were called up about 5 minutes later and approached ISO Benedict's window. He was easy to talk with although not particularly chatty or jovial. Par for the course? 
  • I explained our concern that my wife's application was received on April 13 with no further notices (beyond biometrics appointment on May 26 and SR response on August 7). He was able to tell me that my wife's EAD/AP application was in front of an officer as of August 8. Her interview was also in queue to be scheduled as of July 28. I told him that she's a K1 adjuster and was curious to know if the interview had been waived at this point. He said there was nothing on his screen showing one way or another.
  • He also mentioned that the "new administration" is causing lots of people to apply for various immigration benefits which is causing a backlog. (Not sure I believe that one, but I figured people here would be interested in hearing this.)
  • Here's something interesting I learned: because my wife applied for an EAD/AP combo card, the ISO said that both applications must be adjudicated together. (Sounds to me like another silly excuse for processing to take longer.)
  • I asked whether our case was being held up by something like an FBI Name Check, background check, etc. and he was able to tell me that "no derogatory information" was associated with our file. So that's good to know, at least!
  • He started talking about going down the expedite route and I asked what options we had. The reasons include financial hardship, humanitarian concerns, or a pending job offer. Unfortunately, my wife can't claim any of these. I asked whether it would make sense to bother with that at this point since her case is already in the hands of an adjudicator. He agreed that it probably wouldn't speed things up at this point.
  • He said that we should wait another 30 days before contacting USCIS. If we hear nothing, he encouraged us to make another Infopass appointment and skip the other channels. And here's the kicker: he specifically said to avoid calling the (mis-)information line/customer service!
  • Overall this was a productive visit, although I walked out the same way I walked in...we still need to wait. :( 
  • We were out the door by 2 pm and made our way to the grocery store to grab some hot peppers and Thai basil for dinner tonight! 

That's it!

If this post was helpful, please show some love by clicking the ♥ heart button. Thank you! :D

Sounds like it was a good appointment, but also kind of 'oh damn...back to waiting' ...haha. Well at least you know that her case is 'in line' and will hopefully move along soon!

You've kind of inspired me to make an infopass appointment because I'm now at day 115 and my only progress has been a successful biometrics (way back in mid May) and the I-485 'interview ready to be scheduled' status change. As I said I put in one SR and haven't had a reply... do you think an infopass appt would be wise??

(worked out how to edit ha) - ps I was looking at my field office where I'd make my infopass appt and it says 'If you are not within the San Bernadino jurisdiction, we may not be able to service you.' ---- does that mean if this isn't the office processing my case? All I know is National Benefits Center is handling my case... so what does that mean? Confused :/ 

Edited by lirnos

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
30 minutes ago, narakthisud said:

Below is a quick summary of today's trip to our local USCIS office in Philadelphia for an Infopass appointment. The main concern was my wife's EAD/AP card being past the usual 90 day processing time frame. I've collapsed the summary into a "spoiler" section since it's a little long and some people might not want to read the whole thing.

So, here goes:

Reveal hidden contents
  • We arrived right at 1:00 PM for our 1:15 PM appointment, which was good since the registration window didn't reopen until after the ISO's finish their lunch breaks at 1:00 PM.
  • We went through airport-style security although we didn't have to take off our shoes. :) 
  • The guy at the registration window (#1) was pleasant and helpful although all he did was ask us about our reason for visiting and assigned us a number. (Side note: I thought we already supplied this information when we made the appointment.) 
  • We went back and sat down. We were called up about 5 minutes later and approached ISO Benedict's window. He was easy to talk with although not particularly chatty or jovial. Par for the course? 
  • I explained our concern that my wife's application was received on April 13 with no further notices (beyond biometrics appointment on May 26 and SR response on August 7). He was able to tell me that my wife's EAD/AP application was in front of an officer as of August 8. Her interview was also in queue to be scheduled as of July 28. I told him that she's a K1 adjuster and was curious to know if the interview had been waived at this point. He said there was nothing on his screen showing one way or another.
  • He also mentioned that the "new administration" is causing lots of people to apply for various immigration benefits which is causing a backlog. (Not sure I believe that one, but I figured people here would be interested in hearing this.)
  • Here's something interesting I learned: because my wife applied for an EAD/AP combo card, the ISO said that both applications must be adjudicated together. (Sounds to me like another silly excuse for processing to take longer.)
  • I asked whether our case was being held up by something like an FBI Name Check, background check, etc. and he was able to tell me that "no derogatory information" was associated with our file. So that's good to know, at least!
  • He started talking about going down the expedite route and I asked what options we had. The reasons include financial hardship, humanitarian concerns, or a pending job offer. Unfortunately, my wife can't claim any of these. I asked whether it would make sense to bother with that at this point since her case is already in the hands of an adjudicator. He agreed that it probably wouldn't speed things up at this point.
  • He said that we should wait another 30 days before contacting USCIS. If we hear nothing, he encouraged us to make another Infopass appointment and skip the other channels. And here's the kicker: he specifically said to avoid calling the (mis-)information line/customer service!
  • Overall this was a productive visit, although I walked out the same way I walked in...we still need to wait. :( 
  • We were out the door by 2 pm and made our way to the grocery store to grab some hot peppers and Thai basil for dinner tonight! 

That's it!

If this post was helpful, please show some love by clicking the ♥ heart button. Thank you! :D

This is really helpful. I have an infopass appointment in Providence on Monday. 

Also, the SR I put in on 7/28 was assigned and completed today (8/9); so far no changes to the status of EAD or AP. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.