kris_hetfield

Family not agreeing with the relationship

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

So I have heard of some embassies asking the question of whether the family agrees with the marriage.

Just some specifics:

• My mother, a Russian lady, is completely against my gf being Romanian because of the gypsy stereotype which I think is very unfair to generalize normal people that way. she is only treating it as a huge shame/embarrassment
  • I made plans to go see her in Romania and when I told my brother about this, he made it sound so horrible going there as if I'm stepping into the wild west on steroids. Basically a convoluted plot of her family trying to make sure I get her pregnant and force me to marry her and if not, they'll charge me for rape and put me in a Romanian Jail. Anyways I went and had a very good time and found the people to be friendly.
  • My father thought it would be a good idea to go see her there and get to know her better in her own country if I'm really into her that much.

So basically if the embassy were to ask my gf this question, my family's opinion would be completely against it at best and for very uncalled and irrational reasons.

Just wanted to know how seriously these family disputes are taken by the embassy considering none of them are sponsoring her and we won't be living with them.

Thanks

Edited by kris_hetfield

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Luckily families don't decide who their kids should marry and it's not like she will get denied because of that reason. Seems like your father is okay with it. They haven't met her yet so maybe they'll change their minds when they meet her.

I won't be worried about this.

Timeline

Luckily families don't decide who their kids should marry and it's not like she will get denied because of that reason. Seems like your father is okay with it. They haven't met her yet so maybe they'll change their minds when they meet her.

I won't be worried about this.

Hey Georgia, thanks for the input. Tbh, I have no intention of having her meet my family except for my father. I'm just worried that the embassy will think of it as a red flag if she says they're not happy about it. She can always say she's never met them depending on the question asked.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would recommend having you family talk to her if they have not already. My sisters, friends, and mother have all gotten to speak with Annalyn over Skype at various times. Perhaps if your family was able to spend a bit of time talking to her they will feel better. Now your brother just sounds like he has been reading way too many horror stories, while there are scammers everywhere, not everyone is a scammer. Either way, as already stated, it should not be an issue as long as you have established your relationship with her.

Good luck,

Scott and Annalyn

This won't be a big deal for Romania. It is a more common question in places where families meddle or otherwise arrange marriages, like India.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

I would recommend having you family talk to her if they have not already. My sisters, friends, and mother have all gotten to speak with Annalyn over Skype at various times. Perhaps if your family was able to spend a bit of time talking to her they will feel better. Now your brother just sounds like he has been reading way too many horror stories, while there are scammers everywhere, not everyone is a scammer. Either way, as already stated, it should not be an issue as long as you have established your relationship with her.

Good luck,

Scott and Annalyn

Hi Scott and Annalyn,

I appreciate the advice, but what Ive told you is just a taste of the things they had to say. It went to all kinds of ridiculousness like my mum saying im a traitor, shes cursing me for life and all kinds of BS. My brother had some choice words for her too.

Anyways to get to the point, considering their mentality I wouldnt want her to speak to either of them at all online or offline.

The only person may be my dad.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

If they ask her specifically about your family's reaction to your relationship she has to be honest. But she doesn't have to be detailed. It would be totally fine to say that your dad is supportive and that the rest of your family has some concerns. If they want more details (which they probably won't), she can always say that your mom is concerned that cultural differences will hurt your chances of being happy. I think that would normalize the concern and minimize the drama. And the best part, it's true. She could then talk about how the two of you are planning to alleviate those fears.

K-1 from Haiti - NOA1: 5/27/2014; NOA2: 7/8 USCIS never updated to say that it was sent to the NVC (just in case you're as concerned about your status not updating as I was about mine)
NVC Case Number Received: 7/31; Left NVC: 8/1 - tracked via DHL website; CEAC Status - Ready: 8/7; Packet 3 Received: 9/5 - Beneficiary received packet / Medical Completed: 9/19;
DS-160 Submitted: 9/22 - (CEAC date updated); Packet 3 Submitted: 9/26; Packet 4 Received: 10/24; Interview Date: 11/6 @ 7 am Interview Result: Approved!
CEAC Status Issued: 11/10; USTraveldocs.com finally acknowledged Fiance's passport actually in their system: 11/20; Passport Received: 11/21;

POE: 11/23/2014; Wedding: 2/14/2015

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: 2/21/2015;

USCIS EAD & AP received: 2/25; USCIS AOS received: 2/27; Received NOA1s in mail: 3/5; Biometrics: 3/26; EAD/AP Card in Production: 5/11; EAD/AP Card Mailed: 5/1; EAD/AP Card Received 5/19; NPIW Letter dated: 6/11/15; Green card Approved: 10/1/15;

Green card Received: 10/7/15

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi,

Gypsy and Romanians are different. In fact Romanians discriminate against Gypsies. Romania is a wonderful country. I been there 4 times with my future wife. The embassy is easy. They allows me to help her. Good luck.

Timeline

Hi,

Gypsy and Romanians are different. In fact Romanians discriminate against Gypsies. Romania is a wonderful country. I been there 4 times with my future wife. The embassy is easy. They allows me to help her. Good luck.

That's nice to know, thanks. Usually what do they ask?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi,

I would say Romania is a low fraud country. The interview was easy. I went to the interview with her. I was next to her and they allowed me to help her. They ask how we met, did I meet her parents and how many times I visited Romania. Visa was granted. Me and my wife have 30 years difference and different ethnicity. Even with this it was easy. Romanians do not tend to married outside ethnic background. Romania do not really have a multicultural society.

That being said. You need to visit her multiple times during the process. They did like it that I was there for Christmas and summers. You also should be there for the interview.

Romanians should have visa free travel to United States next year. Romania is now important to the US military. They would be like the rest of European Union. She should visit the USA. It is different. I would say Romania have more freedoms than USA.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

You're fine lots of parents don't approve of their children's marriage choices it's no biggie. Just make sure she doesn't lie during the interview IF the question were to come up somehow.

For eg:

CO: Have you met his parents?

Your fiancee: I've skyped with his dad but I haven't skyped with his mom. She's not exactly very fond of me.

CO: And why is that?

Your fiancee: His mom is Russian and I'm Romanian and she doesn't have a very high opinion of us "Gypsies". (Sticks her tongue out)

CO: (Wry smile) Approved.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

*** Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the Embassy/Consulate forum -- topic involves that phase. ***

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

As a Russian, I am so shocked your family is against you marrying a Romanian. I'm Orthodox and my family has always seen Romanians in a positive light. Out of curiosity, is your family Orthodox as well?

K1 Visa

3-3-2016 Form I-129F mailed
3-22-2016 Check was cashed
3-25-2016 Received NOA1
6-6-2016 Received NOA2 (73 days)
6-10-2016 Received NOA2 Hard Copy
6-27-2016 NVC received case (3 weeks)
6-29-2016 NVC Case Number.
6-30-2016 Case left NVC
7-25-2016 Medical Scheduled.
7-21-2016 Packet 3.
7-27-2016 Interview
8-8-2016 Visa Received.
8-28-2016 POE NYC.

AOS Process

9-15-2016 Sent out package.

9-17-2016 Package received at Chicago Lockbox!

9-24-2016 Received receipt texts for all three petitions. <3

9-27-2016 Check was cashed - could see case in USCIS app. :)

9-30-2016 Received hard copy of NOA's. Notice date - September 23rd.

10-11-2016 Received Biometrics appointment letter for October 28th.

10-15-2016 Case Approval Was Certified by USCIS

10-20-2016 Received RFIE for Affidavit of Support (dated 10/14/2016 on the letter)

10-21-2016 Sent out RFIE back to Department of Homeland Security with Co-Sponsor.

10-28-2016 Completed Biometrics.

10-31-2016 Response to RFE was received.

11-15-2016 EAD & AP approved! :)

11-18-2016 EAD being sent out.

11-19-2016 Received NOA2 for AP.

11-22-2016 Received EAD/AP in the mail. :)

11-28-2016 Case is ready to be scheduled for interview!

Timeline

As a Russian, I am so shocked your family is against you marrying a Romanian. I'm Orthodox and my family has always seen Romanians in a positive light. Out of curiosity, is your family Orthodox as well?

'

Hi Mariachrin,

I wouldn't say religion played a big part in our household, I grew up in South Asia and my mother admired hinduism/buddhism, even though she grew up Orthodox. I don't think it is much of a religious issue as much as it is Eastern European stereotypes I suppose. She's entirely convinced that Romania is a country full of gypsies. I understand that there is such an ethnic group in Romania as there are in other parts of Europe and even the way they're treated in Romania is worse than other countries. I've been to Bucharest myself to visit my fiance. Her family + friends were very nice to me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.