JimmyHou

What to Expect at the Naturalization Oath Ceremony

109 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

This is very helpful, Jimmy -- good find.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Great resource :)

Thanks!!

just wanted to add: https://cliniclegal.org/resources/publications-guides-and-reports/citizenship-us-handbook-naturalization-citizenship-6this the link to each of the chapter of the book... one of the notes in the margin said to refer back to another chapter on something I was curious about so did some digging....

Met in the SCA - DRACO INVICTUS!  08-14-2014 Married in Ann Arbor, MI

Spoiler

USCIS.... DONE  in 150 day from NOA1 to NOA2 (TSC)

NVC... DONE  in 116 days from NOA2 to final CC

Final Steps... DONE in 350 days from NOA1 to POE
POE 08-11-2015 in Detroit, MI 

Removal of Conditions

07-11-2017 NOA1 date (rec'd on 14th)

08-03-2017 Daughter and I completed biometrics; May 2018 - I had to redo my biometrics (reason unknown)

WAC17283xxxxx....and we wait...400 days

07-13-2018 I-551 extension stamp (12 mths) obtained at USCIS office in Detroit

09-20-2018 Transferred to TSC

10-15-2018 Text notification "New Card Being Produced"   YAY!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Is it worth pinning this topic? I'll let the moderators decide; they know what's most useful... while I've seen a lot of good information posted (and pinned) related to the application and the interview, I haven't seen much on the oath itself, which is why I went looking.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

More oath info... this doesn't come up very often, but I've read a few posts about people being uncomfortable with the wording of the Oath of Allegiance.

USCIS allows you to take a modified oath based on two objections.

1- If you object to word "swear" and the phrase "so help me god" because of religious beliefs or lack thereof, you can ask to "affirm" instead of "swear" and you can drop the "so help me god" phrase at the end. This only requires you to tell your interviewer that you want a modified oath. In many jurisdictions, they don't schedule a separate ceremony for you, they just ask you to leave out the parts in question when you repeat the oath.

2- If you object to performing military-related services on behalf of the US, you are required to explain your religious objection to doing so and to get a letter from your religious organization stating that this is their position. A few years ago, an English atheist applicant asked for this modification, but was unable to provide a religious document. USCIS refused to naturalize her and she sued them. Two years later, the courts ordered USCIS to naturalize her and she became a citizen.

Here is the USCIS information on modified oaths:

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartJ-Chapter3.html

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

Here are a few videos I found of naturalization ceremonies around the country:

Houston

New York City

Miami

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrTRj8mi-P8

San Diego

Timeline

I hope others will add to this thread if they find any interesting information on naturalization ceremonies.

Also, feel free to share any unusual personal experiences at your own ceremonies.

For those of you in LA and Houston, here are two articles with videos covering ceremonies in 2014.

LA

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/25997296/naturalization-ceremony-welcomes-over-4000-new-us-citizens

Houston

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/24779851/2014/02/20/naturalization-ceremony

More oath info... this doesn't come up very often, but I've read a few posts about people being uncomfortable with the wording of the Oath of Allegiance.

USCIS allows you to take a modified oath based on two objections.

1- If you object to word "swear" and the phrase "so help me god" because of religious beliefs or lack thereof, you can ask to "affirm" instead of "swear" and you can drop the "so help me god" phrase at the end. This only requires you to tell your interviewer that you want a modified oath. In many jurisdictions, they don't schedule a separate ceremony for you, they just ask you to leave out the parts in question when you repeat the oath.

2- If you object to performing military-related services on behalf of the US, you are required to explain your religious objection to doing so and to get a letter from your religious organization stating that this is their position. A few years ago, an English atheist applicant asked for this modification, but was unable to provide a religious document. USCIS refused to naturalize her and she sued them. Two years later, the courts ordered USCIS to naturalize her and she became a citizen.

Here is the USCIS information on modified oaths:

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartJ-Chapter3.html

Thanks.... the modified oath was what I had looked for as well.... I am obviously no where near this process yet, but I've wondered if I would apply for citizenship when the time came..... With the availability of the modified oath, I may go for it...

Met in the SCA - DRACO INVICTUS!  08-14-2014 Married in Ann Arbor, MI

Spoiler

USCIS.... DONE  in 150 day from NOA1 to NOA2 (TSC)

NVC... DONE  in 116 days from NOA2 to final CC

Final Steps... DONE in 350 days from NOA1 to POE
POE 08-11-2015 in Detroit, MI 

Removal of Conditions

07-11-2017 NOA1 date (rec'd on 14th)

08-03-2017 Daughter and I completed biometrics; May 2018 - I had to redo my biometrics (reason unknown)

WAC17283xxxxx....and we wait...400 days

07-13-2018 I-551 extension stamp (12 mths) obtained at USCIS office in Detroit

09-20-2018 Transferred to TSC

10-15-2018 Text notification "New Card Being Produced"   YAY!!

Timeline

Something I observed from watching a few oath ceremony videos:

In most ceremonies, the person administering the oath asks the applicants to repeat the oath after him/her. He/she will say a few words at a time and then pause to allow the applicants to repeat.

Ceremonies in Houston, Texas (at least some of them) appear to be different; the judge recites the entire oath and then asks the applicants to say "I do" if they agree with the oath. Everyone then says "I do" together. I thought this was because of the large number of attendees at Houston ceremonies, but even larger ceremonies in Los Angles follow the "repeat after me" process.

It isn't important, but I thought it was curious... what did others do at their ceremonies?

Timeline

A great reminder that we are all following in the footsteps of some very famous immigrants; this is a photo of Albert Einstein taking his oath of citizenship in New York on October 1st, 1940.

post-173657-0-48389900-1421940227_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Thank you JimmyHou! I appreciate you putting this information up. I will also like to opt for the modified oath. I don't really know what it entails to do so.

It depends on which modification you're asking for If all you want to do is remove the "so help me God" part at the end or to change the word "swear" to "affirm", then that's pretty easy and you can ask for the interview. No other changes will be made, except that when you're at your oath ceremony you'll be asked to change or drop the appropriate words as you repeat after the person administering the oath.

If you want to object to the part about military service or noncombatant service in the Armed Forces, then that's a little bit more complicated and you may be required to demonstrate your moral objection through some sort of evidence.

Edited by JimmyHou

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It depends on which modification you're asking for If all you want to do is remove the "so help me God" part at the end or to change the word "swear" to "affirm", then that's pretty easy and you can ask for the interview. No other changes will be made, except that when you're at your oath ceremony you'll be asked to change or drop the appropriate words as you repeat after the person administering the oath.

If you want to object to the part about military service or noncombatant service in the Armed Forces, then that's a little bit more complicated and you may be required to demonstrate your moral objection through some sort of evidence.

I will like to use "affirm" and not "swear". Can there be a modification of such?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.