VisaK1ITA

K1 visa DENIED - Public Charge - pretty outraged.

68 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My Fiance just had her interview in naples today and was rejected (no 90 days to show proof of employment, flat out denied) for our K1. We had all the paperwork and documentation. The story is I'm a student who just graduated and am currently looking for a job. I attained a co-sponsor (my mother) who made more than double the amount supposedly needed. In all, because I myself didn't have a job it was denied. They said they only accept a co-sponsor when the petitioner is very close to the poverty line.

Can I say WOW unexpected (I've never received government welfare benefits, nor is my family) steps forward? I cannot accept having to reapply and wait another 8 months without my fiance! this is ridiculous!

Bump. Anyone have any information on the embassy in Italy and any new policy on co-sponsors? This seems odd.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

That is surprising. I wonder if you got a cranky CO or if this is a new policy? I remember one or two other cases recently like it, in embassies that usually accept co-sponsors.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

My Fiance just had her interview in naples today and was rejected (no 90 days to show proof of employment, flat out denied) for our K1. We had all the paperwork and documentation. The story is I'm a student who just graduated and am currently looking for a job. I attained a co-sponsor (my mother) who made more than double the amount supposedly needed. In all, because I myself didn't have a job it was denied. They said they only accept a co-sponsor when the petitioner is very close to the poverty line.

Can I say WOW unexpected (I've never received government welfare benefits, nor is my family) steps forward? I cannot accept having to reapply and wait another 8 months without my fiance! this is ridiculous!

For a fiancee visa, the I-134 Affidavit of Support submitted by your mother is NOT LEGALLY BINDING. The US DOES NOT HAVE TO ACCEPT A CO-SPONSOR FOR THE I-134. Accepting a co-sponsor is a courtesy extended to you. While you are outraged, the CO did what he was suppose to according to the laws and regulations he must follow.

The immigration game is difficult. You have to be on the ball and be prepared. It is not shocking at all that a co-sponsor for a legally non-binding I-134 affidavit of support was rejected. If this was the I-864 which is legally binding, then I would be shocked. It's pretty common for a joint sponsor to be rejected for the I-134.

----------------

Go to Italy. Get marry. File for a spousal visa. Your mother can be the Joint Sponsor on the I-864. The US Embassy must accept the I-864 from your Joint Sponsor if the poverty level is met. The US Embassy cannot deny your mom as a Joint Sponsor for the I-864.

Edited by aaron2020

It's not common for a co-sponsor to be rejected in most countries... The only one I know of that routinely does this is the Philippines.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

It's not common for a co-sponsor to be rejected in most countries... The only one I know of that routinely does this is the Philippines.

For the I-864, I agree that it is no common for the Joint Sponsor to be rejected.

For the I-134, I disagree with you. There is no statutory or regulatory requirement that a co-sponsor be accepted for an I-134. Acceptance or denial is at the sole discretion of the officials who do apply the rules differently. There are lots of I-134 co-sponsor denials on this forum.

Anyhow, this side discussion does not help the OP.

Marriage and the CR-1 route with the binding I-864 is the way to go at this point. There is no way to get the US Consulate to reconsider accepting mom's I-134 The US Consulate has made it clear - a co-sponsor for the I-134 will not be accepted when the petitioner is not near the poverty level. There is no appeal, so this is a dead path. Reapplying for another K-1 visa is pointless if the petitioner's income does not significantly change.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Sorry to hear this, get married and reapply or wait till you get a job.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Sorry to hear this, get married and reapply or wait till you get a job.

:yes:

Our Journey
6/13/2012 Sent I-129F package
6/14/2012 NOA1 --> California Service Center
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy received
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
11/30/2012 Picked-up Packet from Local Post Office
01/16/2013 Medical
01/23/2013 Interview - In AP

09/24/2013 Visa picked-up from DOMEX
10/10/2013 POE Ft. Lauderdale

10/28/2013 Applied for Social Security Number

01/01/2014 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

heart_28.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Same thing pretty much just happened to my fiance in Napoli. We would have NEVER done the Fiance Visa if we knew this would happen. I have a job and make above what is necessary to support him but I only have been working for a few months as I was living the year before that with my fiance in Italy. Our joint sponsor also make more than double the amount of the 125 percent above poverty level. We are still pursuing it and I am going to my Congressman and if necessary we will hire an attorney. It is very deceiving and I am so very disappointed in this system. How do they expect me to now leave my new job and go to Italy, get married, return and wait the 1 to 2 year wait for the spousal Visa???? There has to be a better solution!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

I second Aaron's comment. It's spot on.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Same thing pretty much just happened to my fiance in Napoli. We would have NEVER done the Fiance Visa if we knew this would happen. I have a job and make above what is necessary to support him but I only have been working for a few months as I was living the year before that with my fiance in Italy. Our joint sponsor also make more than double the amount of the 125 percent above poverty level. We are still pursuing it and I am going to my Congressman and if necessary we will hire an attorney. It is very deceiving and I am so very disappointed in this system. How do they expect me to now leave my new job and go to Italy, get married, return and wait the 1 to 2 year wait for the spousal Visa???? There has to be a better solution!!!

Just to correct you, it's around 8 months not 1-2 year which may be quicker and cheaper than hiring an attorney etc.

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

You might have better luck with the Cr1 with a co sponsor, go back and get married. Some countries do not allow the k1 to have a co sponsor( It states they do but routinely denied in countries like Vietnam). Best of luck.

Edited by Sayha or bust.

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.