VisaK1ITA

K1 visa DENIED - Public Charge - pretty outraged.

68 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Yes while I agree in principle... it depends on 'those tasked with making the decision' who may or may not be having a good day, like/not like your demeanour, how you sound/look - for whatever reason - as to how things turn out. If things went well, petitioners credit themselves with having done everything perfectly and criticise those who failed the 'test'. It is all a bit of a moving target and may end a result that is not really related to the quality/strength and honesty of the relationship at all. That is where it is flawed .. just IMO. :pop:

Absolutely in agreement.

Just because someone got the visa does nto necessarily mean that their packaging was superior. We've seen many folks who came on to say that they didn't even looked at all the documents that they brought to the interview and instead just chatted about sports and stuff. And vise versa, just because a visa was not given, like in my case, does not mean that I do not have a bona fide relationship as alleged.

My issue with this is not the denial itself but the power that is given to one person to make a decision that affects the life of a USC like that is un American. I was denied my due process.

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline

Absolutely in agreement.

Just because someone got the visa does nto necessarily mean that their packaging was superior. We've seen many folks who came on to say that they didn't even looked at all the documents that they brought to the interview and instead just chatted about sports and stuff. And vise versa, just because a visa was not given, like in my case, does not mean that I do not have a bona fide relationship as alleged.

My issue with this is not the denial itself but the power that is given to one person to make a decision that affects the life of a USC like that is un American. I was denied my due process.

One's beneficiary is not entitled to a visa. One, as the petitioner, does not have a right to 'give or grant' a visa. While I certainly can understand the disappointment with not getting what one wants, at this point in time, the Government is the only entity that has the authority to legally grant admission of a person to the United States. That authority is exercised by well trained individuals that represent the Government. I DO NOT claim that those individuals can not make mistakes, nor do I claim that it is not possible for some of those individuals to fail to do their job in accordance with the laws, rules, regulations, principles and guidance that is the operating policy of the United States Govenment. I freely admit that I am not an immigration expert, HOWEVER, in the case in this thread (and in many others that I have read) it appears to me that the individuals denied did not meet the stated requirement that the Applicant prove that either the beneficiary [aka the applicant] or the petitioner [aka the USC] could financially support the beneficiary.

The Counselor Officer isn't the only person involved in the decision making process and doesn't operate alone and in a complete vacuum.

Edited by EAS

One's beneficiary is not entitled to a visa. One, as the petitioner, does not have a right to 'give or grant' a visa. While I certainly can understand the disappointment with not getting what one wants, at this point in time, the Government is the only entity that has the authority to legally grant admission of a person to the United States. That authority is exercised by well trained individuals that represent the Government. I DO NOT claim that those individuals can not make mistakes, nor do I claim that it is not possible for some of those individuals to fail to do their job in accordance with the laws, rules, regulations, principles and guidance that is the operating policy of the United States Govenment. I freely admit that I am not an immigration expert, HOWEVER, in the case in this thread (and in many others that I have read) it appears to me that the individuals denied did not meet the stated requirement that the Applicant prove that either the beneficiary [aka the applicant] or the petitioner [aka the USC] could financially support the beneficiary.

The Counselor Officer isn't the only person involved in the decision making process and doesn't operate alone and in a complete vacuum.

You missed the point of my quoted post and I suspect that it was intentional.

I never once said that visas are entitlements or that private local companies issues visas.

The basis of my discussion is that profesional etiquette is not being followed at least in my local embassy. Denying a visa doesn't only affect the immigrant but has implications for the USC also.

Going back to the OP, denying an application based on lack on income when an I-134 if filled out is ludicrous. What then is the I-134 for?

Regarding working in a vacuum, I guess we have different definitions.

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline

You missed the point of my quoted post and I suspect that it was intentional.

I never once said that visas are entitlements or that private local companies issues visas.

The basis of my discussion is that profesional etiquette is not being followed at least in my local embassy. Denying a visa doesn't only affect the immigrant but has implications for the USC also.

Going back to the OP, denying an application based on lack on income when an I-134 if filled out is ludicrous. What then is the I-134 for?

Regarding working in a vacuum, I guess we have different definitions.

You are the one that is missing the point. The applicant has to prove that either the applicant [aka beneficiary] or the U.S. citizen fiance(e) is able to support the applicant financially. That is clearly stated on U.S. Department of State's official website. As for the I-134: Does not say that the Consular Officer MUST request it. Does not say that the Consular Officer MUST rely on it.

I guess we do have different definitions!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

You are the one that is missing the point. The applicant has to prove that either the applicant [aka beneficiary] or the U.S. citizen fiance(e) is able to support the applicant financially. That is clearly stated on U.S. Department of State's official website. As for the I-134: Does not say that the Consular Officer MUST request it. Does not say that the Consular Officer MUST rely on it.

Gosh and I thought the applicant was the petitioner (USC) ... just shows you how confusing it all is :wacko:

Edited by Andie

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

For the I-864, I agree that it is no common for the Joint Sponsor to be rejected.

For the I-134, I disagree with you. There is no statutory or regulatory requirement that a co-sponsor be accepted for an I-134. Acceptance or denial is at the sole discretion of the officials who do apply the rules differently. There are lots of I-134 co-sponsor denials on this forum.

Anyhow, this side discussion does not help the OP.

Marriage and the CR-1 route with the binding I-864 is the way to go at this point. There is no way to get the US Consulate to reconsider accepting mom's I-134 The US Consulate has made it clear - a co-sponsor for the I-134 will not be accepted when the petitioner is not near the poverty level. There is no appeal, so this is a dead path. Reapplying for another K-1 visa is pointless if the petitioner's income does not significantly change.

Whether you agree or not, other than Thailand and the Philippines, it is UNCOMMON to reject a cosponsor for a K1 visa. Fact is not determined by consensus. Fact simply IS.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

You are the one that is missing the point. The applicant has to prove that either the applicant [aka beneficiary] or the U.S. citizen fiance(e) is able to support the applicant financially. That is clearly stated on U.S. Department of State's official website. As for the I-134: The Consular Officer may request that a Form I-134, Affidavit of Support be submitted by the U.S. citizen fiancé(e). Does not say that the Consular Officer MUST request it. Does not say that the Consular Officer MUST rely on it.

Clearly

Whether you agree or not, other than Thailand and the Philippines, it is UNCOMMON to reject a cosponsor for a K1 visa. Fact is not determined by consensus. Fact simply IS.

You're absolutely right. In fact there was a poster here recently that was approved in Philippines with a cosponsor.

Though it may never happen but the ambiguity and sole authority given to COs to make this unilateral decisions is not working well, at least for those of us in non sham relationships.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

While you say this.. and yes there are several parts to the process, but my understanding is that at each point it does come down to one person making the decision - if they reject the petition, then it goes no further - so at that moment it is that one person's decision if they are not conferring with others... ??

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

While you say this.. and yes there are several parts to the process, but my understanding is that at each point it does come down to one person making the decision - if they reject the petition, then it goes no further - so at that moment it is that one person's decision if they are not conferring with others... ??

Perhaps it's different for different Embassies (why I hope they remove the ambiguities) but I was specifically informed by US Embassy in Lagos that it was SOLELY the interviewing CO decision to deny my petition and that there would be absolutely no review by any other personnel.

So in my case it was one civil servants decision and not a panel unless they are lying.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Perhaps it's different for different Embassies (why I hope they remove the ambiguities) but I was specifically informed by US Embassy in Lagos that it was SOLELY the interviewing CO decision to deny my petition and that there would be absolutely no review by any other personnel.

So in my case it was one civil servants decision and not a panel unless they are lying.

Probably right but somebody higher up reviews all denied visas before the files are sent back to the USA. That said, I've never heard of that higher-up reversing the decision of the Consular officer other than in cases with outside intervention (Senator or Lawyer etc.) causing further review.

That said, certain "policies" such as under what condition to accept a cosponsor in a K visa case are put in place by the heads of Immigrant Visa Units, not the Consular Officer. The CO then acts according to that policy.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Sorry to hear that. Do you mean your case is completly denied or did you receive a RFE? And what was the reason?

Stay strong and patience! We had to reapply too.

You get used of waiting :wacko:

Nah, we got flat-out denied based on lack of evidence. We had our collective temper tantrum and now we're moving on to a different visa. It's a bit more waiting, but I've had enough practice, eh? *rolls eyes*

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

You're absolutely right. In fact there was a poster here recently that was approved in Philippines with a cosponsor.

The Philippines has accepted co-sponors if the petitioner is in college or just graduated college. Thailand in the past has only taken 2 or 3 cosponors otherwise they do not accept them.

OP, like the others have suggested I would like look into taking a short trip to Italy and getting married there and come back and start a CR1 and then you can have a co-sponor. Good luck.

Edited by Andy and Pui

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It appears that the Foreign Affairs Manual has recently been updated regarding the I-134.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86988.pdf

9 FAM 40.41 N4.6-3, practically the entire chapter on the I-134 has been revised by a change transmittal dated October 10, 2012. Unfortunately, it never occurred to me to save a copy of the old version, but it does seem to be substantially different than I remember it.

Anybody got a copy of the previous version of this section of the FAM?

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

It appears that the Foreign Affairs Manual has recently been updated regarding the I-134.

http://www.state.gov...ation/86988.pdf

9 FAM 40.41 N4.6-3, practically the entire chapter on the I-134 has been revised by a change transmittal dated October 10, 2012. Unfortunately, it never occurred to me to save a copy of the old version, but it does seem to be substantially different than I remember it.

Anybody got a copy of the previous version of this section of the FAM?

Thanks for sharing this read. It solidified my conclusion that I did nto do a thorough enough vetting prior to jumping in the K1 pool.

Jim, Would this be what you are looking for? http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86988.pdf

####### sorry that is the same doc. Sorry!

Edited by Andy and Pui

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.