JimJane

AOS denial: USCIS said i left the country but i did not

70 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi VJers,

I have been following this boards for quite some time.

I applied for concurrent I-130,I-485,I-131 and I-765.

I went for my fingerprints and was issued EAD card (not valid for re-entry) and 2 days later i got an AP document.

We went for interviews and it seemed to go well but at the end we were shocked to be told that the application is under review.

I checked online and saw that the I-130 was approved but the I-485 was denied.

Today i got the denial letter. It says the I-485 is denied, EAD is cancelled and no appeal is allowed.I was given 30 days to leave the country.

The denial reasons ,according to them were:

>>Their records show i left on ...August 2012. I submitted a travel itinerary when i submitted the AP application .They are claiming i left on that flight

I never left the US since i came in earlier in the year on B1 visa. They took my I-94 at the interview and asked for my EAD(which they returned to me). They never asked for the AP documents. I got an email on the day i was supposed to travel from the travel agency ,notifying me that my flight was cancelled

because i did not show up.

They are denying me based on Title 8,Code of federal regulations,part 245.2(a)(4)(ii) .

Please,i need advice on what to do next

Thank you all

I am sorry to hear this, I suggest you talk to a lawyer asap.

jF5Jm7.png

AOS from F1:
Day0 -- 2012.05.08 Sent packet through USPS
Day1 -- 2012.05.09 Packet delivered at 1:29pm
Day7 -- 2012.05.15 Emails/texts acceptance confirmation at 5:16pm
Day8 -- 2012.05.16 Checks been cashed in the morning
Day11--2012.05.19 I-797C 4 hard copies received.
Day14--2012.05.22 Biometrics Appointment received. Scheduled for June 5th.
Day15--2012.05.23 Biometrics Completed at 1:30pm (2 weeks earlier than the scheduled date)
Day27--2012.06.04 Card production ordered for EAD&AP
Day28--2012.06.05 Second card production ordered email received for EAD.(why?)
Day30--2012.06.07 EAD&AP Combo Card mailed
Day32--2012.06.09 EAD&AP Combo Card received
Day98--2012.08.14 Interview scheduled for Sep.18th @12:30pm(thank god I don't have school that day)
Day100-2012.08.16 Interview notice hard copy received
Day133-2012.09.18 Interview!! I-485 updated to Card Production around 3:30pm
Day134-2012.09.19 Online Update: I-130 approved; I-485 New permanent Resident Status Registered.
Day136-2012.09.21 Second Card production Email.
Day141-2012.09.26 GreenCard received. (Done for 2 years!)

ROC:

Day0 -- 2014.07.07 Sent package to CSC by USPS

Day1 -- 2014.07.08 Package delivered

Day3 -- 2014.07.10 Check has been cashed

Day4 -- 2014.07.11 I-797 Hard Copy Received

Day12--2014.07.19 Biometrics Appointment received. Scheduled for Aug 5th.

Day23--2014.07.30 Biometrics Completed @1pm (6 days early)

Day95--2014.10.10 Card Production

You will need to contact the airline and get them to show that you were not on that flight. You did not cancel the flight in advance, the airline did not properly update their flight manifest (their mistake) and the exit tracking system says that you left. it is always best to cancel your flights, this issue has happened before. I would do the motion to reopen, and get the new evidence. You can search prior threads, like I said, this has happened before.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

You will need to contact the airline and get them to show that you were not on that flight. You did not cancel the flight in advance, the airline did not properly update their flight manifest (their mistake) and the exit tracking system says that you left. it is always best to cancel your flights, this issue has happened before. I would do the motion to reopen, and get the new evidence. You can search prior threads, like I said, this has happened before.

Thanks . I got an email from the travel agent (on the supposed travel day) that my ticket was cancelled because i did not show up. And on the interview,the IO pointedly asked me if i traveled on that day and i said NO.

Right, but just to explain in further detail... The US monitors exits through a system that relies on the flight manifest the airlines is meant to keep, by law. You did not cancel your flight, so in the few minutes between the time they realized you were not really coming and takeoff, they did not properly record the new data in their manifest. So, the US system says you left. You need to get some more information and proof from the airline that you were not on that flight (I don't think one email is good enough) and file the Motion to Reopen based on an error in their exit tracking system.

A consult with a lawyer might be a good idea too.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Hi VJers,

I have been following this boards for quite some time.

I applied for concurrent I-130,I-485,I-131 and I-765.

I went for my fingerprints and was issued EAD card (not valid for re-entry) and 2 days later i got an AP document.

We went for interviews and it seemed to go well but at the end we were shocked to be told that the application is under review.

I checked online and saw that the I-130 was approved but the I-485 was denied.

Today i got the denial letter. It says the I-485 is denied, EAD is cancelled and no appeal is allowed.I was given 30 days to leave the country.

The denial reasons ,according to them were:

>>Their records show i left on ...August 2012. I submitted a travel itinerary when i submitted the AP application .They are claiming i left on that flight

I never left the US since i came in earlier in the year on B1 visa. They took my I-94 at the interview and asked for my EAD(which they returned to me). They never asked for the AP documents. I got an email on the day i was supposed to travel from the travel agency ,notifying me that my flight was cancelled

because i did not show up.

They are denying me based on Title 8,Code of federal regulations,part 245.2(a)(4)(ii) .

Please,i need advice on what to do next

Thank you all

Which airline were you booked with? It's an interesting point to note that some airlines don't allow you to cancel the flight because of certain restrictions placed on the ticket. The ticket I bought to enter the US back in May was non-refundable and also I wasn't able to cancel the return portion when I stayed. I booked with Alitalia and I have the e-ticket with the information at the bottom and also my correspondence with them regarding the cancellation of my ticket and also their replies saying they couldn't cancel the ticket.

I wonder if this is something I'll have to contend with?

EDIT: Although I did get my taxes back for the unused portion of my ticket from Alitalia from what I can see from my CC statement...

Edited by epsonderby

11/29/12 - AOS Interview in Atlanta - 10 minutes long and approved on the spot.

ROC in 2014!

Which airline were you booked with? It's an interesting point to note that some airlines don't allow you to cancel the flight because of certain restrictions placed on the ticket. The ticket I bought to enter the US back in May was non-refundable and also I wasn't able to cancel the return portion when I stayed. I booked with Alitalia and I have the e-ticket with the information at the bottom and also my correspondence with them regarding the cancellation of my ticket and also their replies saying they couldn't cancel the ticket.

I wonder if this is something I'll have to contend with?

EDIT: Although I did get my taxes back for the unused portion of my ticket from Alitalia from what I can see from my CC statement...

You weren't able to CANCEL the ticket? Of course, you get no refund, but you can ring them and say, "I am not using this, cancel me!" You were stopped from doing this?

Because, yes, it can be a problem (usually not, but there are a few cases on here of this issue).

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

You weren't able to CANCEL the ticket? Of course, you get no refund, but you can ring them and say, "I am not using this, cancel me!" You were stopped from doing this?

Because, yes, it can be a problem (usually not, but there are a few cases on here of this issue).

I did ring them and they insisted that I couldn't cancel the flight and just not to show up. They refunded the tax on the ticket though, which is kind of strange to me...

I'm not too worried about it though.

Edited by epsonderby

11/29/12 - AOS Interview in Atlanta - 10 minutes long and approved on the spot.

ROC in 2014!

Timeline

If you entered through VWP if they deny you you have no right to appeal. That is the risk of not going to the long route and filling a K1 or Cr1 visa. I am afriad you have no choice but to leave. I am not sure about filing from a visitors visa. This happened once before to someone that didn't cancel the return flight about a year ago.

Edited by NigeriaorBust

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from AOS from Family Visa to AOS from Work, TRavel etc as OP indicated they also filed I-130 ***

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Right, but just to explain in further detail... The US monitors exits through a system that relies on the flight manifest the airlines is meant to keep, by law. You did not cancel your flight, so in the few minutes between the time they realized you were not really coming and takeoff, they did not properly record the new data in their manifest. So, the US system says you left. You need to get some more information and proof from the airline that you were not on that flight (I don't think one email is good enough) and file the Motion to Reopen based on an error in their exit tracking system.

A consult with a lawyer might be a good idea too.

Can i file the Motion to Reopen on my own or must i get a lawyer?

If you entered through VWP if they deny you you have no right to appeal. That is the risk of not going to the long route and filling a K1 or Cr1 visa. I am afriad you have no choice but to leave. I am not sure about filing from a visitors visa. This happened once before to someone that didn't cancel the return flight about a year ago.

OP said they were on a B-1 though so they will have the right to appeal.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Can i file the Motion to Reopen on my own or must i get a lawyer?

You can do it on your own, but it is probably wise to at least get a consult, in case there are any other gotchas.

There are directions for how to do it ion the letter you got.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

This is a lot of good information about airlines. I was going to book my fiancés flight 2 ways, but now I will book her flight only one way even if it is more expensive. This way there will be no question of her returning to her country. Learn something on VJ every day.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.