JimJane

AOS denial: USCIS said i left the country but i did not

70 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

( a law biting citizen) can't.

I'm going :ot: for the sake of educating...LAW ABIDING CITIZEN.

OP I can't provide any advice on something I know nothing about. I can only wish you the best in rectifying the situation.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband has canceled several "non-refundable" tickets. One flight he missed (what a disaster that was - NEVER miss the first leg of an international flight on an airline that only does 1 such flight a day). The other two he just canceled the return because he wanted to stay longer. In every case, they gave him a credit to use on a future flight. You lose some booking fees, but get the majority of the cost of the ticket back as a credit that has to be used within the year.

Bottom line, there's every reason to cancel and no reason not to.

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

I'm going :ot: for the sake of educating...LAW ABIDING CITIZEN.

OP I can't provide any advice on something I know nothing about. I can only wish you the best in rectifying the situation.

Sorry, my mistake! English is not my native language and I don't think writing in German is an option here!

Still got my point across!

Hope everything turns out well for the OP!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

People, I completely concur with Harpa - stop freaking out. Unless you have something to hide.

You CAN buy a return ticket, just remember to cancel it. And yes, that is possible. Understanding the process is the key to why. Cancel the ticket after entering the US, get confirmation. Sometimes, asking for a refund through an airline automatically cancels your flight initiary and your name is taken off the passenger list. Other times, not. If the seat has not been sold to anyone else and the airline has not updated the passenger list(even if the seat is sold) it WILL look as if the original passenger boarded that plane and sat in that seat. Did you get any sort of confirmation that your return ticket had been cancelled? If so, include that in your AOS.

You can appeal when arriving on a tourist visa(as long as it is not VWP). You can either reopen or file a new i-485.

That's one way to go around it, another is simply booking the return way out in the future. Mine was booked 9 months from POE, I asked for a refund through airline's webpage before submitting AOS and have confirmation of the refund to my bank account(which btw was a non-refundable ticket), and also emails with the cancelled ticket and the refund in my name. Which airline did OP travel with?

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Listen, OP!

There is a MISTAKE. An ERROR in application of the law.

Under the law you can't be penalized for doing something when in fact you haven't done it.

You bought a ticket, you didn't cancel a ticket or else, the main thing is that you didn't depart US.

That is what matters.

So, what you must do now is PROVE it. If you have verifiable EVIDENCE that you were in US during and after the flight then you can, 100% guaranteed, have the decision reversed or win the removal proceedings in court.

Like others suggested, contact the airline and get a letter confirming that you didn't fly that day. Have the phone numbers, extensions and whatever information of the airline you have made available to USCIS: should they choose to verify it will save the time of searching.

Put as much of additional evidence as you can. For example, if you attended some big event or a wedding party or just about anything in US that is verifiable connected to a specific date and have your pictures taken then you can add these as an evidence of your presence in US on those dates.

Have you visited any official building, a bank or any large business and have witnesses/employees to confirm it?

Do you have unrelated to you neighbors who know you for years and have seen you living at any particular address?

Do you have kids? Did you take them to school and seen their teachers? Do you have other evidence (medical records, driving records , bills etc) to strengthen your case?

Once you submit a proof you should be fine as long as there are no other grounds of inadmissibility.

Good luck.

Edited by asdfg

I-485/I-130 filed: January 26,2012 (130/485 sent to Chicago lockbox, transferred to MSC, field office Baltimore, MD).

I-130 Approved: June 25, 2012

I-485 RFE issued: June 25, 2012

Contacted offices of Honorable Senator Ben Cardin and Barbara Mikulski at the end of July.

I-485 DECISION MADE on August 03, 2012 , LESS THAN A WEEK AFTER CONTACTING THE SENATOR'S OFFICE TO INQUIRE ON CASE STATUS!

I-485 WELCOME NOTICE RECEIVED IN MAIL: 08/08/12

Green Card in Mail: 08/11/12

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Listen, OP!

Under the law you can't be penalized for doing something when in fact you haven't done it.

You bought a ticket, you didn't cancel a ticket or else, the main thing is that you didn't depart US.

That is what matters.

So, what you must do now is PROVE it. If you have verifiable EVIDENCE that you were in US during and after the flight then you can, 100% guaranteed, have the decision reversed or win the removal proceedings in court.

Like others suggested, contact the airline and get a letter confirming that you didn't fly that day. Have the phone numbers, extensions and whatever information of the airline you have made available to USCIS: should they choose to verify it will save the time of searching.

Put as much of additional evidence as you can. For example, if you attended some big event or a wedding party or just about anything in US that is verifiable connected to a specific date and have your pictures taken then you can add these as an evidence of your presence in US on those dates.

Have you visited any official building, a bank or any large business and have witnesses/employees to confirm it?

Do you have unrelated to you neighbors who know you for years and have seen you living at any particular address?

Do you have kids? Did you take them to school and seen their teachers? Do you have other evidence (medical records, driving records , bills etc) to strengthen your case?

Once you submit a proof you should be fine as long as there are no other grounds of inadmissibility.

Good luck.

Thaks. Thats what i plan to do

Listen, OP!

That is what matters.

Good luck.

This is all correct. It is just trying to prove a negative is very hard. "You left the country." "Here is my passport, I do not have an exit stamp or an entry stamp for any date after my original POE in the US." "Oh they just forgot to stamp your passport." "But I still have my I-94." "Oh they forgot to take that from you. The airline has you boarding that flight so you left the country." "But I did not board that flight." "Where's your proof?"

The only way to prove the OP did not board that flight is to have the airline proved the manifest for whose boarding passes got scanned. They will not release that without some sort of court order. So the OP needs to get the airline to write a letter stating they he did not board that flight. They may or may not do that. It may take several phone calls and going up the chain at the airline. Unfortunately his fate is in the airline's hands to prove he did not board that flight. They have the only piece of evidence that will show he did not leave the country since they are the ones that said he did. All the other suggests you make are good at proving that he stayed in the country, but will the USCIS accept this or will this have to court?

I wish the OP well and hope it all turns out okay in the end,

Dave

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks everyone

I have booked an infopass

Good luck. I hope it is all resolved as quickly and painlessly as possible.

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I have a pending I-485/I-131/I-765 since Mid-August. I'm on a J1-visa and my return ticket was at the beginning of September, since I never intended to stay. I obviously did not use the return ticket and called my travel agent to reschedule/cancel it. They told me that rescheduling is >200€ + additional fare and cancellation with refund is not possible.

I ended up not showing up for my flight and I did not check-in online or anything.

Now I discovered this threat and got pretty nervous. I have a biometrics appointment on Friday. They should obviously see that I didn't leave the country, but I am still very nervous. Can I just let them know that I didn't leave? I can probably provide receipts/bank statements that I did debit & credit card transactions from the beginning of September til Mid-September, but I don't know if that is sufficient.

I guess I am worrying too much but I am really nervous. Please help.

I-751 ROC Journey - 2 years flew by!
8/15/14 - Mailed I-751 to VSC

8/19/14 - NOA

9/16/14 - Biometrics

2/18/15 - Card production notification

AOS w/concurrent I-130 Journey
8/10/12 - Mailed I-130/I-131/I-485/I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
8/13/12 - Received & Signed at 1pm
8/18/12 - Received text message from USCIS confirming the receipt of all cases (at 12am!)
9/14/12 - Biometrics
10/24/12 - Interview with approval during the interview

J-1 Waiver Journey
USCIS
Text/Email received with waiver approval - August 14th, 2012
Adjudication, waiver approved - August 13th, 2012
Receipt in the mail (I-797C, Notice of Action) - July 20th, 2012
Case receipt - July 16th, 2012

DOS
Recommendation Sent July 10, 2012
Sponsor Views Received July 08, 2012
Request for Sponsor Views Sent July 06, 2012
No Objection Statement Received July 02, 2012
Fee Received June 07, 2012
Form DS-3035 Received June 07, 2012
Form DS-2019 Received June 07, 2012
Passport Data Page Received June 07, 2012
Statement Of Reason Received June 07, 2012
Other Received June 07, 2012

Timeline

This does not happen very often because the airline company's passenger lists are usually updated. When you're already past the original return date, you can't do that much about it. You will have an interview though, and you may bring any sort of confirmation that you did not board the plane. The interview letter won't ask you to bring documents like that with you.

One of the times I was in the US(only visiting), I missed my flight twice, and the first day I got an email about not having checked in/boarded.

Even though cancellation with refund is impossible, if you have no intention boarding the plane or using your ticket, might as well just cancel that leg of the flight.

I have a pending I-485/I-131/I-765 since Mid-August. I'm on a J1-visa and my return ticket was at the beginning of September, since I never intended to stay. I obviously did not use the return ticket and called my travel agent to reschedule/cancel it. They told me that rescheduling is >200€ + additional fare and cancellation with refund is not possible.

I ended up not showing up for my flight and I did not check-in online or anything.

Now I discovered this threat and got pretty nervous. I have a biometrics appointment on Friday. They should obviously see that I didn't leave the country, but I am still very nervous. Can I just let them know that I didn't leave? I can probably provide receipts/bank statements that I did debit & credit card transactions from the beginning of September til Mid-September, but I don't know if that is sufficient.

I guess I am worrying too much but I am really nervous. Please help.

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

This does not happen very often because the airline company's passenger lists are usually updated. When you're already past the original return date, you can't do that much about it. You will have an interview though, and you may bring any sort of confirmation that you did not board the plane. The interview letter won't ask you to bring documents like that with you.

One of the times I was in the US(only visiting), I missed my flight twice, and the first day I got an email about not having checked in/boarded.

Even though cancellation with refund is impossible, if you have no intention boarding the plane or using your ticket, might as well just cancel that leg of the flight.

Thank you for your help. I contacted British Airways and they confirmed me on the phone that I was listed as "No Show" and send me a confirmation via email that I did not travel on the flight. Hope that helps now.

For the OP, I wish you all the best and hope that USCIS will make it right. Will include you in my prayers.

I-751 ROC Journey - 2 years flew by!
8/15/14 - Mailed I-751 to VSC

8/19/14 - NOA

9/16/14 - Biometrics

2/18/15 - Card production notification

AOS w/concurrent I-130 Journey
8/10/12 - Mailed I-130/I-131/I-485/I-765 to Chicago Lockbox
8/13/12 - Received & Signed at 1pm
8/18/12 - Received text message from USCIS confirming the receipt of all cases (at 12am!)
9/14/12 - Biometrics
10/24/12 - Interview with approval during the interview

J-1 Waiver Journey
USCIS
Text/Email received with waiver approval - August 14th, 2012
Adjudication, waiver approved - August 13th, 2012
Receipt in the mail (I-797C, Notice of Action) - July 20th, 2012
Case receipt - July 16th, 2012

DOS
Recommendation Sent July 10, 2012
Sponsor Views Received July 08, 2012
Request for Sponsor Views Sent July 06, 2012
No Objection Statement Received July 02, 2012
Fee Received June 07, 2012
Form DS-3035 Received June 07, 2012
Form DS-2019 Received June 07, 2012
Passport Data Page Received June 07, 2012
Statement Of Reason Received June 07, 2012
Other Received June 07, 2012

Timeline

Thank you for your help. I contacted British Airways and they confirmed me on the phone that I was listed as "No Show" and send me a confirmation via email that I did not travel on the flight. Hope that helps now.

For the OP, I wish you all the best and hope that USCIS will make it right. Will include you in my prayers.

Alles gut - glad you got out of that concern. : )

:ot2:

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Took letter from airline to them via Infopass.Three days later,online status changed to card production ordered.

Thanks everyone

VJ is a lifesaver

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.