Louise1114

The Sealed Envelope, accidentally opened it

23 posts in this topic

Hello,

My fiance received his k-1 visa by mail and did not notice the words "do not open" on the sealed envelope inside.

Does anyone know what repercussions this will have? Will he be denied entry to the US? Has anyone else been in the same situation.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Only the IO in the POE is allowed to open the sealed packet. It contains all her files including those that were from the embassy. It is sealed so that it can't be tampered with.

She can, however, go back to the US embassy in her country, bring the opened packet and they will be inspectin it again and re-sealing it. Depending on the country, this process may take weeks or months.

Good Luck!

"... for our Love conquered both Time and Distance."

Hello,

My fiance received his k-1 visa by mail and did not notice the words "do not open" on the sealed envelope inside.

Does anyone know what repercussions this will have? Will he be denied entry to the US? Has anyone else been in the same situation.

Bring the envelope back to the embassy.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
Hello,

I hope you got your answer about what to do, but I am dying to know what is in it..

09/25/2009 I-129F sent

09/28/2009 Received VSC

09/29/2009 NOA1

10/02/2009 Touched

10/06/2009 Touched again :)

10/07/2009 TOUCHED!!

11/04/2009 NOA2

11/10/2009 NVC Received

11/10/2009 NVC Sent to Napoli

11/12/2009 Napoli signed for the package

11/19/2009 Packet 3 received... and submitted

12/10/2009 INTERVIEW Napoli, Italy

12/10/2009 APPROVED!

12/23/2009 Trip to Italy for Christmas!

01/24/2010 POE Washington Dulles.. My baby's home!

03/20/2010 Wedding Day!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I hope you got your answer about what to do, but I am dying to know what is in it..

Inside the envelope, pretty much ALL the documents that you and your fiance submitted since the start of the K1 process. All the copies of the papers that your petitioner sent, the beneficiary's papers e.g. medical, interview stuff.

Reunited for good and it feels so good!

----- I-129F ------

I-129F Sent : 2009-03-02

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-03-05

NOA2 : 2009-09-01

Medical : 2009-10-01/02

Interview : 2009-10-13

POE (San Francisco) : 2009-11-20

Wedding : 2009-12-30

SSN (Married Name) : 2010-01-11

SSN Card Arrival : 2010-01-15

AOS Sent: 2010-03-19

AOS Arrived: 2010-03-25

AOS&EAD Notice Rcvd: 2010-04-30 dated 2010-04-23

AP Notice Rcvd: 2010-04-01

Biometrics Taken: 2010-05-07

Biometrics Schedule: 2010-05-21

EAD Card Arrived: 2010-06-16

Interview Schedule: 2010-06-25

Removal of Conditions

Packet Sent: May 14, 2012

Packet Received: May 16, 2012

INFOPASS Schedule: June 14, 2012

Biometrics Taken: June 14, 2012 (same day passport was stamped 1-551/6-month extension inc work authorization)

Biometrics Schedule: June 27, 2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

IIRC, it's gathered at the POE by either CBP staffer or an Immigration Staffer.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
Does anyone know who the first person to request the envelope is? Does anyone look at it at the point of departure, or just once my fiance lands in the US? Is it normally opened at the departure airport, or only after arriving?

It is given, still sealed, to the border agent or passport control officer when you arrive. They may open it but all the contents are forwarded to the USCIS for your file there.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello,

I'm very sorry to hear that happened. The delivery courier warned my K1 not to open the packet. Otherwise she may have and I've heard it's a common error. Unfortunately, I also heard you have to "start over" to some degree. It's too bad the Embassy doesn't include a note warning not to open their package.

Good luck.

I'm very sorry to hear that happened. The delivery courier warned my K1 not to open the packet. Otherwise she may have and I've heard it's a common error. Unfortunately, I also heard you have to "start over" to some degree. It's too bad the Embassy doesn't include a note warning not to open their package.

Good luck.

The officer who did my interview here in Norway warned me about it after she had approved my Visa. Twice she told me to make sure I don't ever open the envelope inside. It's also marked, both in english and norwegian, with a warning in caps about not to open it. I assume all envelopes, regardless of what country you live in, come with the same warning on the outside?

07.15.09 - Received NOA1

10.02.09 - Received NOA2 - So exciting!!

10.07.09 - Medical approved!

10.16.09 - Case left NVC

10.19.09 - Case delivered at consulate

10.21.09 - Package 3 received!

11.04.09 - Package 3 sent

11.25.09 - Interview APPROVED!

12.03.09 - Visa on hand!!

12.28.09 - POE in Seattle

02.13.10 - Our wedding day xD

12.14.12 - Mailed I-751 - Here we go again!

12.17.12 - Package delivered

12.20.12 - Received NOA 1 - dated 12.17.12

fqaVm8.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
It's too bad the Embassy doesn't include a note warning not to open their package.
Sorry, the warning was on the outside of the envelope. The recipient did not notice it.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Inside the envelope, pretty much ALL the documents that you and your fiance submitted since the start of the K1 process. All the copies of the papers that your petitioner sent, the beneficiary's papers e.g. medical, interview stuff.

Don't forget the magic popcorn - delicious... :whistle:

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Take it back to the embassy and tell them what happened and have it resealed. The consulate in Montreal told me to make sure I didn't open it and mine was well marked. Good luck.

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hello,

I'm sorry but I agree with everyone else in regards to contacting the embassy. It is HIGHLY LIKELY that he will be denied entry if he doesn't get this fixed because it appears as though he opened and tampered with the documents. He probably DIDN'T but the envelope is his WHOLE file.

For this reason he should definitely call/email the embassy to find out what he can do BUT I'm sorry to say that the embassy does not keep a copy of the documents so I'm not sure if that will even help because how can they be sure? I am not trying to upset you but instead warn you. Like someone else said it will probably take several weeks if they agree to do it. To triple check everything.

I honestly can't see how he didn't notice the HUGE sticker on the front of the envelope, or the USCIS seal over the "opening". I also don't understand why he would open something not knowing what it was, until he had looked over the whole envelope.. thus noticing the label "do not open"... I'm not trying to be mean but I just honestly don't understand that part. Maybe his country has a different system. But like everyone else said, I was told several times not to open it AND the letter I was given when I was approved said the same thing.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

she need to go back to the embassy and re sealed it b4 she travel becoz only the security of homeland or immigration at her point of entry is allowed to open that yellow envelope. or else they will deport her immediately it happened already to my frend. very important she need to re sealed that b4 she travel.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.