ACGeiger

Whats the hardest part

62 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Just out of curiosity, what did you all find was the hardest part of this whole process? Was it being away from your loved one, dealing with the government, or was it anything else that you found difficult?

Just wondering... best of luck to all

Timeline:

01-05-2008 - Met Linnea on the 5th day she was in the States

12-21-2008 - Linnea returned to Sweden

01-10-2009 - Joined Linnea in Sweden

06-15-2009 - Engaged!

06-22-2009 - Sent K1 Packet

06-29-2009 - Received NOA1

09-21-2009 - Received NOA2

11-06-2009 - Linnea Interviews

11-06-2009 - Received Notice stating we needed a waiver for 212(e) Student Visa

01-05-2010 - Went to Sweden to be with Linnea while we waited and to help with waiver

03-22-2010 - Linnea gets waiver for 212(e)!

05-16-2010 - Linnea enters into the US at Newark

05-22-2010 - Legally Married

07-17-2010 - Wedding in Savannah, GA.... so much fun

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only hard part is the seperation....

Everything else was pretty easy IMO.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
waiting-bored-waiting-boy-smiley-em.gif

The Waiting...

For me there were two things I found the absolute hardest. Being apart for so long of course, but more frustrating than that is being kept in the dark about where you are in the process. Nobody you call ever seems to know anything other than what their "script" says. THAT is just crazy-making.

-Blu-(STILL crazy after all these years)

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, the waiting apart with no news and no means to access what is going on.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

The waiting, especially at USCIS since there is little to no insight into their processing and any calls to them yield useless information.

The separation was hard too, but being Canadian we saw each other pretty frequently in comparison.

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Just out of curiosity, what did you all find was the hardest part of this whole process? Was it being away from your loved one, dealing with the government, or was it anything else that you found difficult?

Just wondering... best of luck to all

In our case, being forced apart for the 7.5 months of the process.

We had previously lived together for years and my fiance was denied entry as a tourist while the K-1 was being processed. I guess for others already apart, the paperwork might be worse.

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I can't say that the waiting for the hardest since we lived together in London throughout the whole thing. Otherwise I would probably agree that the waiting is the hardest! But since that can't be considered in my case, the hardest part was probably getting the original I-129F packet together. Once we got it together we had time to prepare for the next stages, but getting the initial pack together and searching VJ day and night for extra important facts was really annoying and time consuming.

N-400 Naturalization Process

June 25, 2013 --Qualified for Citizenship!

October 12, 2017 --Electronically filed

October 13, 2017 --NOA1

October 31, 2017 --Biometrics Appointment -ATL

ROC

April 5, 2012 --Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

May 21, 2012 --Biometric Appointment at ATL office

December 12, 2012 --10 year Green Card in hand

DCF Process

October 10, 2009 --Married in São Paulo

January 14, 2010 --Filed I-130 at São Paulo Consulate for DCF

May 17, 2010 --VISA IN HAND!

June 24, 2010 --POE in Atlanta

waiting-bored-waiting-boy-smiley-em.gif

The Waiting...

+1

And it wouldn't have been so unbearable if it was in any way predictable. But not feeling like anything was sure, and all the steps where it could go wrong was just awful, because we didn't dare hope that the end was even in sight.

For us, waiting for NOA2 was the worst, especially as Igor's gets so that people in your month are being approved. I'm sure being passed by on VJ has to be even worse. The rest of the steps happen at shorter intervals, so they are easier to deal with.

Now that we have the visa and are just waiting so that he can work almost right up to the wedding, it isn't as bad, at least I can count on him arriving in just 3 short months without having to remind myself about it being conditional on getting the visa.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Timeline

For me its hard to pinpoint one specific factor. Rather, I think its a combination of everything... Its difficult being apart, and that difficulty is heightened by the waiting and uncertainty of the process. Its also more difficult going through the stressful process of filling out paperwork and hunting down documents by yourself. I found putting together the I-129F petition was the easiest part, and that was simply because my fiance and I were together and put everything together as a unit. I guess its not having someone to hug when you're scared, uncertain, stressed out, confused and feeling downright hopeless.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Obviously all of the above. Either one is bad in itself. But the problem is that they work together to make your life extremely miserable. Being apart while being in USCS limbo is something I would not wish to my worst enemy. You are left in the dark and, like Nik said, there are many steps in which you could slip and not now until months after.

PEACE.........

When you love someone from the bottom of your heart; so much that you are willing to give your life for your loved one, time and distance takes a backseat. Only love prevails. And with love in you hearts you can overcome anything.

January 21, 2010 - Submitted AOS

January 25, 2010 - Cory received her SSN

March 9, 2010 - Received appointment for biometrics - will be on March 18

March 18, 2010 - Biometrics done

March 19, 2010 - Touches on I-485 and I-765

March 25, 2010 - Advance Parole approved..received on April 1 in the mail

March 29, 2010 - I-485 notice date, received on April 4, 2010

May 3, 2010 - EAD approved

May 5, 2010 - Date interview....approved

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

For me it was the not knowing part... not knowing when to see him next, not knowing when it will be our turn, not knowing if we did everything right... and so on... had a long long list with "not knowing..."

.png

2/16/08 --> finally send I-129F to CSC

7/21/08 --> touched/NOA2 email

8/09/08 --> "Pakage 3" in the mail

8/21/08 --> Medical Exam

9/19/08 --> Interview

9/26/08 --> Visa arrived

10/08/08 --> flying from Duesseldorf - JFK - Cleveland

11/08/08 --> finally married :)

12/27/08 --> AOS/EAD/AP send to Chicago

5/13/09 --> found a job and we picked out Molly (Beagle Puppy)

5/20/09 --> I485 "Card has been ordered" and again on 5/29/09

5/23/09 --> "Welcome to the United States of America"

6/2/09 --> AOS approved

6/5/09 --> GC in the mail and at night brinnging home Molly... such a great feeling :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Separation is ok as long as we know for sure that in a few months we will be reunited. But that's not our reality. My life at this point depends on the govt. Quite hard to take... Not too long ago, I simply rely on the govt (local at least) to pick up the trash on Tuesdays. Ehhh? Now the stake is higher and my future is in their hands. [Mea culpa for being a joker... but I'm really dying inside. It is hard to be away from the love of your life].

Just keep singing this if I were you: "Imagine there's no countries" -J. Lennon

- LB

Stay tune for yet another immi-saga in the life of LB & JD. Coming soon ---> AOS Chronicles

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.