Rico21

Marriage failing - wife won't attend AOS interview

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

There seems to be a tendency for people on this board to side with an OP who posts a short sob story and makes claims with very little details.

We have no idea if what someone posts is true or not. In this case this poster could be a cheater who really did use someone for a visa, got caught, and now they want advice on how to adjust.

The facts are simple. The relationship failed. The USC refuses to go to AOS and probably should call USCIS and state the current nature of the relationship and remove her support.

The OP, if they are making $90K+ is a professional in a skilled job and should be able to get a work visa.

Or they can make the claim the relationship was real, but abusive and they would like to adjust status on their own.

Filed: Timeline
There seems to be a tendency for people on this board to side with an OP who posts a short sob story and makes claims with very little details.

We have no idea if what someone posts is true or not. In this case this poster could be a cheater who really did use someone for a visa, got caught, and now they want advice on how to adjust.

The facts are simple. The relationship failed. The USC refuses to go to AOS and probably should call USCIS and state the current nature of the relationship and remove her support.

The OP, if they are making $90K+ is a professional in a skilled job and should be able to get a work visa.

Or they can make the claim the relationship was real, but abusive and they would like to adjust status on their own.

Hmmm. Not sure I agree with that. I know contractors and carpenters that make 90K, but they certainly would not qualify for a work visa.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
:unsure: I feel sad for you .All I can say is try to reach the home page of U.S Immigration services and you will find the information for your situation now. or try to gather advice from lawyers or close freinds. Seek for a help- before doing some actions. I just wish you will find the right answer for your questions.

• 2 weeks later...

If your wife makes $12,000.00, you have no kids (I assume), then clear out our account and valuables when she least expects it and apply for a divorce... she may come around and realize what she had.

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

I'm sorry you are in this situation. A similar thing happened to me.

I really do hope you can both work it out.

Shona

Filing I 360 3rd Nov 2005

Prima facie determination received from Vermont 20th Nov 2005

DIVORCED JANUARY 25th 2006

EAD applied for again (jeez I need to work ) 28th Feb 2006

Removal hearing July 12th 2006

RFE's received for I360 and EAD 13th October 2006

NOID received March 2007

EAD denied March 2007

Back to Immigration Court April 18th 2007

NOID request for evidence received USCIS 3rd May 2007

I 360 touched May 31st 2007

I 360 actually approved May 30th 2007

EAD filed June 23rd 2007

I 485 filed July 24th 2007

NOA1 for I 485 August 1st 2007

EAD approved August 6th 2007

Medical with CS August 28th 2007

Biometrics August 24th 2007

Paperwork sent to Immigration Judge to finally terminate removal proceedings September 10th 2007

GREEN CARD FINALLY APPROVED AFTER 4 YEARS September 9th 2008 :D

N-400 Filed online 03/04/2018

NOA online 03/05/2018- projected Citizenship completion date December 2018

Best of luck to you and keep strong (F)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

OP,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I am of the opinion that if you make a marriage last because there is a true/solid loved shared between you, then you are doing the honorable thing.

But ..

If you believe someone that truly loves you would do what your wife is doing to you, then your love is a blind / one sided love.

That being said ..

According to your account of the situation, you did enter into the marriage in good faith. Although your wife systematically alienated all of your friends in the U.K. you believed that your marriage would last thus you believe that you entered the U.S. with good faith on your K-Visa.

I won't tell you what is the right thing, or the smart thing to do, but you need to be happy with your life. If you are truly honest to yourself in this situation you need to consider what you are asking in the original post.

Is staying in the marriage because you want to adjust status fair to either you or your wife? If you stay just long enough to adjust status, is it legal as far as Immigration laws go?

You obviosly aren't happy with your life now. Would you be happy back with your friends in the U.K.?

And finally, why is it so important that you stay in a go-nowhere relationship with a person that keeps you beat to the ground just to receive a conditional 2 year card when you have so many more legs of your journey to complete and you could go home and be happy tomorrow?

CB

Donnie and Sylvia

our AOS interview on the 7th Nov.

Well its Nov 9th, so did you go with your wife or alone to the interview? Give us an update of what the outcome was. Hope it was positive. (F)

12140.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

I am sorry that you are having such difficulty. The bottom line is that you need something. You have to make the decision that you somewhat as my fahter would say "Suck salt on a wooden spoon", do must what you must to get what you want (Morally that is). Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goal. Do everything that you have to do, go to an immigration lawyer, speak to her, try to find a medium, there is one. Think positive your tables would turn soon. Your interview date is not far away, and the sacrifices you make now are only temporary. The things you deal with now are small, compare to what this card opens up to you. Dont get me wrong I am not telling to sell your soul, but only you knows what it is worth to you. I wish you all the best.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
If your wife makes $12,000.00, you have no kids (I assume), then clear out our account and valuables when she least expects it and apply for a divorce... she may come around and realize what she had.

that would be pretty low, don't you think? if she makes only 1k a month just how would she pay any bills?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

sounds like going back to the UK would actually be the best idea: afterall you have friends there and none in the US according to what you say: certainly doesn't sound like your wife is going to help you out with the AOS interview, so you would be forced to become an illegal immigrant

the only way around this would be for you to get your employer to file for a H1-B visa: if they're not familiar with the paperwork you would have to do everything yourself or hire a lawyer: if you plan to do that, it would be best to forget the AOS interview: depends on your line of employment whether you would be eligible for a H1-B visa

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I should add that I didn't mean to imply you can adjust status this way. You can't go to the interview alone and claim that your wife is happy to support you. Your K3 visa is still valid and you'd be able to stay until it expired and try to work out something with your employer in the next year.

He can stay until his I-94 expires, not until his visa expires. The dates may be close together but could be as far apart as nearly two years. The legal status is derived from the I-94, not the visa.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline
I should add that I didn't mean to imply you can adjust status this way. You can't go to the interview alone and claim that your wife is happy to support you. Your K3 visa is still valid and you'd be able to stay until it expired and try to work out something with your employer in the next year.

He can stay until his I-94 expires, not until his visa expires. The dates may be close together but could be as far apart as nearly two years. The legal status is derived from the I-94, not the visa.

Right, the visa is the entry document. The I-94 indicates the period of "authorised stay".

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

our AOS interview on the 7th Nov.

Well its Nov 9th, so did you go with your wife or alone to the interview? Give us an update of what the outcome was. Hope it was positive. (F)

Hi Folks,

She did finally come with me and we were approved for the visa. It actually went really smoothly. Our relationship has also actually improved somewhat since my original post and we've made a couple of major changes that appear to be working. I do love my wife very much and I trust that she does love me. We've had more than our fair share of problems and it's been hard to balance the bad with the good sometimes however now that we have the AOS out of the way I think this may perhaps take some pressure off our relationship... we'll see, I do feel like I've done all the changing and accepting so far so now it's down to her, and I've told her as much. I actually have managed to have a frank and open converstation with her for the first time in months since the AOS and that has really helped.

To those that suggested jacking it all in and going back to the UK, well this is not my style - I firmly believe that you work for what you get and sometimes it's hard, when you fight for something you often get more than you were looking for but it often takes a little longer. It's amazing what you don't get if you don't try.... right now I feel this is the right thing to do, my career and life is now over here and now that the threat of loss of visa has been removed I think I can concentrate on what the right course of action is for me with regard to my relationship. Thanks to all those that wrote kind words !

R

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.