ozziekan101

Living in Hell. What are my options!!

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Togo
Timeline

It feels really good to have once again found the forum thats been helpful to me in the past when i was relocating from Scotland about a year ago..

It's only sad that this time around i'm not hear to discuss anything of joy,like,'HEY, I GOT MY K-1 VISA!!' etc..

I'm rather coming here to seek help after about over a year of mental torture, stress and lack of peace of mind..

I moved here from scotland last year after my spouse filed a k-1 visa. Everything was fine back then and our love life was second to none..even though we were having a long distance relationship as she was here and i was back home in scotland.

After i moved here and got married, we moved in together and ever since then i havent had one full week without a major fight, arguement or misunderstanding..

We have been to 2 marriage counsellors and 1 financial counsellor. We even been to marriage group sessions.

We seem to have lots of expectations from each other considering we're both from different cultures.

We havent been able to agree on any major thing as the other person is still pushing for personal agenda.

The fights have gotten worse and she's getting physical.. the police have been involved on a couple of occassions and i refused to press charges on both occasions.

A lot has gone on but now, its looking like the best option is to go our seperate ways...She already has told me she's moving out b4 the weekend.

I'm tired of begging her to stay and i feel like i'm just gonna cave into her threats..

Now, the main concern is what my options are concerning my status here...I already got the condtional GC in january and have 2 years to go.

Sought legal advice and i was told i could file an i-751 but i dont know the success rate of that if i was to file alone on grounds on entered marriage in good faith but it didnt work.. I know i could go on the grounds of abuse and mental torture but i unfortunately didnt press any charges when i could so i have no proof of that..Not even proof of the time, she put all my property in trash bags and brought them to me at work or the time she destroyed all she ever bought for me even up till toothbrush,birthday cards, joint vision board plans etc..she shredded it all..

I'm scared for my life and sanity. My family is worried she may hurt me but i dont wanna lose my status here but it feels like i'm caught in between fire and the deep blue sea..

I NEED HELP, ADVICE !! I need protection. My career and every other thing is going just fine but its a living hell at home.

What are my options and where do i go from here...My conditonal GC expires in january '09 but whether i'd still be able to cope with my spouse till then is a major doubt only by divine intervention

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

If divorced you can lift the conditions on the green-card on your own, you can file a waiver to the joint filing requirement.

Filing after Divorce or Annulment

A conditional permanent resident with a marriage that was terminated due to divorce or annulment must file for a waiver of the requirement of the joint filing of Form I-751. To obtain an approval of the I-751 and be granted unconditional lawful permanent resident status, the conditional permanent resident spouse must be able to show that s/he entered into the marriage in good faith.

The person seeking permanent resident status should expect to undergo an interview at the USCIS about the marriage. The USCIS will closely scrutinize whether the marriage was bona fide at its inception. The USCIS will review the divorce decree and complaint for matters that may be reflective of whether the marriage was entered into purely for immigration purposes or to perpetrate fraud against the United States citizen spouse or the USCIS.

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_remcon.html

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
If divorced you can lift the conditions on the green-card on your own, you can file a waiver to the joint filing requirement.

don't you have to married for at least 2 years?

correct me if I am wrong...

Edited by darkhorse
4ce772a081.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

don't you have to married for at least 2 years?

correct me if I am wrong...

No, lifting conditions on a conditional green-card tends to happen close to 2nd wedding anniversary for K-1s, but in a case of divorce or annulment, the conditional LPR can immediately file to lift the conditional status, even well before the normal 90 days.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

yes, but what is being missed here is the OP's question on 'success' rate based on very minimal evidence....help him out there in that.

And of course, the only advice that can be given, is get a compotent immigration lawyer, one registered with AILA

i think the website is www.aila.org good luck.

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

If you wanted to stay in the US, and remove your conditions without your spouse, you would A> need to be divorced (separation is not good enough), B> or if still married, prove that you were battered or subject to extreme mental cruelty (need all kinds of documentation, check the removal of conditions application for a complete list) or C> your spouse would have to be dead.

I don't know if that is helpful to you, but at least you will know your options.

As for success rate - I would think that those who entered their marriage in good faith and can send in documentation proving a legitimate marriage probably have a pretty good shot at self filing once divorced.

Edited by jane2005

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

Ozziekan101, if I were you, I would be contacting the individuals and/or agencies that handled all of the counseling. Get them to write some kind of brief letter for you confirming your attendance at counseling (dates especially), and get copies of any receipts for payments you may have made. Imho, counseling is excellent evidence that a) the marriage was entered into in good faith and b ) the marriage was having serious problems and you tried to work at it.

I imagine also that, even though you did not press charges with the police, there are probably police reports on the incidents on file. I'd request copies of those, too.

And of course any other evidence of co-mingling of finances, lease, etc... I'd also be creating a timeline of events in the marriage, too, while my memory was still fresh.

Best of luck,

Maya

Edited by maya62

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

You have documentation.

Everytime police are called there is a police report, regaurdless of weather you filed charges or not.

Also you have the counseling you attended you can get letters from them.

When you file divorce, file on grounds of abuse and secure a restraining order against your spouse.

That would be enough to prove your case with USCIS

USCIS only requires evedience of abuse. No conviction of abuse is required.

Rick

December 12 2006 Filed I130

Jan 10 2007 got receipt and case number!

Jan 12 2007 sent 129F

Feb 6 notice they were moving the file to a faster service center.

Feb 26 Notice of I130 approval

Feb 28 2007 notice they were sending 129F to USCIS for further investigation (err #######?)

May 15 2007 notice of approval of 129F with processing dates of 05/15/2007 thru 09/14/2007

May 28 2007 Notice from attorney that NVC needed processed and money orders were needed.

June 4 2007 Traveled to Manila to spend 2 weeks with my wife!! (YeHaaaa!!)

Fed-xed her signed papers (For NVC) from Manila to attorney from Manila while on vacation

June 18 2007 Nvc approved support.

June 29 2007 packet arrived @ my home informing of interveiw for I130 on Aug 27 2007 and explaining Medical interveiw.

(Note wife never received packet for I130 in Philippines I fed-ex'ed mine to her for medical interveiw)

July 17 2007 packet arrived for 129F setting interveiw for Sept 5 2007

August 5 2007 Wife flew to Manila for medical interveiw on August 6.

August 26 wife flew to Manila for I130 interveiw on August 27 2007.

August 27 2007 12:31 pm I130 Approved

wife arriving Nov 18th

WIFE ARRIVED Nov 18th!!!!

Website I made my wife!

http://rickrox.tripod.com/roxan1.html

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You do not HAVE to stay married if it is not working out for you... in fact, if your marriage is the warzone that you describe, you have every reason to divorce your wife and take up an independant life in the US. To lift conditions by yourself, you'll need to show that your marriage was entered into in good faith and was a 'real' relationship, not just a way to get a greencard. Having gone to counselling is a good proof of effort... you could get a letter from the counsellors to say that they saw you and your wife for X period of time.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
It feels really good to have once again found the forum thats been helpful to me in the past when i was relocating from Scotland about a year ago..

It's only sad that this time around i'm not hear to discuss anything of joy,like,'HEY, I GOT MY K-1 VISA!!' etc..

I'm rather coming here to seek help after about over a year of mental torture, stress and lack of peace of mind..

I moved here from scotland last year after my spouse filed a k-1 visa. Everything was fine back then and our love life was second to none..even though we were having a long distance relationship as she was here and i was back home in scotland.

After i moved here and got married, we moved in together and ever since then i havent had one full week without a major fight, arguement or misunderstanding..

We have been to 2 marriage counsellors and 1 financial counsellor. We even been to marriage group sessions.

We seem to have lots of expectations from each other considering we're both from different cultures.

We havent been able to agree on any major thing as the other person is still pushing for personal agenda.

The fights have gotten worse and she's getting physical.. the police have been involved on a couple of occassions and i refused to press charges on both occasions.

A lot has gone on but now, its looking like the best option is to go our seperate ways...She already has told me she's moving out b4 the weekend.

I'm tired of begging her to stay and i feel like i'm just gonna cave into her threats..

Now, the main concern is what my options are concerning my status here...I already got the condtional GC in january and have 2 years to go.

Sought legal advice and i was told i could file an i-751 but i dont know the success rate of that if i was to file alone on grounds on entered marriage in good faith but it didnt work.. I know i could go on the grounds of abuse and mental torture but i unfortunately didnt press any charges when i could so i have no proof of that..Not even proof of the time, she put all my property in trash bags and brought them to me at work or the time she destroyed all she ever bought for me even up till toothbrush,birthday cards, joint vision board plans etc..she shredded it all..

I'm scared for my life and sanity. My family is worried she may hurt me but i dont wanna lose my status here but it feels like i'm caught in between fire and the deep blue sea..

I NEED HELP, ADVICE !! I need protection. My career and every other thing is going just fine but its a living hell at home.

What are my options and where do i go from here...My conditonal GC expires in january '09 but whether i'd still be able to cope with my spouse till then is a major doubt only by divine intervention

Hmmm, she's abusing you so bad to can't stay with her, but you refused to press charges. I wonder why? Sounds like we're only getting one side of the stroy here. Unless of course you just used her to get into the US and now you want to justify your separation, then it all makes sense.

Filed: Timeline

Hmmm, she's abusing you so bad to can't stay with her, but you refused to press charges. I wonder why? Sounds like we're only getting one side of the stroy here. Unless of course you just used her to get into the US and now you want to justify your separation, then it all makes sense.

Yeah, because people from the UK are just DYING to give up their "free" healthcare, long vacations, and many other benefits to move to a strange country where they get absolutely nothing. Good call there, Einstein.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Yeah, because people from the UK are just DYING to give up their "free" healthcare, long vacations, and many other benefits to move to a strange country where they get absolutely nothing. Good call there, Einstein.

I'm sure their "free" health care is great! :lol:

Charlie, I’ve noticed your posts before like for that girl from an East European country getting her B2 visa to go to her fiancé funeral. And Platypius is right. People do not give up on their lives just to go to the States! Free healthcare in Europe is really good and people here are really lucky to have some benefits that don’t exist in the States but they go there to be with the person they love not because they are going to live better. Maybe they will maybe not. I hate to go true this process and I know I have to start all over although I have Masters and bunch of work experience. But I’ll do it for my love!

K1 TIME LINE

05/21/2007 - I129F sent to VSC

05/25/2007 - NOA1

10/10/2007 touch (change of address)

10/11/2007 touch

10/12/2007 touch

10/15/2007 NOA2 (Approved)

10/18/2007 NVC received

11/02/2007 NVC left

11/06/2007 embassy received the petition

11/07/2007 package 3 & 4 sent out

11/08/2007 medical

11/26/2007 INTERVIEW

11/30/2007 US entry POE Washington DC

12/15/2007 Wedding

01/06/2008 AOS filed

01/14/2008 SSN received

01/12/2008 Drivers licens obtained:-)

02/05/2008 biometrics appointement

03/26/2008 approval notice for EAD

03/31/2008 another approval notice for EAD (confused)

04/04/2008 EAD received

04/09/2008 Notice mailed welcoming the new permanent resident!!!!!!!!! I guess I'll be getting my green card in the mail soon.

04/16/2008 AOS approval notice sent

04/16/2008 Green Card received!!!!!

dubrovnik.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I'm sure their "free" health care is great!

Erm... Yes, actually it is! I'm actually rather worried about giving it up!

Our K1 Journey

November 5th 2005 - ♥ Tash & Chris met ♥

June 11th 2007 - We posted the I129F :D

June 19th 2007 - USCIS received date

June 22nd 2007 - NOA1 received

November 16th 2007 - NOA2 - 156 days from filing

November 24th 2007 - Hard copy of NOA2 received

December 15th 2007 - Packet 3 received

January 18th 2008 - Packet 3 returned

February 13th 2008 - Packet 4 received

March 4th 2008 - Medical @ 1.00pm

March 5th 2008 - INTERVIEW @ 10.00am - APPROVED!!

March 11th 2008 - Visa received!

April 30th 2008 - Flying home at last!!!!! (POE: Dulles - Washington DC)

July 12th 2008 - Wedding date!

Now for AOS!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.