Queko05

Longer evidence packet = longer wait time?

24 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Me and my fiance are currently filing for the K-1.

I'm 17 and he's 18 (UK).

The whole packet turned out to be ~100 pages, with the addition of parental consent and their proof of IDs.

Does this mean longer wait time -- we're going to file on monday. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Posted (edited)

When is the last time you were actually together in the same place?  You do realize that he cannot work inside the US for up to 6 or 8 months?  He cannot leave the US for 6 to 8 months?  Have you really given this the proper amount of thought?  Your future depends on it.

I don't see the size of the packet causing any issues.  Your age and your eligibility to marry in your state might raise questions.

The immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

i don't think the longer packet will cause a longer wait time.

Regardless of parental consent USCIS might take longer because of your age, since the legal age to marry in every state except 2 is 18.

"Both the U.S. citizen and the K-1 visa applicant must have been legally free to marry at the time the petition was filed and must have remained so thereafter. The marriage must be legally possible according to laws of the U.S. state in which the marriage will take place."

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html

you may be able to get around that with the parental consent, but USCIS might still take issue with it.

Not sure when you turn 18, but you might be better off waiting until then so you don't waste money or time.

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024!!!

2 hours ago, MalloryCat said:

i don't think the longer packet will cause a longer wait time.

Regardless of parental consent USCIS might take longer because of your age, since the legal age to marry in every state except 2 is 18.

"Both the U.S. citizen and the K-1 visa applicant must have been legally free to marry at the time the petition was filed and must have remained so thereafter. The marriage must be legally possible according to laws of the U.S. state in which the marriage will take place."

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html

you may be able to get around that with the parental consent, but USCIS might still take issue with it.

Not sure when you turn 18, but you might be better off waiting until then so you don't waste money or time.

I think all states require 18 without consent, 16-17+ parental consent (both of my parents consent and we included signed consent letters under perjury and copies of their passports and birth certificates). 

Why would USCIS take issue with that?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Queko05 said:

I think all states require 18 without consent, 16-17+ parental consent (both of my parents consent and we included signed consent letters under perjury and copies of their passports and birth certificates). 

I would think they would take issue with it because you are still under age. even with parental consent.

Like i said, you may still be able to get by with the consent forms, but the process might take longer.

sponsoring a visa is not a simple thing. There's a lot of rules that go along with it.

It might be worth contacting USCIS directly so see if there is an issue with you filing an I-129f at 17.

I don't think its very common to be that young filing this kind of visa petition, as there is not a lot of information about it.

The only thing I could find that says other wise, it filling out an affidavit of support (I-864), where you have to be at least 18 to file it, even with a joint sponsor.  But that form doesn't come until after the K-1 visa process is complete.

I-129f Sent:  08-07-2023

I-129f NOA1:  08-15-2023

I-129f NOA2: 03-05-2024

NVC Case # Assigned:  03-25-2024

Consulate Received: 04-11-2024

Packet 3 Received: 04-25-2024

Interview Date: 07-09-2024!!!

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, SneakyPete said:

100 pages sounds like too much for I-129F. Entirely unnecessary at USCIS stage. 

It is somewhat subjective. The burden of proof is always on the petitioner. If it's all relevant proof and not local train schedule, it's all a fair game. 

Edited by OldUser

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Burden of proof of what? MAin requirement is intent to marry within 90 days which is satisfied by 2 letters of intent and a single face to face meeting within 2 years. Which is usually satisfied via passport stamps, photos at known landmarks, or  I-94s if it is beneficiary the one visiting. 

32 minutes ago, SneakyPete said:

Burden of proof of what? MAin requirement is intent to marry within 90 days which is satisfied by 2 letters of intent and a single face to face meeting within 2 years. Which is usually satisfied via passport stamps, photos at known landmarks, or  I-94s if it is beneficiary the one visiting. 

1) Proof of validity of relationship. E.g. the fiancé is not being sponsored for fraudulent reasons. This is probably majority of pages in OP's evidence.

2) Proof of identities of petitioner and beneficiary

3) Supporting documentation for any convictions in the past

4) Proof both parties are free to marry

5) Proof of the plans to marry

6) Proof of meeting face to face in the last 2 years

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
10 hours ago, Queko05 said:

Oh yes, fully aware. As for when was the last time, yesterday. We've known each other all of our lives (I'm a dual UK-US citizen and lived in the UK for 15 years). I only moved back to the U.S. September 23. 

Congrats on knowing the love of your life your whole life!  Go for it!  don't think the size of the packet will make a difference.  If anything you will avoid and RFE. By the time everything gets approved you may be 18 anyway.  They are currently taking about a year.

8 hours ago, MalloryCat said:

I would think they would take issue with it because you are still under age. even with parental consent.

Like i said, you may still be able to get by with the consent forms, but the process might take longer.

sponsoring a visa is not a simple thing. There's a lot of rules that go along with it.

It might be worth contacting USCIS directly so see if there is an issue with you filing an I-129f at 17.

I don't think its very common to be that young filing this kind of visa petition, as there is not a lot of information about it.

The only thing I could find that says other wise, it filling out an affidavit of support (I-864), where you have to be at least 18 to file it, even with a joint sponsor.  But that form doesn't come until after the K-1 visa process is complete.

You are right on the age alert. .fot the I-864 , sponsor must be 18. ..so even if processing is lightning speed, no AOS til OP is 18.

‘The I-129 F at USCIS stage won’t have a problem as there is no requirement.

At consulate …seems like it could be roll of the dice …as I am assuming OP is a student and likely dependent on parents. Beneficiary can try scouting some employment offers from US companies around the time of interview  and OP parents can do an I-134 as well

https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM050207.html

c.  (U) Public Charge, Evidence of Support:

(1)  (U) A K visa applicant and any accompanying children must meet the public charge requirement of INA 212(a)(4) like any other visa applicant.  While evidence of support is usually requested, there is no absolute requirement that an affidavit of support or other public charge documentation be presented.  It is only necessary that you conclude that the applicant is not likely to become a public charge.  It would not be unusual, therefore, for a healthy applicant of working age, applying alone, to establish eligibility during the visa interview without the need for substantiating documentation.

(2)  (U) Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act, cannot be required.  Applicants may submit a letter from the petitioner’s employer or evidence that they will be self-supporting.  Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, may be requested when you deem it useful.

https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM060114.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
10 hours ago, Queko05 said:

The job of USCIS 1) to see if there is anything that can disqualify a petition, and 2) to verify the information provided, and by extension, the validity of the petition.  

One thing going for you is that you do not need to establish proof of bona fide relationship for the I-129F.  You just need to provide proof of the 3 basic requirements:  the petitioner is a US citizen, both parties are free to marry and intend to marry, and the parties have physically met within the last 2 years.  USCIS will also check that the petitioner does not have a criminal history that bars from qualifying.   The approval of the fiance visa itself by the embassy is a separate matter, which requires background checks of the beneficiary, relationship evidence, and other requirements.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.