bolero_pa

Is the I-751 required as part of the "K-1 >>> Citizen" Process? (Ask stupid questions; Win stupid prizes)

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Apologies. I fear this has been asked 100,000 times. I've been reading VJ and and any site I can find. Do all those whom are K-1 married and with 2-year green card need to submit the I-751? Our 2-year green card expires this coming December. I think we need to submit an I-751, but some sites suggest it's unnecessary.

One more stupid question. One site says we need to wait 3 years before submitting the N-400, but another site says it can begin after 2 years and 9 months. 

All of this seems simple, but there's no site with a the extremely simplified outline my simple mind requires. Every process is cluttered with too many details.

Thanks so much!

Timeline
6 minutes ago, bolero_pa said:

Apologies. I fear this has been asked 100,000 times. I've been reading VJ and and any site I can find. Do all those whom are K-1 married and with 2-year green card need to submit the I-751? Our 2-year green card expires this coming December. I think we need to submit an I-751, but some sites suggest it's unnecessary.

One more stupid question. One site says we need to wait 3 years before submitting the N-400, but another site says it can begin after 2 years and 9 months. 

All of this seems simple, but there's no site with a the extremely simplified outline my simple mind requires. Every process is cluttered with too many details.

Thanks so much!

Yes you must file the 751 no more than 90 days before the green card expires. This is the best site to be on. I've learned alot myself as I stumbled on this website by chance reading about the reviews of the embassy in Manila. 

E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, the I175 (not the I90) is required if you have a 2 year GC and it can be filed 90 days prior to the expiration date and not a day earlier.  Also, if qualified, one can file the N400 under the three year rule, and similar to the I751, this can be submitted 90 days prior to the 3 year anniversary of the GC date and again not a day early.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Removal of Conditions, from K1 P&P- the OP is asking about ROC and needs to get familiar with this process.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

We also had K-1 Visa, and were required to submit the I-751.

If you have a 2 year green card you will need to submit the I-751.  You will not be able to naturalize until the  751 is approved.

Timeline

Thanks, everyone. Very helpful. I was confused because some of the law practice websites have incorrect information. For example, I read tips, like the one below, which made it seem like if your green card has the code "CR1", then you do need to file the I-751. However, our green card has "CF1", which seemed not to require the I-751 (untrue). Also, I swear I read on another site which I can't find now, that even if the green card expires, it's not a problem. Anyway, we're all set now and thanks. We'll file the I-751.

From a law firm website:

"TIP:

You can check whether you have conditional residence by looking at the front of your green card. If your card has the letters “CR1” under the “Category” heading, then you have a conditional green card. You can also check the expiration date on your green card to see if you were issued a 2-year or 10-year green card."

One thing I noticed is that the USCIS appears to be allowing an additional 48 months beyond the expiration of green cards. This is for those who have filed on time the I-751:
https://www.uscis.gov/newsroom/alerts/uscis-extends-green-card-validity-for-conditional-permanent-residents-with-a-pending-form-i-751-or

- yes you'll get the 48 month extension letter once your i751 form has been checked over to see if it's been filled in correctly.

- once you have a 10 green card you are a permanent resident, so even if your green card expires your permanent resident status remains ie it's not tied to the 10 year expiration date on the card. - I think that's what you might have read about regarding the green card expiry is not a problem. Just to be clear for a conditional 2 year card the date on the card very much does matter and the i751 application must be sent in. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.