fellaamazing

Is Social security office visit required after K1-AOS

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My husband got social security card while on K1 with married name, which says "Valid for work only with DHS authorization". Now that his AOS is approved and we are waiting for physical green card before he can start to work, do we need to take another trip to social security office before he can officially work?

It’s HIGHLY and strongly recommended to go to an SSA office with a GC to take that language off. Do yourself a favor - when presenting documents to an employer for I-9 purposes do NOT give your GC. Give a DL or a state ID AND an SSN card without the DHS restriction. If you give your GC, it’s highly probable they will ask for reverification when it expires even though it’s illegal for them to do that. There are many threads about this headache on this forum. Save yourself this headache by making that trip to the SSA office.

Edited by powerpuff

Timeline
5 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

It’s HIGHLY and strongly recommended to go to an SSA office with a GC to take that language off. Do yourself a favor - when presenting documents to an employer for I-9 purposes do NOT give your GC. Give a DL or a state ID AND an SSN card without the DHS restriction. If you give your GC, it’s highly probable they will ask for reverification when it expires even though it’s illegal for them to do that. There are many threads about this headache on this forum. Save yourself this headache by making that trip to the SSA office.

Do we need to wait few days or right after receiving green card?

Also should we wait for physical social security card without that language for first job?

Drivers license will also take time. The one they issued earlier expired 90 days after his entry.

1 minute ago, fellaamazing said:

I went right after 

1 minute ago, fellaamazing said:

Also should we wait for physical social security card without that language for first job?

I would. But he can definitely start applying. Hiring takes time so by the time he gets an offer letter, he will probably have the unrestricted card. 

The choice is ultimately yours of course. If you’re okay with presenting a GC rather than DL with unrestricted SSN and dealing with the potential scenario I mentioned above, then that is certainly your prerogative. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
49 minutes ago, fellaamazing said:

Drivers license will also take time. The one they issued earlier expired 90 days after his entry.

Not necessary since you have the physical SSC with the note and a GC, you should be fine.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
59 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

I would. But he can definitely start applying. Hiring takes time so by the time he gets an offer letter, he will probably have the unrestricted card. 

The choice is ultimately yours of course. If you’re okay with presenting a GC rather than DL with unrestricted SSN and dealing with the potential scenario I mentioned above, then that is certainly your prerogative. 

He already started interviewing, and they said similar things to come after physical green card.
Now about DL, since his expired, and we need a DPS appointment to get it extended or have road test (which can take months in Austin area; unless we drive several hours for same day appointment)

Is DL the only thing along with unrestricted SSN? Or can he present something like foreign passport? Also, if he gets the temporary DL while we wait for physical one, can he use that temporary DL?

The list of acceptable documents are in the I-9 form on page 2. Foreign passport and temporary DLs are not on that.

You can’t get a state ID? I don’t suppose there would be any delays with that..

4 hours ago, fellaamazing said:

i would wait. im the unlucky one, even waited 10 days, DHS aka USCIS didnt update my GC status. 

after i went to SSA office, took me 2,5 months to get the unrestricted SSN. 

when employer asked me to update my I-9 i just gave them my DL and unrestricted SSN. the end. super easy

i refused to show my GC for job related (that's my choice)

you dont need to wait to find a job if u already have SSN that's restricted. 

Edited by Verrou

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2024 at 12:40 PM, Verrou said:

when employer asked me to update my I-9 i just gave them my DL and unrestricted SSN. the end. super easy

i refused to show my GC for job related (that's my choice)

Can I just write these words in gold? This IS the right process. Saw at least two messages today in I-751 forum where people complained about employers asking for GC while they're waiting for extension letter... To LPRs reading: Always, always show your DL (or state ID) with unrestricted SS card and you'll never have an issue.

20 hours ago, OldUser said:

Can I just write these words in gold? This IS the right process. Saw at least two messages today in I-751 forum where people complained about employers asking for GC while they're waiting for extension letter... To LPRs reading: Always, always show your DL (or state ID) with unrestricted SS card and you'll never have an issue.

Should be pinned 💪

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.