Play

I want to sponsor a Tourist visa for my sister

10 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum.

4 hours ago, Play said:

Where do I start with the Tourist visa?

What paperwork do I need?

Please help.

You don't. Unlike some other countries, there is no official sponsorship for a tourist visa to the US. So there is nothing for you to do. Your sister has to file on her own. And she should show that she has strong ties to her home country. 

Here is a helpful link for your sister to review the process:

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

4 hours ago, Play said:

Where do I start with the Tourist visa?

What paperwork do I need?

Please help.

As said above, nothing for you to do really. As the DoS website says "Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant's residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a visitor visa. If you choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember it is not one of the factors used in determining whether to issue or deny the visa."

Where is your sister from? Some countries are tougher than others, and the wait time for an interview varies hugely as well.

Edited by appleblossom

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Ethiopia and seems OP has just arrived in the US.

As has been said by others it is all down to her to apply.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

10 hours ago, Unlockable said:

Welcome to the forum.

You don't. Unlike some other countries, there is no official sponsorship for a tourist visa to the US. So there is nothing for you to do. Your sister has to file on her own. And she should show that she has strong ties to her home country. 

Here is a helpful link for your sister to review the process:

what a coincidence, My sister is from Dominican Republic

10 hours ago, appleblossom said:

As said above, nothing for you to do really. As the DoS website says "Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant's residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a visitor visa. If you choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember it is not one of the factors used in determining whether to issue or deny the visa."

Where is your sister from? Some countries are tougher than others, and the wait time for an interview varies hugely as well.

My sister is from dominican Republic, I am a US citizens, She is a teacher, Almost retiring. She has a good job.

2 hours ago, Play said:

My sister is from dominican Republic, I am a US citizens, She is a teacher, Almost retiring. She has a good job.

Then she does not need your assistance. 

She should go to the US Embassy Dominican Republic and follow the links to apply for the B1/B2.

She will then have to schedule an appointment. 

New appointment times are released on Wednesday so she should monitor the website on Wednesdays to try to get an appointment time. 

Currently the wait time for an appointment is 259 days.

This does not mean it will be 259 days until she can obtain an appointment. Usually it is a little longer or a little shorter. You will just have to monitor the website to get the best time for you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.