Hamdy ELgallad

When shall I recieve my social security number after entering USA as immigrant

29 posts in this topic

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Dears, 

Three weeks passed since I entered USA as an immigrant, but unfortunately till now I haven’t receive my social security number.

Can any valuable member  advice or share his personal experience about the time it takes till I recieve my social security number 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

did u mark the ds 260 for USCIS to do the work to get your SS #

If not,  make an appointment with SS office taking your passport with the stamp for the F3 and another proof of ID and apply for SS card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to SSN, from General Immigration Discussion~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
3 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

did u mark the ds 260 for USCIS to do the work to get your SS #

If not,  make an appointment with SS office taking your passport with the stamp for the F3 and another proof of ID and apply for SS card

Yes, we filled Ds260 when we applied for the immigration visa 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, Hamdy ELgallad said:

Yes, we filled Ds260 when we applied for the immigration visa 

all immigrants do

BUT did u mark the box for USICS to apply for the SS #?

if not, u need to apply 

It seems like people either receive them really fast.  Like in a week or two.  Or else, a few people just don't receive them at all even if they did check the box.  If it's been 3 weeks it's probably just about time to make an enquiry at the Social Security office.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

all immigrants do

BUT did u mark the box for USICS to apply for the SS #?

if not, u need to apply 

We selected delivery of SSI to same address on Ds260 

Timeline
12 hours ago, Hamdy ELgallad said:

We selected delivery of SSI to same address on Ds260 

Then take your information (I-551, other ID) to the SSA and inquire.  Sometimes the SSN's aren't issued, despite having checked the box on the DS-260.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

18 hours ago, Hamdy ELgallad said:

Dears, 

Three weeks passed since I entered USA as an immigrant, but unfortunately till now I haven’t receive my social security number.

Can any valuable member  advice or share his personal experience about the time it takes till I recieve my social security number 

Given that my husband had checked off the box to have the Social Security card issued once he entered the US, his card arrived in 6 weeks and his green card in 2 months.  I think if you had checked the box for them to issue a social security number upon your arrival, you are still ok time wise. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, mam521 said:

Then take your information (I-551, other ID) to the SSA and inquire.  Sometimes the SSN's aren't issued, despite having checked the box on the DS-260.  

Can I open bank account or apply for driving license without SSN? could I walk in or there I should take an appointment?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Hamdy ELgallad said:

Can I open bank account or apply for driving license without SSN? could I walk in or there I should take an appointment?

Your I-551 serves as your proof of identity and proof of legal status until your physical greencard comes.  You should be able to take your passport with that I-551 into your local DMV (or DPS in my case) with proof of residency and apply for your driver's license.  Those state agencies can do what is called a SAVE verification which will check the USCIS database and verify your legal status.  

The bank might be a bit trickier, but, depending on the bank, you should be able to get a bank account.  The reason there is hesitation is because the banks do have obligation to report to the IRS and to do so, they need your SSN.  Additionally, it's challenging to build your credit rating without a file to report to.  A local credit union can probably help you out until you get a SSN.  At that point, you might choose to stay with the credit union or open an account with one of the larger banks.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
8 minutes ago, mam521 said:

Your I-551 serves as your proof of identity and proof of legal status until your physical greencard comes.  You should be able to take your passport with that I-551 into your local DMV (or DPS in my case) with proof of residency and apply for your driver's license.  Those state agencies can do what is called a SAVE verification which will check the USCIS database and verify your legal status.  

The bank might be a bit trickier, but, depending on the bank, you should be able to get a bank account.  The reason there is hesitation is because the banks do have obligation to report to the IRS and to do so, they need your SSN.  Additionally, it's challenging to build your credit rating without a file to report to.  A local credit union can probably help you out until you get a SSN.  At that point, you might choose to stay with the credit union or open an account with one of the larger banks.  

This information is quite helpful, thanks for the guidance and clarification.

Timeline
12 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Did you pay the fee for GC?

yes I did

I have other question, can I receive the green card before receiving SSN or the green card wont be issued till I receive the ssn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.