happyscrub

Only met once and interview is soon? Thoughts?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Madagascar
Timeline

There's not much I can find on the internet of reports of people having success or denials with only meeting once before the Embassy interview except for very high risk countries like Nigeria, Cambodia, Afghanistan, ect. Any thoughts or reports on that would be appreciated. Besides being poor, my fiancée's country should he considered low risk.

Not only is my fiancée country is very expensive to fly to, but my work has gotten complicated to where I'm unsure if I can travel there before interview (we are in the middle of NVC stage). This is why I'm asking the question.

I would not spend much time thinking about countries as a whole since it's not something you can control. Instead, practice with her, short truthful answers. Spend time more talking about each other so she knows and remembers what you do, where you live, your marital past, how you met etc etc

Edited by OldUser

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
56 minutes ago, happyscrub said:

Not only is my fiancée country is very expensive to fly to, but my work has gotten complicated to where I'm unsure if I can travel there before interview (we are in the middle of NVC stage). 

You met once and then filed, a red flag

Not meeting again before the interview, another red flag, K1 processing is not exactly quick.

I do not know if there are any other negative aspects.

You are rolling the dice but you obviously know that otherwise you would not have posted.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

You met once and then filed, a red flag

If it is, it's the most minor of one. Too much evidence of testimonies on here and all over the internet of this not being a problem. I'm only concerned about once before the interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

How long was your visit?

former post about high fraud countries this is what TBoneTX wrote 

While acknowledging Gary's true point, I believe that Diana's answer is the most accurate of several good replies here, si man.

Earlier in my process, I asked an immigration attorney (who had served as a CO himself in Yemen and someplace in the Caribbean) the question that the OP has. He said, "Any poor country."

Think about that.

And my attorney said "all African countries "

Timeline
14 minutes ago, happyscrub said:

If it is, it's the most minor of one. Too much evidence of testimonies on here and all over the internet of this not being a problem. I'm only concerned about once before the interview

News to me

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
11 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

How long was your visit?

former post about high fraud countries this is what TBoneTX wrote 

While acknowledging Gary's true point, I believe that Diana's answer is the most accurate of several good replies here, si man.

Earlier in my process, I asked an immigration attorney (who had served as a CO himself in Yemen and someplace in the Caribbean) the question that the OP has. He said, "Any poor country."

Think about that.

And my attorney said "all African countries "

Years ago a fairly well known Immigration Lawyer said there were 4 categories

Low

Medium

High

Lagos

I would think we are looking at Medium to High here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Years ago a fairly well known Immigration Lawyer said there were 4 categories

Low

Medium

High

Lagos

I would think we are looking at Medium to High here.

when an immigrant says "my family is poor" or "there are no jobs here"  automatically it should send up a red flag to a USC

as the signal is given "i want to get out of here "   that is why in poor countries CO's look at education and past work history 

I am going by my own experience with a K1  and what we all read daily on VJ.

OP

the best u can do to help is talk talk talk daily and let him know every little and big  thing about u,  ur family and ur life in the USA

Quality time together to prove a real relationship really helps and a 10 day or 2 week vacation to meet is often suspect

OP

you  have my prayers for the upcoming interview and for a good life together in the US

Timeline

I think the beneficiary is a she.

Everyone’s circumstances are different and I dare say unique, so there is no fool proof way to go about it. Recommendations what is better, etc, yes, but again everyone’s story is their own, and as long as you are ready to lay it out, explain it ( if necessary) you’ll be just fine. You met the minimum requirement for one meeting in two years. I wish you the best of luck and to succeed. 

23 hours ago, happyscrub said:

There's not much I can find on the internet of reports of people having success or denials with only meeting once before the Embassy interview except for very high risk countries like Nigeria, Cambodia, Afghanistan, ect. Any thoughts or reports on that would be appreciated. Besides being poor, my fiancée's country should he considered low risk.

Not only is my fiancée country is very expensive to fly to, but my work has gotten complicated to where I'm unsure if I can travel there before interview (we are in the middle of NVC stage). This is why I'm asking the question.

If the K1 is denied because they don’t believe the relationship is bonafide what is your plan? 
Will you fly to Madagascar to marry and then file I130 or will you end the relationship? 
If you were told the chance of denial is higher because you only visited once but there is a higher chance of the visa being issued if you are in country before/during the interview period what would your actions be? 
I’m not sure where Madagascar is when it comes to high/ medium/ low fraud… 
Immigration is extremely expensive. If you can swing some PTO to visit your partner I would definitely do so… but if you can’t I would prepare for the worst and get married and go the spousal visa route. But, if you go the spousal route you might have to consider 2-3 visits while visa is processing to indicate the relationship is serious… 

Timeline

30 minutes ago, happyscrub said:

How many times have you met your partner? 
The OP in the post hadn’t filed yet (April 2023), had only met their partner once and has not returned to VJ to give an update. So we don’t know if they were successful or not. 
Everyone else in the comments met their partner more than once before the K1 visa was issued after interview. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.