MaSC

getting a visa after GC abandonment

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

I was studying in the US in 2010,  with a F1 visa.... life changed and I met my Ex ( US citizen ), we got married, and he applied for my Green Card

Because we changed our plans, and to save money ( and because I was really stupid ), I quit school ( I believe that I was 4 months out of school ( on a F1 visa entry )before we actually sent the AOS papers )...... ( overstay??? )

The problem is : Few months after I got my 10-year green card , me and my Ex decided to get divorced. It did not make sense for me to live in the US alone, so I came back to my country ( Argentina ) .

To avoid problems with IRS, etc, I abandoned my GC via the oficial form (- form I-407 (??) )

I wanna visit the US next year. Is there any chance for me to get a Visa? I was reading DS-160 and there are questions regarding "overstaying" what I think I did.

Do you think its even worth trying or it is an automatically "NO"?

** I don't know if that changes anything but now Im  also a citizen of France and I have a France passport....but I don't wanna apply for ESTA for the same reason ( overstaying )

Edited by MaSC
typo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can always apply, I do not know if you will be approved or not.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

26 minutes ago, MaSC said:

Hello,

I was studying in the US in 2010,  with a F1 visa.... life changed and I met my Ex ( US citizen ), we got married, and he applied for my Green Card

Because we changed our plans, and to save money ( and because I was really stupid ), I quit school ( I believe that I was 4 months out of school ( on a F1 visa entry )before we actually sent the AOS papers )...... ( overstay??? )

The problem is : Few months after I got my 10-year green card , me and my Ex decided to get divorced. It did not make sense for me to live in the US alone, so I came back to my country ( Argentina ) .

To avoid problems with IRS, etc, I abandoned my GC via the oficial form (- form I-407 (??) )

I wanna visit the US next year. Is there any chance for me to get a Visa? I was reading DS-160 and there are questions regarding "overstaying" what I think I did.

Do you think its even worth trying or it is an automatically "NO"?

** I don't know if that changes anything but now Im  also a citizen of France and I have a France passport....but I don't wanna apply for ESTA for the same reason ( overstaying )

I honestly think that you have a good chance of getting the visa because formally abandoning the LPR status strongly signals against an immigration attempt. Of course, answer all the questions truthfully and explain.

03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

IMO they will balance the past and the present.

If you have strong ties to Argentina, you have funds to your trip, and you are applying with a genuine intent you have more chances but as you know the goal is to find reasons to see if you have intentions to stay here. Visa is a lottery.

My advice is: be honest. They already know eeeeverything about your past immigration journey, now they need to check your present. Focus on those things to increase your chances.

Good luck 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

This will be an interesting one to follow.  F1 with an overstay to AOS, then the I407, and now a B2 application.  I agree with @PaulaCJohnny, the consulate officer will have all that information, and will balance everything with your B2 application.  Make sure you are honest with the DS160 and any questions the CO may ask.

Good Luck!  And let us know how it goes.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

So our situation while probably not quite as "messy" is pretty similar and worked out for us -- so I think its worth applying. 

My wife (Chilean) back when she was 18 or so overstayed a few weeks in the US while visiting family -- because at the time didn't understand well the i-94 stamp (she thought she had 6 months with her B2 visa, and was only given 3 months at the time of entry). She applied for another B2 visa afterwards, was initially denied for the overstay...applied again a year later and was approved for 10 years. Many years later we got married, we went through the K-1 visa process, got her green card, lived in the US for a couple years, and then due to health problems of her dad we moved to Chile (been here 4 years). She also gave up her green card (form I-407) after we moved. 

When we wanted to visit the US with our family she was unable to use the ESTA (like you said its pretty much an automatic rejection if you have an overstay, and she also had been denied a visa at one-point). But she applied for a new B-2 visa, and was approved without many questions. Also one extra layer of complication we had was that she was applying for a B-2 visa during COVID, the Santiago office was closed to B-2 interviews....so we contacted other embassies in neighboring countries, and she eventually interviewed in the La Paz, Bolivia embassy, and like I said she was approved for her 10 year B-2. 

All this to say that she had a bit of a messy situation as well, but overall she could show a history of trying to do things the right way (previous GC holder, several trips to the US and back as a visitor, gave up her green card when she moved) even if she had made a mistake a long time ago -- which is similar to your case. She had I would say medium-strong ties to Chile (car, apartment rental, job), and she is married to a US citizen (which actually works against you for a B-2 visa). 

Good luck!

Edited by garebear397

Engaged: 2016-11-07

K-1 Visa Process
I-129F NOA1: 2016-12-05
I-129F NOA2: 2017-05-05
Interview Date: 2017-07-14 (Approved!)  

Married: 2017-08-08

AOS Process

I-485/I-131/I-765 NOA 1 : 2017-08-26

AOS Interview: 2017-12-08 (recommended for approval) 

Received Two Year Green Card: 2017-12-16

Moved back to Chile: 2019-09-01 

Abandoned Green Card: 2020-08-17 

IR-1 Visa Process

I-130 Filed Electronically and Online Reciept Notice: 2023-06-04 

NOA1 Recieved in Mail (with recieved date as 06-04-2023): 2023-06-10

56 minutes ago, garebear397 said:

So our situation while probably not quite as "messy" is pretty similar and worked out for us -- so I think its worth applying. 

My wife (Chilean) back when she was 18 or so overstayed a few weeks in the US while visiting family -- because at the time didn't understand well the i-94 stamp (she thought she had 6 months with her B2 visa, and was only given 3 months at the time of entry). She applied for another B2 visa afterwards, was initially denied for the overstay...applied again a year later and was approved for 10 years. Many years later we got married, we went through the K-1 visa process, got her green card, lived in the US for a couple years, and then due to health problems of her dad we moved to Chile (been here 4 years). She also gave up her green card (form I-407) after we moved. 

When we wanted to visit the US with our family she was unable to use the ESTA (like you said its pretty much an automatic rejection if you have an overstay, and she also had been denied a visa at one-point). But she applied for a new B-2 visa, and was approved without many questions. Also one extra layer of complication we had was that she was applying for a B-2 visa during COVID, the Santiago office was closed to B-2 interviews....so we contacted other embassies in neighboring countries, and she eventually interviewed in the La Paz, Bolivia embassy, and like I said she was approved for her 10 year B-2. 

All this to say that she had a bit of a messy situation as well, but overall she could show a history of trying to do things the right way (previous GC holder, several trips to the US and back as a visitor, gave up her green card when she moved) even if she had made a mistake a long time ago -- which is similar to your case. She had I would say medium-strong ties to Chile (car, apartment rental, job), and she is married to a US citizen (which actually works against you for a B-2 visa). 

Good luck!

thank you for telling your wife story, that gives me hope.

when she applied for the B2 visa she mentioned the "overstay"?

I have strong ties to my country, I also have a really good financial situation, etc. ( I don't think a person in my situation would normally have a visa "denied"  )

... but since I made a  mistake in the past, Im afraid that gonna hunt me down.

thank you!!

Filed: Timeline

Personally, I would apply for ESTA first. If it's approved, no need to worry about anything else.  If there was an overstay -- hard to tell with a student visa when someone is admitted for "Duration of Status" (D/S) -- it was overcome by the issuance of the Green Card. You might be approved more eaidly be approved for ESTA than a visa.

3 hours ago, MaSC said:

I have strong ties to my country, I also have a really good financial situation, etc. ( I don't think a person in my situation would normally have a visa "denied"  )

thank you!!

You are required to mention it (they know about it anyway)….

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline
3 hours ago, MaSC said:

thank you!!

Yes she mentioned it and it was like one of the first things they asked her. Pretty much every interview she has had with the consulate has asked her about it -- I am sure it pops right up when they look for her record. But everytime she has explained it, they don't ask more and it isn't made a big deal. 

1 hour ago, jan22 said:

Personally, I would apply for ESTA first. If it's approved, no need to worry about anything else.  If there was an overstay -- hard to tell with a student visa when someone is admitted for "Duration of Status" (D/S) -- it was overcome by the issuance of the Green Card. You might be approved more eaidly be approved for ESTA than a visa.

You can, its online and takes a couple mins. But there is a question about if you have ever overstayed a visa -- and it pretty much automatically rejects the ESTA if you say "yes". I don't think any actual human being looks at an ESTA aplication, its basically an automated system. With the idea that if you need any extra evaluation that requires a human you go through the B2 process. 

Edited by garebear397

Engaged: 2016-11-07

K-1 Visa Process
I-129F NOA1: 2016-12-05
I-129F NOA2: 2017-05-05
Interview Date: 2017-07-14 (Approved!)  

Married: 2017-08-08

AOS Process

I-485/I-131/I-765 NOA 1 : 2017-08-26

AOS Interview: 2017-12-08 (recommended for approval) 

Received Two Year Green Card: 2017-12-16

Moved back to Chile: 2019-09-01 

Abandoned Green Card: 2020-08-17 

IR-1 Visa Process

I-130 Filed Electronically and Online Reciept Notice: 2023-06-04 

NOA1 Recieved in Mail (with recieved date as 06-04-2023): 2023-06-10

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.