derrick and Ana

Stolen passport with Visa

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

We were recent victims of property theft. My Wife’s passport from Venezuela was stolen. Since there is no embassy or consulate in the US what are our options? We have pictures of the passport and visa but I’m not sure what good that will do for us. Thanks for any help you can provide for us. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Sorry for the bad news.

---

Thread is moved from Off Topic to the Mexico/Latin/South America regional forum, in hopes of country-specific advice.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Visa is single entry so that is not an issue.

I have seen Venezuelan passports discussed over the years but not recently. The last I heard people went through Mexico and it was not quick.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 hours ago, Pinkrlion said:

Since your wife’s passport was stolen she needs to get Lifelock or another identity theft monitoring program. 

Available in Venezuela?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

One instruction is to contact the embassy that processed the visa, though it doesn’t really say what happens there.  The only thing is if she has already arrived and her info is in the system, you may not need to provide a physical passport to adjust status at this point.  I didn’t go through that process so I may be wrong-but they already have it digitally and you have pictures of it.  The green card doesn’t depend on a physical passport.  From there, options don’t look super convenient -cross to Mexico by land and get a new passport at an embassy there as she can cross back with a green card alone (by land, not air).  Or wait three years and apply for citizenship and get a US passport.  That’s assuming contacting the embassy that did her visa won’t help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank you for the information. One of the main goals of reporting the lost/stolen visa and passport to the issuing embassy is to ensure no one else can use it for whatever reason. I emailed the embassy in Colombia but haven't received a response. Most of the information I am finding will allow us to use a copy of the passport and visa. luckily I took a picture of both of them once we received them but I do not have a picture of the entry stamp that was on her visa. If I can get her a military dependent ID card then this whole situation won't be as bad and she's fine with waiting to get her US passport and then traveling back to Venezuela to replace her other passport.  

Timeline
8 hours ago, derrick and Ana said:

Thank you for the information. One of the main goals of reporting the lost/stolen visa and passport to the issuing embassy is to ensure no one else can use it for whatever reason. I emailed the embassy in Colombia but haven't received a response. Most of the information I am finding will allow us to use a copy of the passport and visa. luckily I took a picture of both of them once we received them but I do not have a picture of the entry stamp that was on her visa. If I can get her a military dependent ID card then this whole situation won't be as bad and she's fine with waiting to get her US passport and then traveling back to Venezuela to replace her other passport.  

As mentioned a K1 is single entry and has been used.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
18 hours ago, derrick and Ana said:

I emailed the embassy in Colombia but haven't received a response

While you're waiting, consider contacting the Colombian consulate nearest you in the U.S.  They should have suggestions.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
On 1/2/2024 at 12:20 AM, derrick and Ana said:I took a picture of both of them once we received them but I do not have a picture of the entry stamp that was on her visa. If I can get her a military dependent ID card then this whole situation won't be as bad and she's fine with waiting to get her US passport and then traveling back to Venezuela to replace her other passport.  

I think the entry stamp can be worked around as they will use their own information and they have record of her arrival.  If it’s requested as a document in AOS, I would write a cover letter explaining it.  I don’t think they would hold everything up to make you provide information that they already have

Timeline
9 minutes ago, bakphx1 said:

I think the entry stamp can be worked around as they will use their own information and they have record of her arrival.  If it’s requested as a document in AOS, I would write a cover letter explaining it.  I don’t think they would hold everything up to make you provide information that they already have

I 94 can be obtained online 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.