Lm126

RENTING PROPERTY OUT IN THE UK

29 posts in this topic

I’m looking for some advice - I own a property in the UK. I ideally want to keep the property when I move to the US, but want to know what the best options are. Rent it out as a private landlord, rent it out as a UK based Ltd company, rent it out under a US LLC? I’m so lost, so any help is appreciated. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I see no need to rent it under a US LLC.  Personally, I would at least consider selling it before becoming a legal resident in the US.  Otherwise, you're going to have complicated US taxes.  

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

If you ell it to another entity would there be capital gains issues https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-property/work-out-your-gain

And of course:

The property tax rate for Stamp Duty Land Tax in England and Northern Ireland is between two and twelve percent for a residential property valued at £255,00 and over £1.5 million. 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

renting as a private landlord is scary when u r not there to do the upkeep or to see how well a tenant takes care of things 

This doesn’t scare me. I rented from an Australian couple once and never even met them, plus the property is on the same street where a family member lives and family have 5 rentals on that same street. 

21 minutes ago, Boiler said:

If you ell it to another entity would there be capital gains issues https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-property/work-out-your-gain

And of course:

The property tax rate for Stamp Duty Land Tax in England and Northern Ireland is between two and twelve percent for a residential property valued at £255,00 and over £1.5 million. 

I really do not want to sell it. As a lot of people now they invest in property as a way of ensuring a decent pension pot

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lm126 said:

I really do not want to sell it. As a lot of people now they invest in property as a way of ensuring a decent pension pot

That knocks out two of the three options.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

I see no need to rent it under a US LLC.  Personally, I would at least consider selling it before becoming a legal resident in the US.  Otherwise, you're going to have complicated US taxes.  

I really don’t want to sell it. I want to explore all other options first. wondering if I set up a Ltd company with a family member as director and have them handle it without the need to complicate US taxes. Do I only pay taxes on profit? If I don’t take dividends would this essentially cancel out the complication 

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

That knocks out two of the three options.

That only eliminates the selling part. Still no idea where I stand with renting. My mortgage is almost paid off so id have no issues setting up a LTd co and getting it under that. But I don’t want to be taxed through the nose for it. If anyone has any contacts for UK or US based advisors who deal with investment under £1m (the ones I found deal with huge amounts of money and obviously im on a lot smaller scale) I would greatly appreciate it. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Lm126 said:

I really don’t want to sell it. I want to explore all other options first. wondering if I set up a Ltd company with a family member as director and have them handle it without the need to complicate US taxes. Do I only pay taxes on profit? If I don’t take dividends would this essentially cancel out the complication 

Corporate Taxes should be disccused with an Accountant.

3 hours ago, Lm126 said:

I’m looking for some advice - I own a property in the UK. I ideally want to keep the property when I move to the US, but want to know what the best options are. Rent it out as a private landlord, rent it out as a UK based Ltd company, rent it out under a US LLC? I’m so lost, so any help is appreciated. 

This is not the forum to get the best advice.

You should chat to an accountant who is well versed in UK and US taxes to figure out the best way forward. 

Are you trying to save on taxes? Are you trying to figure out where to keep your savings?

We do not know your complete financial picture so cannot guess what you are trying to accomplish.

Passive income while living in the US; keeping the house because you plan to move back to the UK eventually... "security" because you are giving up so much to move to the US and you want to keep a financial tie to the UK in case things go south with your partner... 

You might find it better to use an agency as a go between- as generally they are well acquainted with landlords who live overseas- they will be able to give you some advice or point you in the right direction. 

If you are planning on being a private landlord you might still want to use an agency to help you figure out the financial side of things as your taxes in the UK might also become a little more complicated if you are living overseas... 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Accountants to search for in the U.S. would be called CPAs, Certified Public Accountants.

In addition, some attorneys focus on tax law, so perhaps consult some familiar with international tax law.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
5 hours ago, Lm126 said:

Any income from rentals worldwide will be taxed as income in the US, but as long as there is a tax treaty in place you get to deduct taxes paid in the UK from what you owe in the US. It gets more complicated though, since you'll be expected to show a depreciation plan and take depreciations accordingly, which will further impact how you calculate capital gains the day you sell it. Not taking depreciation is not an option since IRS will asses the depreciation recapture tax whether you actually took the depreciation or not.

In short - get professional advice... :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.