zonga85

Child citizenship retroactively challenged - rare situation. Guidance appreciated

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

https://www.shusterman.com/

https://mautinolaw.com/about/ There was a forum years ago I used to participate in and a Lawyer there who would mention people he respected in specific area, I think this was his maven for Citizenship issues.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

So, an update.

the consulate got back and approved the passport given the evidence.

at this point, I’m considering applying for n600 as secondary evidence of citizenship in order not to deal w this again in 5 years.

I can’t do n600k given the situation (i.e., will have a valid passport)

questions:

- any guidance overall? Anyone been in this situation before?

- ok to apply for n600 from outside of the us?

Edited by zonga85

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I just talked to a lawyer about the N-600 filing at being IN the US… The day of naturalization matters not the date of filing the N-600 for eligibility. But USCIS are not necessarily lawyers according to the lawyer.

28 minutes ago, R&OC said:

I just talked to a lawyer about the N-600 filing at being IN the US… The day of naturalization matters not the date of filing the N-600 for eligibility. But USCIS are not necessarily lawyers according to the lawyer.

That’s what my research is proving as well.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 1/28/2024 at 2:03 PM, zonga85 said:

That’s what my research is proving as well.

Just make sure you go over with your attorney all of the facts again to be double sure the child qualifies since you have had issues with the state department. USCIS if they feel the facts don't support citizenship can tell the state department to cancel their passport. 

My wife came to the US on an F1 visa about 10 years ago.

05/19/2007 Wedding

03/11/2008 Mailed AOS

03/13/3008 Forms Recieved in Chicago

03/19/2008 Checks Cashed

03/21/2008 NOA's received

04/07/2008 Biometrics Appointment in Cincinnati

05/06/2008 I-765 and I-131 Approved

06/06/2008 I-485 Interview in Louisville, KY

06/06/2008 I-485 Approved :)

2 hours ago, Paul Hanaki said:

Just make sure you go over with your attorney all of the facts again to be double sure the child qualifies since you have had issues with the state department. USCIS if they feel the facts don't support citizenship can tell the state department to cancel their passport. 

thank you. I’m in touch with 2 lawyers,

one of which is recommending n600, and the other one n600k.

clearly an edge case 🙂

I’m 100% sure about having qualified for citizenship. the consular officer took many weeks to research the case, look at the evidence and and set a record for the future. It wasn’t an easy decision.

Also, if I were to go through the n600k route today without any history, I have a rock solid case. What makes n600k challenging is the language around “do not … if ina 320 …”

Edited by zonga85

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
On 1/30/2024 at 5:30 PM, zonga85 said:

thank you. I’m in touch with 2 lawyers,

one of which is recommending n600, and the other one n600k.

clearly an edge case 🙂

I’m 100% sure about having qualified for citizenship. the consular officer took many weeks to research the case, look at the evidence and and set a record for the future. It wasn’t an easy decision.

Also, if I were to go through the n600k route today without any history, I have a rock solid case. What makes n600k challenging is the language around “do not … if ina 320 …”

Zonga, I am pretty sure you need to file N-600 because you already have a US passport for her. The new proposed N-600 forms will accommodate an international address field. Being „in“ the US is a pretty confusing phrase and hence, the new forms will accommodate this.

My children’s N-600 finally got approved but it took two years in California.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 4/13/2024 at 2:12 PM, R&OC said:

Zonga, I am pretty sure you need to file N-600 because you already have a US passport for her. The new proposed N-600 forms will accommodate an international address field. Being „in“ the US is a pretty confusing phrase and hence, the new forms will accommodate this.

My children’s N-600 finally got approved but it took two years in California.

That is good information as the N600 vs N600K can be confusing.  Equating the physical location of the child at the time of naturalizing makes more sense when deciding which form to use.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.