Olamary

I don't want to leave my children behind, please what can I do?

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I didn't know that I had to fill a separate I-130 for the kids while submitting mine( my spouse is a US citizen) So,the I-130 for the kids was submitted after my case had been moved to NVC. Now, I have got a date for interview. Please, what should I do, as I don't want to leave my kids behind? Below is the sammary information written on my case. IMG_20231222_230320.thumb.jpg.2f868467c8bf48766bda46b067f8cbc3.jpgIMG_20231222_230320.thumb.jpg.2f868467c8bf48766bda46b067f8cbc3.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Your immigrant visa will only be good for 6 months from the date it's issued, so you will need to use it or lose it and then start the whole process over again with USCIS with another I-130 for you.

One option, and what I recommend, is you can try to delay your visa interview until your kid's cases are at the same stage. Call the US consulate/embassy where your interview is scheduled, explain the situation and ask them if you can postpone scheduling your interview indefinitely, at least until your kid's cases pass the NVC, then schedule a joint interview for all of you.

Another option is that once you have your visa, have your spouse or some other family members stay with your kids while you come to the US, once you get your green card in the mail(can take up to two months) then you can return to your home country and finish out your children's immigration process with them.

I'm sorry that you're going through this experience, I can only imagine the stress it must be giving you. There just isn't really a good quick way to solve this dilemma 

Edited by Terdals

US citizen petitioning immigration for my wife(CR1) and children(CR2) from Brazil

November 25th, 2022 - Married in Portugal

January 5th, 2023 - I-130s sent to USCIS

January 5th, 2023 - NOA1s received from USCIS

December 4th, 2023 - I-130s Approved

December 12th, 2023 - NVC Welcome letters received, payment for NVC fees sent

December 15th, 2023 - NVC shows fees paid

December 16th, 2023 - I-864s, DS-260s, and all related documents sent

December 21th, 2023 - RFE from NVC received, new documentation sent

December 29th, 2023 - Documentarily Qualified emails received from NVC

February 5th, 2024 - Interview date received, case transferred from NVC to US Consulate in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Interview Scheduled on Marth 4th, 2024 - Result APPROVED

Passports returned with immigrant visas on March 7th, 2024

Immigrated to US on March 11th, 2024

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
37 minutes ago, Terdals said:

Another option is that once you have your visa, have your spouse or some other family members stay with your kids while you come to the US, once you get your green card in the mail(can take up to two months) then you can return to your home country and finish out your children's immigration process with them.

This is improper advice.  The OP cannot enter the US prior to the sponsor.  OP's spouse MUST travel to the US either before or along with the visa holder.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

7 hours ago, Crazy Cat said:

Have you already submitted a DS-260 for YOUR case?  Yes or No???

This is inaccurate.  Visa expiration is based on date of the medical exam...not visa issuance date.  It could expire even sooner than 6 months after the medical exam.

No, I haven't submitted. 

8 hours ago, Terdals said:

Your immigrant visa will only be good for 6 months from the date it's issued, so you will need to use it or lose it and then start the whole process over again with USCIS with another I-130 for you.

One option, and what I recommend, is you can try to delay your visa interview until your kid's cases are at the same stage. Call the US consulate/embassy where your interview is scheduled, explain the situation and ask them if you can postpone scheduling your interview indefinitely, at least until your kid's cases pass the NVC, then schedule a joint interview for all of you.

I'm sorry that you're going through this experience, I can only imagine the stress it must be giving you. There just isn't really a good quick way to solve this dilemma 

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
8 hours ago, Terdals said:

Much of the advice in your answer isn't correct. If you do not know how to correctly answer someone, please don't guess, as you can cause more harm than good.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Olamary said:

Any advice from you please? 

Your options

1. Your petitioner should  file I 130 immediately for each of the children. Slow down the submission of your NVC  documentation until their petitions are approved and sent to NVC. Request the NVC to link the cases and continue the processing together. Immigrate together 

2. your petitioner should file I130 immediately for each child.  Continue your processing through NVC and consulate interview without delaying it. Arrange for your children to stay with relatives in your home country for about 1 -2 months. Once you have your visa, enter the US.. Your stamped passport will be your  evidence of your LPR status. Immediately get your SSN, bank account etc as evidence of your residency and intent to domicile in the US.  Immediately file for a Reentry permit I131 for yourself. On the form, indicate that you want to pick up the issue permit at the US consulate in your home country  Wait until you have received notification of the receipt of your application and either have had on file biometrics applied or attended the required biometrics appointment. You can then leave the US and return to care for the children while their immigration process takes place.  It may take 6-12 Months for the permit to  be issued. You have 2 years from that date of issue to return to the US without being assessed as having abandoned your LPR status. Return yo the US using your reentry permit, accompanied by your children using their immigrant visas 

1 hour ago, Lil bear said:

Your options

1. Your petitioner should  file I 130 immediately for each of the children. Slow down the submission of your NVC  documentation until their petitions are approved and sent to NVC. Request the NVC to link the cases and continue the processing together. Immigrate together 

2. your petitioner should file I130 immediately for each child.  Continue your processing through NVC and consulate interview without delaying it. Arrange for your children to stay with relatives in your home country for about 1 -2 months. Once you have your visa, enter the US.. Your stamped passport will be your  evidence of your LPR status. Immediately get your SSN, bank account etc as evidence of your residency and intent to domicile in the US.  Immediately file for a Reentry permit I131 for yourself. On the form, indicate that you want to pick up the issue permit at the US consulate in your home country  Wait until you have received notification of the receipt of your application and either have had on file biometrics applied or attended the required biometrics appointment. You can then leave the US and return to care for the children while their immigration process takes place.  It may take 6-12 Months for the permit to  be issued. You have 2 years from that date of issue to return to the US without being assessed as having abandoned your LPR status. Return yo the US using your reentry permit, accompanied by your children using their immigrant visas 

What is I reschedule my interview appointment? Because I have been given an interview date already. Is that an option too? 

IMG_20231223_111509.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, Olamary said:

What is I reschedule my interview appointment? Because I have been given an interview date already. Is that an option too? 

IMG_20231223_111509.jpg

You can ask but it’s in the hands of the Consulate and may not get you as much time as you need… you may still find yourself running out of time to enter with an issued visa or being very delayed in interviewing  . I re read your post and see that the I 130 have already been filled for your children 

You can still  follow the rest of the info in option 2 .. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 hours ago, Olamary said:

No, I haven't submitted. 

Then, how can you already have an interview scheduled?  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
9 hours ago, Olamary said:

No, I haven't submitted. 

Thank you.

If you have not submitted your DS-260, how did you get an interview scheduled?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2023 at 1:11 PM, Crazy Cat said:

Then, how can you already have an interview scheduled?  

I'm sorry, on that my case page( check the picture) it's written "Complete and submit ds-260 form. I thought they want me to fill it again. That's why I said no. 

On 12/23/2023 at 5:05 PM, SteveInBostonI130 said:

If you have not submitted your DS-260, how did you get an interview scheduled?

I'm sorry, on that my case page( check the picture) it's written "Complete and submit ds-260 form. I thought they want me to fill it again. That's why I said no. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.