Senescence

Advanced Passenger Information help?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

I just recently got my IR1 visa approved and I'll be entering the US for the first time after the approval very soon. I booked my flight with Aer Lingus, however the API is offering me three options regarding passport  or resident status, namely, "US Passport Holder", "Landed Resident" or "Non-Us Resident". Which one do I pick here from the latter of the two? If I choose landed resident, I'm offered to input either an Alien Registration Card Number or a Permanent Resident Card number. I do have a registration number on the visa I've received in my passport but I'm uncertain if it's the same number the API is asking me or no. I was under the impression that I don't become a LPR until I clear entry into the US anyway. I'll be going thru Dublin using the US Pre-clearance FWIW. Anyone knows the correct way to proceed?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You are trying to check in online? Normally the system does not work for that.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the CR-1 Process forum to the "Moving to the US" forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I think we are talking about the same thing, you are currently a non US resident, you have an immigrant visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I think we are talking about the same thing, you are currently a non US resident, you have an immigrant visa.

Okay that's pretty much what I figured as well. Thank for the help.

Your IR1 visa contains your Alien#.   Landed Resident.  That will be your LPR/PRC# if what you see in your Registration Number is less than 9 chars, just add zeros.  example in image below 00000473 (8chars); in green card prints as 000-000-473
image.png.03d99fb0c464b3d1198ff1ed0ed4818f.png

1 hour ago, Senescence said:

I just recently got my IR1 visa approved and I'll be entering the US for the first time after the approval very soon. I booked my flight with Aer Lingus, however the API is offering me three options regarding passport  or resident status, namely, "US Passport Holder", "Landed Resident" or "Non-Us Resident". Which one do I pick here from the latter of the two? If I choose landed resident, I'm offered to input either an Alien Registration Card Number or a Permanent Resident Card number. I do have a registration number on the visa I've received in my passport but I'm uncertain if it's the same number the API is asking me or no. I was under the impression that I don't become a LPR until I clear entry into the US anyway. I'll be going thru Dublin using the US Pre-clearance FWIW. Anyone knows the correct way to proceed?

Timeline
23 minutes ago, hunny&me said:

Your IR1 visa contains your Alien#.   Landed Resident.  That will be your LPR/PRC# if what you see in your Registration Number is less than 9 chars, just add zeros.  example in image below 00000473 (8chars); in green card prints as 000-000-473
image.png.03d99fb0c464b3d1198ff1ed0ed4818f.png

So I should pick Landed Resident despite that I haven't entered the US yet since receiving my visa? I have the reg. number on my visa ofc

Just now, Senescence said:

So I should pick Landed Resident despite that I haven't entered the US yet since receiving my visa? I have the reg. number on my visa ofc

Yes, coz your entry visa's intention is to be admitted as Resident and processed as Resident.  Just a side note, make sure after immigration, check your passport that you are admitted as IR-1 endorsement.  There are few that missed the endorsement or admitted via another way (visa free, another visa) - if this happens, you may need to go back to CBP.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You've stated you're doing preclearance in Dublin.  As soon as you step foot into the US Customs area, you've technically landed on US soil.  

Make sure you get to the airport early so you can visit CBP and have your I-551 endorsed and activated and make sure you've already paid the $220 greencard fee.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
12 minutes ago, mam521 said:

You've stated you're doing preclearance in Dublin.  As soon as you step foot into the US Customs area, you've technically landed on US soil.  

Make sure you get to the airport early so you can visit CBP and have your I-551 endorsed and activated and make sure you've already paid the $220 greencard fee.  

Man I'm so confused now lmao. I even asked AerLingus and they said I should tick non-us resident since the nationality on the passport is what matters. Imma just contact the airport tomorrow and see what they say. I already paid the $220 for the card btw, only thing's left is to fly to the US.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
27 minutes ago, Senescence said:

Man I'm so confused now lmao. I even asked AerLingus and they said I should tick non-us resident since the nationality on the passport is what matters. Imma just contact the airport tomorrow and see what they say. I already paid the $220 for the card btw, only thing's left is to fly to the US.

This doesn't make any sense at all. If you follow this reasoning, all LPR (green card holders) should tick "non-U.S. resident" because all green card holders travel with their original country passport out and back into the U.S.

Most of the answers you have received here make sense. Plus, you have the chance to do Pre-Clearance, so you have CBP agents on-site.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
26 minutes ago, Senescence said:

When you go through security and preclear at US Customs, you're "landing" in the US.  Because you're activating your visa, you'll board the aircraft as a shiny, new greencard holder and walk off the aircraft in the US at your final landed destination.  

The whole preclearance thing can definitely create confusion.  It's nice not to have to stand in a line on this end, but it's really a case of robbing from Paul to pay Peter - you stand in a line in Dublin or you stand in a line in the US.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
17 minutes ago, VinnyH said:

This doesn't make any sense at all. If you follow this reasoning, all LPR (green card holders) should tick "non-U.S. resident" because all green card holders travel with their original country passport out and back into the U.S.

Most of the answers you have received here make sense. Plus, you have the chance to do Pre-Clearance, so you have CBP agents on-site.

Yeah I have a feeling the agent was just trying to get rid of me cuz they were super fast and initially didn't even respond to my question regarding the visa. I got a phone number for the pre-clearance unit so I'll phone them tomorrow but it seems picking the resident option is the most sensible. I just dont wanna mess this up lol

Edited by Senescence

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Senescence said:

I got a phone number for the pre-clearance unit

This is smartest -- ask the true authorities.  Relax until then.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.