Visitor User

How much did you pay your lawyer?

59 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
5 hours ago, kvito28 said:

1k. I hired this attorney for my I-751 as well. Only reason I opted for help with N400 was my prior divorce and a traffic ticket on record. I could have easily done it myself but chose that 1K was worth my peace of mind.

Attending the interview was an additional $500. This was optional.

Yes it’s really for peace of mind. You want to do what the lawyer wants you to do to give you the best chance at approval. Also, at the interview you have a backup if there is a misunderstanding between you and interviewer. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, discoverusa said:

I know someone with prior arrests who got quoted 5K from a lawyer just to take the case. This is in Fairfield County, CT. 

He didn't end up hiring a lawyer and got his Citizenship. We obtained all court and police records and truthfully answered all questions. 

Congrats. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
43 minutes ago, Visitor User said:

Yes it’s really for peace of mind. You want to do what the lawyer wants you to do to give you the best chance at approval. Also, at the interview you have a backup if there is a misunderstanding between you and interviewer. 

If you really want peace of mind I would think the more you pay the better.  

You know the saying "you get what you pay for".

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
57 minutes ago, Visitor User said:

Yes it’s really for peace of mind.

Who cares more about your case?  You...or the attorney's administrative clerk who is going to fill in your forms (after YOU do all the legwork)?  

Our attorney cost us a delay of 3 months because his office failed to submit REQUIRED documents to NVC during our CR-1 process.  

Thus, we did the I-751 process and N-400 process ourselves with the help of Visa Journey.  Most people don't realize just how easy an N-400 case is for most folks.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Neonred said:

If you really want peace of mind I would think the more you pay the better.  

You know the saying "you get what you pay for".

It depends on who your lawyer is.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Who cares more about your case?  You...or the attorney's administrative clerk who is going to fill in your forms (after YOU do all the legwork)?  

Our attorney cost us a delay of 3 months because his office failed to submit REQUIRED documents to NVC during our CR-1 process.  

I do but before it is submitted I get to see it usually before submission. My lawyer is awesome (best friend of my older brother). I get VIP treatment.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I used a lawyer in Houston for AOS. Cost me $2500 almost ten years ago and even though it was an easy case, using a lawyer was meant to be for my peace of mind. I supplied all the information on a portal and still had to correct mistakes on every form before the lawyer submitted the application. No peace of mind given, none taken. 

After my approval, I asked him about the N400…he replied “don’t waste your money. N400 is the simplest process in the whole immigration journey.”  He was right, did the application on line with no RFE’s etc. if you want a lawyer for your peace of mind or if you have a complicated case, sure then get a lawyer, it’s your money. I’m curious why you are asking since this is DIY site and your lawyer is “awesome”

USA via Scotland, South Africa, Rhodesia, Brazil, Qatar & India

2000. H1B…

2014. L1A…

2017. LPR…

2021. N400

6 hours ago, Visitor User said:

Sat in the interview process?

yes, he was there with me during the interview.

2/13/23 Mailed application to USCIS

2/15/23 USCIS Received Application 

2/25/23 USCIS Scheduled for bio appointment (online update)

3/15/23 Bio appointment 

3/15/23 Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

7/25/23 Interview was scheduled  

6 hours ago, Visitor User said:

Good deal. How many years of experience did this lawyer have? 

How much for your Green Card process?

If the lawyer is fairly new that’s a good rate for a simple case.

He is not new, had more than 20 years experience.

Hired him for removal procedure & 485 for $3000

For 751 $1500

N-400 $1000

My case was a bit complicate with removal procedure and DUI

Edited by ArizonaPHX

2/13/23 Mailed application to USCIS

2/15/23 USCIS Received Application 

2/25/23 USCIS Scheduled for bio appointment (online update)

3/15/23 Bio appointment 

3/15/23 Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS

7/25/23 Interview was scheduled  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 9/30/2023 at 4:43 PM, Visitor User said:

For those they chose the lawyer/attorney route for whatever reason. How much were your fees not counting the $725 for N-400 and Biometric?

I used a paralegal agency which specializes in Philippine K-1 and CR-1 cases, and literally does thousands of them.

They were priceless, invaluable, and I think saved me from getting denied, and prevented my case from delayed at the USCIS and embassy level for multiple different reasons due to their experience. They also saved me countless hours researching, and not getting caught up in a lot of misleading or incorrect info on the internet, and they greatly simplified what I would have submitted on my own.

They were $600 for the I-129F or CR-1, including unlimited assistance and instructions to the embassy interview.

For the AOS, they also will charge $600. That includes the EAP and AP.

They did such a professional job, in all facets of my complicate case. I had also consulted a lawyer, and he gave me some bad advice, and I followed what the agency said to do and had no issues.

Edited by W199

Timeline
7 hours ago, Old_Glory said:

I used a lawyer in Houston for AOS. Cost me $2500 almost ten years ago and even though it was an easy case, using a lawyer was meant to be for my peace of mind. I supplied all the information on a portal and still had to correct mistakes on every form before the lawyer submitted the application. No peace of mind given, none taken. 

After my approval, I asked him about the N400…he replied “don’t waste your money. N400 is the simplest process in the whole immigration journey.”  He was right, did the application on line with no RFE’s etc. if you want a lawyer for your peace of mind or if you have a complicated case, sure then get a lawyer, it’s your money. I’m curious why you are asking since this is DIY site and your lawyer is “awesome”

With lawyer you still have to work as a team and the interview appearance of lawyer was worth every penny because there was couple miss communication with the interviewer and my lawyer interrupted the conversation and had to explain to the interviewer about the documents we submitted. I am not sure if that employee was new but my lawyer has decades of experience and has done hundreds of interview in the same field office so he knows pretty much the entire staff and is well respected. I am in good hands. I was approved within hours for AOS. I know this is a DIY site but it still is well worth to show up here and gain info. It’s like working as a team. Me, all you awesome users of knowledge, my lawyer and his staff. 

Edited by Visitor User

Timeline
10 hours ago, Cathi said:

For peace of mind, I would never hire an attorney, I'd do it myself, Time after time after time we see people here in VJ asking for advice to fix their cases because the high paid lawyers they hired for "peace of mind" screwed up their cases royally. I'm not exaggerating. The lawyer isn't even the person who will fill out the paperwork, a clerk will. Having a lawyer guarantees nothing and getting "VIP" treatment doesn't mean that clerk will fill out the information correctly. I have been on this site for 11 years now, I've seen and heard it all, almost daily we have people come and say how much the regret ever hiring a so called "immigration" attorney, especially for a straightforward case. Is your brother's best friend an immigration attorney? I'm also curious why you would need a lawyer for "backup" at the interview in case there is a "misunderstanding between you and interviewer"? If you tell the truth there won't be any misunderstandings. Obviously you are free to do as you wish, but you seem so concerned about price and you think that somehow hiring a lawyer will help with your "slam dunk" case. If money is a concern and your case is so air tight, it's precisely why you don't need a lawyer.  

Listen, this is a DIY site, you aren't going to find many, if any, people who tell you to hire an attorney, unless you have a complicated case. In fact, my husband and I had many so called red flags in our case and we never used an attorney during the entire journey, up to and including naturalization. I found this site after our petition had been approved and it was at the NVC, I came here to ask questions when needed, and never once did anyone steer me wrong. Not only did we DIY, we never at any point even received an RFE, I had total control over our case from start to finish. That's what I call peace of mind.

I’ve had really good experience with my lawyer. The staff they hire may do the paperwork but the lawyer reviews it and I get to see it as well. 

Yes, he is an immigration attorney. Over 2 decades of experience in the same city and FO. 

This post was meant for general discussion. I think you might be analyzing a bit too much.

I am glad it worked for you by DIY.

5 hours ago, ArizonaPHX said:

yes, he was there with me during the interview.

Did he had to say anything there?

Timeline
5 hours ago, ArizonaPHX said:

He is not new, had more than 20 years experience.

Hired him for removal procedure & 485 for $3000

For 751 $1500

N-400 $1000

My case was a bit complicate with removal procedure and DUI

Ah I see. Yeah, you don’t want to take chances without a lawyer for removal procedure and DUI. Experience Lawyer is best route. Sure, it maybe expensive now but you also got to stay here now and as we know USA is the biggest land of opportunity so this is the place to make money.

Edited by Visitor User

Timeline
5 hours ago, W199 said:

I used a paralegal agency which specializes in Philippine K-1 and CR-1 cases, and literally does thousands of them.

They were priceless, invaluable, and I think saved me from getting denied, and prevented my case from delayed at the USCIS and embassy level for multiple different reasons due to their experience. They also saved me countless hours researching, and not getting caught up in a lot of misleading or incorrect info on the internet, and they greatly simplified what I would have submitted on my own.

They were $600 for the I-129F or CR-1, including unlimited assistance and instructions to the embassy interview.

For the AOS, they also will charge $600. That includes the EAP and AP.

They did such a professional job, in all facets of my complicate case. I had also consulted a lawyer, and he gave me some bad advice, and I followed what the agency said to do and had no issues.

Awesome. That price was really cheap. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.