PeterPenzov

Can I apply for a VISA while working abroad

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

I would like to ask you the following question: I work as a Software Engineer. I would like to apply for a US VISA in order to be hired fully remotely for a US based company. Is it possible to receive a VISA just to be able to work fully remote without moving to the USA permanently? 
   For sure I will need to make a short trip in order to apply for a bank account in the USA in order to receive payment funds. The general question is can I receive a US VISA without moving to the USA?

BR,
Peter

Drums.... You don't need a US visa to work for a US company remotely from a different country!

Opening a bank account in the US may require social security number (SSN) which you may not have.

I'm pretty sure a US based company can pay you to a bank account in your country (if it's not sanctioned etc).

Edited by OldUser

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline
31 minutes ago, PeterPenzov said:

Ok but into jobs descriptions on LinkedIn for example I see VISA required or only W2. Looks like it's mandatory to have a legal permission to be in USA in order to work.

What that means is that you have to have a green card or have a work visa.  Tourist visa is not eligible for work 

40 minutes ago, PeterPenzov said:

Ok but into jobs descriptions on LinkedIn for example I see VISA required or only W2. Looks like it's mandatory to have a legal permission to be in USA in order to work.

Well, this usually applies for jobs while you live in the US working remotely or go to office. It doesn't apply to a foreign person living overseas.

Do companies hiring even know you're based outside of the US?

"Remote in the US" and "Remote outside of the US" are different things. First requires visa and work authorization, second doesn't

Edited by OldUser

57 minutes ago, PeterPenzov said:

Some job descriptions are just copy / paste by lazy recruiters. Make sure they know you're overseas and will work from there. Some companies may not support this (because it requires effort from their end).

5 hours ago, PeterPenzov said:

That’s not at all what you said in the original post.

7 hours ago, OldUser said:

Drums.... You don't need a US visa to work for a US company remotely from a different country!

Opening a bank account in the US may require social security number (SSN) which you may not have.

I'm pretty sure a US based company can pay you to a bank account in your country (if it's not sanctioned etc).

You can use W-8BEN form for those who don't qualify for SSN to add passport number to bank account. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

u do not need US work visa to work abroad for a US company

the US company would need to follow the rules

the company needs to set up a legal entity to do business in the country 

Yes, you can hire a foreign employee, but the process is not as straightforward as putting them on your payroll and cutting a check each month. While some companies opt to set up a legal entity in a different country to hire foreign employees, entity establishment is costly and time-consuming. Fortunately, there are other options to pursue employment without establishment.

0R

hire out thru subcontracting companies 

Rather than setting up a legal entity, companies can engage contractors or partner with an employer of record (EOR) to hire employees and avoid the risk of noncompliance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~MOved to What Visa DO I Need, from WOrking and Traveling- as the OP does not have any immigration process started.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.