RambaCat

What difficulties should I expect starting a new job with a pending I-751?

5 posts in this topic

Never thought I would be making one of these! But this is one side of things I haven't really looked into.

Just received advanced notice from my boss (off the record) that the people above him are thinking of making me redundant! Yay! (Apparently taking the initiative and asking for more work to do was the wrong move; even though everyone else is overworked they're taking the opportunity to let me go - stellar logic right there.) Gripes aside...I actually have no idea where this leaves me. Redundancy might not be for a few weeks, no one has officially spoken to me so I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row and figure out as much as I can in advance. And hope maybe I'll get lucky and Potomac will get a move on and approve me before I need to really worry about any of it.

Which leads me to the question; what should I expect while trying to get a new job with an expired green card? I feel like the answer should be pretty straight forward - that with an expired green card and a valid extension letter everything should be pretty smooth sailing, but after getting bad news everything feels a bit intimidating so I suppose I'm looking for someone else to confirm that!

ROC Timeline:

Date format is MM/DD/YY

05/16/19 - Green Card Issue Date

03/10/21 - Sent ROC paperwork to Phoenix, AZ | USPS 2-Day Shipping

04/07/21 - NOA1 Text Messages Received

~~ Topic moved from Removal of Conditions on Residency forum to Finding a work in America forum as that’s where I-9 questions are discussed ~~

I agree with @OldUser. Unrestricted SS card and DL is the most hassle free way. 

21 minutes ago, OldUser said:

I am sorry to hear about your job situation.

Please ensure to get your unrestricted Social Security card and drivers license / state ID. You can get the restrictions removed by filing form SS-5 with SSA. Within few weeks, you should receive a card in the mail without wording such as "Valid for work only with DHS authorization".

With these two docs you'll have easier path to I-9 verification. I highly recommended showing those documents over GC + extension letter.

Thank you! I was worried I was asking a stupid question, but now I'm glad I asked because I didn't know that ssn and driver's license would help 🤣

I'm actually pretty sure my social security card is already unrestricted because they sent it to me once my Adjustment of status was approved four years ago, and I don't recall there being anything about dhs authorisation on there (I will check though; just need my husband to open the safe.)

ROC Timeline:

Date format is MM/DD/YY

05/16/19 - Green Card Issue Date

03/10/21 - Sent ROC paperwork to Phoenix, AZ | USPS 2-Day Shipping

04/07/21 - NOA1 Text Messages Received

6 minutes ago, RambaCat said:

Thank you! I was worried I was asking a stupid question, but now I'm glad I asked because I didn't know that ssn and driver's license would help 🤣

It eliminates a lot of confusion by many HR people who start thinking you don't have a status because GC is expired. Also, this solves issue with HR constantly asking for updates on your immigration status and asking for new GC close to extension letter expiration etc.

And if they start asking about seeing GC, politely decline. List B+C documents should be enough and employers don't get to tell you what to show, you have a choice by law.

Edited by OldUser

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.