aperson

Decision cannot be made because I have to come back for oath??

15 posts in this topic

Hi friends,

wanted to get your thoughts on the outcome of my interview yesterday. Here’s a brief summary:

arrived just before the appointment time but waited about 45 minutes to be called as my officer was behind on schedule.

Passed the civics and English tests.

she asked about violations of law, I asked if a small car accident counts. She said that doesn’t matter.

Then she asked about my previous marriage date, divorce date. ( I’m 5 year rule, divorced 8 months after I751 approval. Divorce took 2 months) she was surprised my divorce was this quick and asked me again to make sure we didn’t initiate divorce in the previous year. I said no it only took two months to finalize after the initiation of divorce. She also said that she doesn’t want to be intrusive but did ask why we divorced. I said we grew apart and the pandemic put a strain on the relationship. She said ok that’s sufficient. During this time she was checking on her computer a lot, she also had my whole A file, was looking at my I 751, and she typed a lot on the computer.

then she moved on to ask some other yes/no questions, and asked me to sign on iPad as well as on a piece of paper. 

Lastly she gave me the interview results: she checked passed the test, and decision cannot be made.

she said the reason she checked that is because I have to come back for my oath. She reminded me I have to bring oath letter and green card to the ceremony. And she said it twice. She also said she doesn’t need anything else from me.

Then she was clicking a lot on her computer and said: I’m behind on schedule, my next interviewee is already here but I just want to finish your case. And she clicked more. After that she walked me out of their office. 

This whole thing took about 20 minutes. My lawyer wasn’t there but he thinks the whole thing went as expected. And there’s nothing wrong with my divorce timeline. 

but I’m just confused, and perhaps bummed too that she said decision cannot be made because I have to come back for the ceremony??? Like couldn’t she just checked the “congratulations” box? 

I guess I was hoping to get approved on the spot and at least placed in line for oath.

but do y’all think?

Edited by aperson

N400 Timeline, 5 year rule

FO: Washington DC (Fairfax, VA)

2/9/23 Sent application by Mail

2/13/23 USCIS Received

2/16/23 USCIS NOA1 date and sent the mail

2/16/23 USCIS NOA2 and sent mail with online access code

2/18/23 USCIS Scheduled for bio appointment and sent letter

2/24/23 Received NOA1 and NOA2 in the mail

2/25/23 Received Bio appointment letter in the mail

3/9/23  Bio Appointment

3/9/23 Online Update: Case is actively reviewed by USCIS

7/20/23 Case placed in queue for an interview to be scheduled

7/26/23 Interview Scheduled

9/1/23 Interview, decision cannot be made

9/7/23 Recommended for approval; Oath ceremony will be scheduled

9/8/23 Oath ceremony scheduled

9/22/23 Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
12 minutes ago, aperson said:

Hi friends,

wanted to get your thoughts on the outcome of my interview yesterday. Here’s a brief summary:

arrived just before the appointment time but waited about 45 minutes to be called as my officer was behind on schedule.

Passed the civics and English tests.

she asked about violations of law, I asked if a small car accident counts. She said that doesn’t matter.

Then she asked about my previous marriage date, divorce date. ( I’m 5 year rule, divorced 8 months after I751 approval. Divorce took 2 months) she was surprised my divorce was this quick and asked me again to make sure we didn’t initiate divorce in the previous year. I said no it only took two months to finalize after the initiation of divorce. She also said that she doesn’t want to be intrusive but did ask why we divorced. I said we grew apart and the pandemic put a strain on the relationship. She said ok that’s sufficient. During this time she was checking on her computer a lot, she also had my whole A file, was looking at my I 751, and she typed a lot on the computer.

then she moved on to ask some other yes/no questions, and asked me to sign on iPad as well as on a piece of paper. 

Lastly she gave me the interview results: she checked passed the test, and decision cannot be made.

she said the reason she checked that is because I have to come back for my oath. She reminded me I have to bring oath letter and green card to the ceremony. And she said it twice. She also said she doesn’t need anything else from me.

Then she was clicking a lot on her computer and said: I’m behind on schedule, my next interviewee is already here but I just want to finish your case. And she clicked more. After that she walked me out of their office. 

This whole thing took about 20 minutes. My lawyer wasn’t there but he thinks the whole thing went as expected. And there’s nothing wrong with my divorce timeline. 

but I’m just confused, and perhaps bummed too that she said decision cannot be made because I have to come back for the ceremony??? Like couldn’t she just checked the “congratulations” box? 

I guess I was hoping to get approved on the spot and at least placed in line for oath.

but do y’all think?

You raised a few points which somehow answer the question to your worry. Decision was not reached because she wants to do further background check with regards to your marriage. Don’t be surprised if they reach out to your ex spouse. She mentioned to make sure you did not initiate divorce before your i751 etc. Just hang tight and wait to hear from them.

Just now, mniceguy16 said:

You raised a few points which somehow answer the question to your worry. Decision was not reached because she wants to do further background check with regards to your marriage. Don’t be surprised if they reach out to your ex spouse. She mentioned to make sure you did not initiate divorce before your i751 etc. Just hang tight and wait to hear from them.

Ugh what? USCIS would reach out to my ex? What if he doesn’t have nice things to say about me?

2/13/23 USCIS Received

3/9/23  Bio Appointment

9/22/23 Oath Ceremony

23 minutes ago, aperson said:

Ugh what? USCIS would reach out to my ex? What if he doesn’t have nice things to say about me?

Pretty obvious:   you removed conditions on a marriage- based green card, and then divorced immediately.   Of course they have questions about that!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

41 minutes ago, aperson said:

That is the reason she said a decision cannot be made at this time.  She wants to look over the paperwork because she was in a rush.  I wouldn't worry.  Just watch the USCIS status. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

That is the reason she said a decision cannot be made at this time.  She wants to look over the paperwork because she was in a rush.  I wouldn't worry.  Just watch the USCIS status. 

Got it, thanks!

2/13/23 USCIS Received

3/9/23  Bio Appointment

9/22/23 Oath Ceremony

12 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

Pretty obvious:   you removed conditions on a marriage- based green card, and then divorced immediately.   Of course they have questions about that!

I mean not immediately but ok I get your point

2/13/23 USCIS Received

3/9/23  Bio Appointment

9/22/23 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Most IOs are not authorized to approve/deny on their own & need their supervisor to finalize the decision. Sounds like a routine interview.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Much ado about nothing in my opinion, most likely she just wants to get her supervisors approval.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Update: Account just updated to “oath ceremony will be scheduled.”

2/13/23 USCIS Received

3/9/23  Bio Appointment

9/22/23 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, aperson said:

Update: Account just updated to “oath ceremony will be scheduled.”

Congratulations!!!!   I guess the officer was just busy that day.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Just now, Crazy Cat said:

Congratulations!!!!   I guess the officer was just busy that day.....

Thank you!!

2/13/23 USCIS Received

3/9/23  Bio Appointment

9/22/23 Oath Ceremony

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 4:41 PM, mniceguy16 said:

Let's just not create speculation with things that you aren't sure if this is certainly going to happen or may happen. In regards of contacting EXs, USCIS don't take that route. Of course an Ex would definitely deliver negative stuff about his or her previous spouse. to check the exact date of divorce filing, they can contact a court. Why would USCIS needs to contact EX, it doesn't make sense at all.

On 9/7/2023 at 1:24 PM, aperson said:

Thank you!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!. BTW i am september filers and was sniffing around in other months and saw your post. I hope your Ex never contacted you that USCIS contact him lol. kidding!!!! get the passport asap and get over with.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.