CraigP

I-407 help?

8 posts in this topic

I have been living in the USA for 9 years as a permanent resident but plan to move back home to Australia on December 4th this year. I have been told by my financial advisor that I need to give up my U.S residency to be able to place my money into Australian superannuation.

What I need to know is if I send in a form I-407 now and it is processed in 60 days as they say, am I still legal to stay in the USA for the last month before I travel home? I called USCIS and they could not tell me what happens.

thanks.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I am not an attorney or a financial advisor.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-407instr.pdf

> Include all Permanent Resident Cards, reentry permits, and/ or refugee travel documents in your possession when submitting your Form I-407.

If you give them your PR card, you won't have anything on you to prove your status here in the United States.  That seems like a Bad Idea.  You do that, something happens before you leave, and you have no easy way to prove you're here legally.  You might very well be legal, but why take a chance?

> Form I-407 is used by lawful permanent residents who are outside the United States or at a Port of Entry who want to abandon their LPR status.

That suggests you wouldn't file it while still here in the United States.  As an alternative:

You may also submit Form I-407 to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer at a U.S. port of entry.

I have no idea what the practicality is of handing it to them on the way out of the country.  (The stories I hear on this board are from people who are trying to enter the U.S. with an out-of-status PR card.)

I'd argue that if you submitted the form, your PR card, and anything else "in your possession" as soon as practical *after* you left the United States, you are legal for whatever reasons you need to be.  I might try the port of "entry" that you're departing from just because they'd know what an I-407 is and what to do with it.

Keep copies of everything just in case.  Stuff gets lost.

Regards,

Vicky's Mom

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
24 minutes ago, CraigP said:

What I need to know is if I send in a form I-407 now and it is processed in 60 days as they say, am I still legal to stay in the USA for the last month before I travel home?

No, once I-407 is received by USCIS, you are no longer an LPR, and if present in the U.S., your  presence is unauthorized. In the future that  could  cost you an opportunity at ESTA and a B visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Personally I would send it in when you land back down under.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Move back first. Then file I-407.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.