lawxxx

Mental Health Diagnosis Medical Exam

20 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. 

i have my medical exam in 3 weeks and I have a few concerns. So I was diagnosed with BPD and I had some self harm in the past (years ago). I went to therapy though, which was pretty successful and my therapist wrote me a note for my medical saying that I'm not a threat to myself or other. Do you guys think this might cause issues during my medical? I'm really worried about this low 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think this post sums up inadmissibility categories. If you have Doctor's note, I would think you should be fine. No point to agonise about it now, just have a good explanation ready for if/when you are asked about it. Good luck! 

45 minutes ago, lawxxx said:

Hello everyone. 

i have my medical exam in 3 weeks and I have a few concerns. So I was diagnosed with BPD and I had some self harm in the past (years ago). I went to therapy though, which was pretty successful and my therapist wrote me a note for my medical saying that I'm not a threat to myself or other. Do you guys think this might cause issues during my medical? I'm really worried about this low 

Which country are you interviewing out of? 
I know the UK can be a little strict but other countries are a little more forgiving with regard mental illness issues. 

Edited by Redro

1 hour ago, lawxxx said:

Hello everyone. 

Can you please fill out your timeline?

What country are you doing the medical in?  I am assuming it is for a K1, but can you please confirm?

These two factors can influence the best advice.

In a general sense, if you have a doctor's note, and you have proof of treatment, etc., that would be a good base to start and it won't result in an automatic inadmissibility or anything like that.  If it comes up in the medical, be truthful, they might refer you to go to a psychiatrist/psychologist as referred by the doctor - it will depend on how the USCIS approved doctor feels about it as well.

As others have said, depending on your country and the embassy, it can shift how much and what you need.

Our personal story:

As we were applying for our K1 visa in Argentina, during the medical exam, the doctor noticed very old self-harm marks on my now husband.  They were old (from like almost a decade prior).  The USCIS approved doctor referred him to a psychiatrist/psychologist that was also USCIS approved before the doctor gave the full approval for the medical.  He went to the appointment.  Then, he was given a sealed letter he had to take back to the doctor.  No issues and he was approved.  Since he hadn't had official ongoing treatment, the doctor recommended it in the US, which he did, but they had enough proof to know he was not a danger to himself or others.  However, the U.S. embassy in Argentina is not as difficult as other countries.  Hence, why it will depend on your originating country as well.

Edited by Fe.Ta
NA

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

Just now, lawxxx said:

germany 

The letter from your doctor should be sufficient. I will see if I can find some reviews of members out of Germany and their mental health issues... will post it later today! 

@Redro Didn't dive deep and this post is somewhat old.

But, within the original post, someone from Germany appears to have had a K1 visa medical approved with self-harm as long as they had official letters and records, which the OP seems to have.  Additionally, at worse case scenario, they might be recommended to a new pysch doctor and just be approved.

Unfortunately, the person that commented has not logged in since 2020.  But, @designguy has posted on other threats about the subject.  Could you please confirm?

Edited by Fe.Ta
NA

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, Redro said:

Which country are you interviewing out of? 
I know the UK can be a little strict but other countries are a little more forgiving with regard mental illness issues. 

I thought the UK was pretty lenient, now self harm does seem a common issue and the OP should be able to find plenty of others in the UK forum with a similar situation.  Not sure it would be an issue in Germany.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I thought the UK was pretty lenient, now self harm does seem a common issue and the OP should be able to find plenty of others in the UK forum with a similar situation.  Not sure it would be an issue in Germany.

I thought they were fairly strict in requesting certain health records… no?  
maybe I’m conflating lots of experiences out of London with more issues? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It seems much more common, for whatever reason London seems to have the most cases, could be my observation bias?

If they have all the paperwork it does not seem an issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, Fe.Ta said:

Can you please fill out your timeline?

What country are you doing the medical in?  I am assuming it is for a K1, but can you please confirm?

These two factors can influence the best advice.

In a general sense, if you have a doctor's note, and you have proof of treatment, etc., that would be a good base to start and it won't result in an automatic inadmissibility or anything like that.  If it comes up in the medical, be truthful, they might refer you to go to a psychiatrist/psychologist as referred by the doctor - it will depend on how the USCIS approved doctor feels about it as well.

As others have said, depending on your country and the embassy, it can shift how much and what you need.

Our personal story:

As we were applying for our K1 visa in Argentina, during the medical exam, the doctor noticed very old self-harm marks on my now husband.  They were old (from like almost a decade prior).  The USCIS approved doctor referred him to a psychiatrist/psychologist that was also USCIS approved before the doctor gave the full approval for the medical.  He went to the appointment.  Then, he was given a sealed letter he had to take back to the doctor.  No issues and he was approved.  Since he hadn't had official ongoing treatment, the doctor recommended it in the US, which he did, but they had enough proof to know he was not a danger to himself or others.  However, the U.S. embassy in Argentina is not as difficult as other countries.  Hence, why it will depend on your originating country as well.

Germany and yes K1

2 hours ago, Redro said:

The letter from your doctor should be sufficient. I will see if I can find some reviews of members out of Germany and their mental health issues... will post it later today! 

Thank you!!! 

Hello. 

If I would decide not to disclose the fact that I've been to therapy before, is there any way they could find out about it? I mean every doctor has confidentiality, so they can't just see which doctors I have visited in the past right? 

my visa is K1 and my medical is going to be in Germany 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

U must disclose this at medical exam

U  need to have the documents showing the diagnosis and treatment plan and that u follow it

How would they find out?

they do and not disclosing this info is material misrepresentation 

no one here will advise u to keep silent on any issue / honesty with immigration is the key

and therapy does not have to be a reason to deny

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
22 hours ago, lawxxx said:

Hello. 

If I would decide not to disclose the fact that I've been to therapy before, is there any way they could find out about it? I mean every doctor has confidentiality, so they can't just see which doctors I have visited in the past right? 

Everyone here must advise you to be completely truthful on any and all immigration related matters. I think your worry is unwarranted.   Good luck. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

3 hours ago, lawxxx said:

Hello. 

I understand you are nervous and concerned.  However, misrepresentation is even worse during immigration journey.

It appears that you do have your record and personal file proving that not only did you get treatment, but a professional is certifying you are not a danger to yourself and others.  As I mentioned in the other post, this should be sufficient to get the approval and it will not affect your immigration journey any further.  From comments I have seen from other users from Germany in other threads, the letter and record is enough for the embassy there.  Furthermore, the USCIS approved doctor might refer you or you can let them know you are willing to get a new certification from a psychiatrist/psychologist and then they should approve you after that.  On the other hand, you could be proactive and just get a newer, more recent certification prior to the medical so you can take that with the old one and your record, which you can present to the doctor.  These will just increase your chances of the doctor doing your medical without any further issues.

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.