Arctic Fox

Travel with GC and OG Passport

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello! 

We are planning a vacation to Mexico in December of this year. I have my permanent resident card and my Canadian passport, however my Canadian passport has my maiden name and not my new last name. Does anyone know if this would be a problem? 

I would definitely bring along a marriage certificate, but are there any other documents I should bring? Would it be best to book the flight using the Canadian passport and use that to go through customs? Thank you! 

Always book in passport name 

4 minutes ago, Arctic Fox said:

would definitely bring along a marriage certificate, but are there any other documents I should bring?

Not really, the marriage certificate is the evidence of legal name change 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You should book you tickets in the name on the passport.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
37 minutes ago, HaroKitty said:

the legal travel document is passport and not the greencard

For an LPR traveling to the US, the green card is the sole travel document. CBP and TSA allows LPRs to book air tickets in their passport names. That plus the fact airport security and immigration exit controls outside the U.S.  want names on boarding passes to match that on passports, is why we recommend booking in the name on the passport.

6 hours ago, Arctic Fox said:

Would it be best to book the flight using the Canadian passport and use that to go through customs?

Present your GC and only your GC to U.S. CBP.  If the CBP officer demands a passport too, while that is illegal, shrug it off, and go with it.

3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

For an LPR traveling to the US, the green card is the sole travel document. CBP and TSA allows LPRs to book air tickets in their passport names. That plus the fact airport security and immigration exit controls outside the U.S.  want names on boarding passes to match that on passports, is why we recommend booking in the name on the passport.

i understand, just wanted to let OP know to stick with name on passport. i realized my wording is off. some airlines outside USA sometimes give hard time when the person booked the ticket with married name on GC that doesnt match the maiden name on passport. i know some of my friend has this issue and was forced to pay "changing name fee" otherwise they cant fly back to the US. 

and i agree, the moment that person landed in the USA from wherever they coming for, showing GC is more than enough. i did all the time and they didnt bother to ask for my passport.  but i cant stretch you how many times i told this ( just show ur GC only and not passport)  to many many LPR friends and they always said " im afraid" or "scared" ( dont know what they scared of really). 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.