Adam2658

Removing conditions divorce waiver checklist

41 posts in this topic

Hi, 

My CPR is set to expire in August. My future ex wife and I are still in divorce proceedings, and not really sure when this process will end. I will be filing without the final divorce decree and most likely will receive an RFE where I would have to submit it along with other evidence. 

For now, this is what I have, and I just want to make sure I don’t have anything missing:

- USCIS filing fee

- I751 form

- Letter to USCIS explaining current situation with divorce and that I’m still waiting for it to be finalized 

- proof that we are in divorce proceedings 

- proof of bonafide marriage (tax returns, cohabitation, joint health insurance, joint bank account)

Is there anything else? I’ll be adding a cover letter and making it look neat. Thanks 

-Adam

Edited by Adam2658

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You're still married. File as MFJ..

When you actually have the divorce decree, send it to USCIS requesting to update your I-751. 

Do not file with a "promissory divorce" which may or may not happen and then you're stuck. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You didn't understand me.

What happens if divorce drags on and you get RFE that you can't furnish?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

5 hours ago, Timona said:

You didn't understand me.

What happens if divorce drags on and you get RFE that you can't furnish?

While this is true, how can OP get US spouse signature to go on I-751? I'm sure there's a lot of tension in relationship. Even if obtained, how legitimate is it, with divorce on the horizon?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
12 hours ago, Adam2658 said:

For now, this is what I have, and I just want to make sure I don’t have anything missing:

- USCIS filing fee

- I751 form

- Letter to USCIS explaining current situation with divorce and that I’m still waiting for it to be finalized 

- proof that we are in divorce proceedings 

- proof of bonafide marriage (tax returns, cohabitation, joint health insurance, joint bank account)

Is there anything else? I’ll be adding a cover letter and making it look neat. Thanks

Photocopy of front and back of green card is also required with an I-751.  Also G-1145 if you want email notification that the package was received by USCIS.

On 6/12/2023 at 7:32 PM, Timona said:

You're still married. File as MFJ..

When you actually have the divorce decree, send it to USCIS requesting to update your I-751. 

Do not file with a "promissory divorce" which may or may not happen and then you're stuck. 

On 6/12/2023 at 7:40 PM, Adam2658 said:

The divorce will 99.99% happen. 

I filed in September 2020 and my divorce was finalized in October 2020 (Had decree in hand same month). They didn't actually ask for my decree till mid 2021, so honestly I suggest filing with a waiver and just mailing them the decree once you get an RFE. (From my own personal experience). 

Looking back at my original paperwork I submitted, on page 1 I said married under marital status (which was true at the time). and then under marital status part 13, I put N/A because the divorce was still being processed. Apart from that, I just filed for a divorce waiver on the subsequent pages. 

Edited by HarryWL

• 1 month later...

Quick update: I went with a lawyer to be on the safe side. I got a rejection notice and that my fees are being returned to me. The reason being:

“The application has not been fully complete. One or more of the following field(s) were not completed: Basis for Petition”.

The divorce is still being processed so I did not submit my application with the divorce decree. My CPR expired in Aug 12th.

What does this rejection mean and what is the best course of action to move forward with my application now?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Adam2658 said:

The application has not been fully complete. One or more of the following field(s) were not completed: Basis for Petition”.

The divorce is still being processed

How long will it take?

so I did not submit my application with the divorce decree. My CPR expired in Aug 12th.

August 12, 2022, or August 12, 2023?

What does this rejection mean

Possibly that your lawyer is not competent.

On I-751, part 3 “basis for petition” there are several check boxes. What boxes were checked?

and what is the best course of action to move forward with my application now?

Fill out I-751 correctly, checking the box: 

1.d. [ My marriage was entered in good faith, but the marriage was terminated through divorce or annulment

And then submitting again

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Quick update: I went with a lawyer to be on the safe side. I got a rejection notice and that my fees are being returned to me. The reason being:

“The application has not been fully complete. One or more of the following field(s) were not completed: Basis for Petition”.

The divorce is still being processed so I did not submit my application with the divorce decree. My CPR expired in Aug 12th.

What does this rejection mean and what is the best course of action to move forward with my application now?

It means you need to resubmit a properly completed I-751 package.  Do you have the final divorce decree?  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

15 minutes ago, Mike E said:

How long will it take?

No clue. My ex wife is not communicating with me and I'm not sure whether she has received the divorce certificate yet. I was told it could take up to 3 months for us to receive it.

August 12, 2022, or August 12, 2023?

2023*. sorry

Fill out I-751 correctly, checking the box: 

1.d. [ My marriage was entered in good faith, but the marriage was terminated through divorce or annulment

And then submitting again

We did check that box. So what could it have been? That I did not include the divorce certificate or write a letter to USCIS explaining my situation?

13 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

It means you need to resubmit a properly completed I-751 package.  Do you have the final divorce decree?  

I do not. Not yet at least. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Adam2658 said:

No clue. My ex wife is not communicating with me and I'm not sure whether she has received the divorce certificate yet. I was told it could take up to 3 months for us to receive it.

1. What is a divorce certificate?

5 minutes ago, Adam2658 said:

We did check that box

2. Any other boxes?

5 minutes ago, Adam2658 said:

So what could it have been? That I did not include the divorce certificate

3. Did you include any documents that show that a divorce was filed?

I've decided to include a cover letter to USCIS explaining my case: 

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am filing for my I-751 application, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. My ex-wife and I are currently going through divorce proceedings, and the divorce has yet to be finalized. As a result, I do not have the final Divorce Decree with me to include in my application. However, I have attached proof of our divorce mediation and agreement that was drafted by my ex-wife’s lawyer for your verification.

I am also still in the process of collecting further evidence of our bonafide marriage. My ex-wife was the one who handled all our paperwork, and we are no longer communicating with each other. This is why I was not able to include all of the evidence and supporting documents of our marriage in my application. I will have all of the evidence and paperwork for our marriage ready in the near future.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Respectfully Yours,

(signature)

What do you guys think?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Is the divorce actually final or not? By final, I mean has a judge entered a divorce decree/final judgment of divorce? In my state, a "divorce certificate" is a different document than the Divorce Decree/FJD. If you have a final judgment/decree entered by a judge, you do not have to wait for the divorce certificate. 

What evidence of bona fide marriage did you send with the first petition?

Did you not provide any kind of explanation of the current situation with the first petition?

I can imagine USCIS would have been confused if you checked the box for "My marriage was entered in good faith, but the marriage was terminated through divorce or annulment" but you provided little marriage evidence, no divorce decree, and no explanation. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Timeline
3 hours ago, Adam2658 said:

What do you guys think?

I think unless you show evidence that a divorce was filed with a court in your state or her state of residence that your I-751 will be rejected.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.