10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone. Just a little bit of background context to the post. Me (London, UK) and my fiancé (Petitioner) have recently filed for the I-129F but me being the worrier I am, typically have my reservations over the evidence we have provided.

We met each other in June 2021. Our first meet was September 2022 in Barcelona. We took our time meeting typically because both of us were pretty nervous and we wanted to make sure it was the right thing. From there, we met again in December 2022 where I spent a month in the US and then April 2023, where he visited London for 2 weeks. He decided to propose to me in December. 

We have been putting our packet together and we have included all 3 trips by chronological order. In total we have; 

- 9 Photos (2 with his family, a few from our visit to London in front of landmarks, and some from Barcelona) 

- Both passport stamps from Barcelona + my I-94 from the US. I haven’t included anything to suggest he entered the UK because well,  there isn’t a log of it.

- Flight itineraries/boarding passes for all trips 

- hotel reservations, although some are in his name and some are in mine, but we have highlighted the dates to show they match up

-  Receipts from each trip (movie tickets, restaurant tickets, train tickets…even a receipt from a gun range when I visited him)

- Bank statements from the both of us showing the locations where money was spent + any international fees 

- engagement ring receipt

- witness statements from my parents & his parents. 

I apologise for the length of the post but I’ve been beside myself with worry, especially with reading so much conflicting information online. Would this be enough for approval? Thank you for reading 

Edited by RetroPeach12

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

In my opinion it is more than enough.  The UK is a fairly easy consulate, and what you show seems like quite a bit.  In my case when I filed for my future wife, I had only two in person visits and we were fine.

As a side question, just wondering why you chose the K1 route instead of a spousal visa?

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

In my opinion it is more than enough.  The UK is a fairly easy consulate, and what you show seems like quite a bit.  In my case when I filed for my future wife, I had only two in person visits and we were fine.

As a side question, just wondering why you chose the K1 route instead of a spousal visa?

Good Luck!

Thank you! I’ve read so much information that I suppose I’ve kinda freaked myself out that we haven’t done enough. I suppose time will tell. 

To be fair, we didn’t really research the CR1 so we didn’t have a clue it was an option we could take. We felt that the K1 was more fitting for our situation. Although, I think if I could do it all again, the spousal visa would probably be the way. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
43 minutes ago, RetroPeach12 said:

Thank you! I’ve read so much information that I suppose I’ve kinda freaked myself out that we haven’t done enough. I suppose time will tell. 

To be fair, we didn’t really research the CR1 so we didn’t have a clue it was an option we could take. We felt that the K1 was more fitting for our situation. Although, I think if I could do it all again, the spousal visa would probably be the way. 

Have you already sent the I-129F package?

K-1        
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 6-8 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 6-8 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A K-1 might be a better choice when 18-21 year old children are immigrating also
    In some situations, marriage can affect certain Home country benefits, making a K-1 a better choice   
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire

CR-1
    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.
    Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
55 minutes ago, RetroPeach12 said:

If you haven’t submitted the I129F package yet, it might be a good idea to take a deep look at the spousal visa.  As @Crazy Cat summarized, it is a far superior visa.

Good Luck!

4 hours ago, RetroPeach12 said:

Hi everyone. Just a little bit of background context to the post. Me (London, UK) and my fiancé (Petitioner) have recently filed for the I-129F but me being the worrier I am, typically have my reservations over the evidence we have provided.

We met each other in June 2021. Our first meet was September 2022 in Barcelona. We took our time meeting typically because both of us were pretty nervous and we wanted to make sure it was the right thing. From there, we met again in December 2022 where I spent a month in the US and then April 2023, where he visited London for 2 weeks. He decided to propose to me in December. 

We have been putting our packet together and we have included all 3 trips by chronological order. In total we have; 

- 9 Photos (2 with his family, a few from our visit to London in front of landmarks, and some from Barcelona) 

- Both passport stamps from Barcelona + my I-94 from the US. I haven’t included anything to suggest he entered the UK because well,  there isn’t a log of it.

- Flight itineraries/boarding passes for all trips 

- hotel reservations, although some are in his name and some are in mine, but we have highlighted the dates to show they match up

-  Receipts from each trip (movie tickets, restaurant tickets, train tickets…even a receipt from a gun range when I visited him)

- Bank statements from the both of us showing the locations where money was spent + any international fees 

- engagement ring receipt

- witness statements from my parents & his parents. 

I apologise for the length of the post but I’ve been beside myself with worry, especially with reading so much conflicting information online. Would this be enough for approval? Thank you for reading 

@RetroPeach12 if you are a worrier I would research the possibilities of the spousal visa - it currently takes as long as the k1 visa but when you enter you will be allowed to work, open a bank account (as soon as you receive your SSN), and drive. You will probably start overthinking the K1 after you submit it so get all the research in now before you make the final decision.

The evidence you have so far is great for both K1 and spousal. 

Only issue would be getting married - you could visit your partner in the US and get married or go the Utah online route and get married if he needs to visit you in the UK.  Getting married in the UK involves an application whereas you are allowed to get married in the US on ESTA or tourist visa as long as you are planning on leaving before your stay expires (I've done it as have many other posters here on VJ). 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Redro said:

@RetroPeach12 if you are a worrier I would research the possibilities of the spousal visa - it currently takes as long as the k1 visa but when you enter you will be allowed to work, open a bank account (as soon as you receive your SSN), and drive. You will probably start overthinking the K1 after you submit it so get all the research in now before you make the final decision.

The evidence you have so far is great for both K1 and spousal. 

Only issue would be getting married - you could visit your partner in the US and get married or go the Utah online route and get married if he needs to visit you in the UK.  Getting married in the UK involves an application whereas you are allowed to get married in the US on ESTA or tourist visa as long as you are planning on leaving before your stay expires (I've done it as have many other posters here on VJ). 

Do you need the UK marriage permit if the couple use the Utah Zoom wedding and the couple are physically both in the UK at the time of the ceremony?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, Dashinka said:

Do you need the UK marriage permit if the couple use the Utah Zoom wedding and the couple are physically both in the UK at the time of the ceremony?

No, it's considered a US wedding in the state of Utah. They only look at the location of the officiator.

You will need to get the Utah wedding license, which can be done online as well.

Edited by Naterson

Timeline
59 minutes ago, Naterson said:

No, it's considered a US wedding in the state of Utah. They only look at the location of the officiator.

You will need to get the Utah wedding license, which can be done online as well.

Thanks, that is what I thought, but I wasn’t certain.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.