tomigaoka

Old passport with Tourist Visa then apply for NEW Passport with husband lastname?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My wife has a valid 10yrs US Tourist VISA, we got married and we would like to apply for her new passport using my last name.

Can she still travel to US on a tourist visa by just bringing the soon to be expired passport with us tourist visa and the new one (with my last name on it)

We just had our honeymoon in US a month ago using her old passport with tourist visa and were just about to start submitting her I30 petition.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
3 minutes ago, tomigaoka said:

Can she still travel to US on a tourist visa by just bringing the soon to be expired passport with us tourist visa and the new one (with my last name on it)

No, not good enough.

But if she also has an original lawful change of name document (usually a marriage certificate), yes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Tourist Visas, from IR1/CR1 P&P~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
17 minutes ago, tomigaoka said:

Ah everytime she comes we always have to bring

1. MARRIAGE CERT,

2. Her Expired Passport with valid 10 yrs US VISA

3. and NEW PAssport with updated husband last name?

Can you confirm please

28 minutes ago, tomigaoka said:

My wife has a valid 10yrs US Tourist VISA, we got married and we would like to apply for her new passport using my last name.

We just had our honeymoon in US a month ago using her old passport with tourist visa and were just about to start submitting her I30 petition.

Thanks

23 minutes ago, Mike E said:

No, not good enough.

But if she also has an original lawful change of name document (usually a marriage certificate), yes.

31 minutes ago, tomigaoka said:

Thanks

I was told I should apply for a new visa as CBP might not allow me in… I ended up not changing my name… 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Redro said:

I ended up not changing my name… 

My wife did not change her name.  It has made EVERYTHING so much smoother.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 hours ago, tomigaoka said:

Ah everytime she comes we always have to bring

1. MARRIAGE CERT,

2. Her Expired Passport with valid 10 yrs US VISA

3. and NEW PAssport with updated husband last name?

Can you confirm please

Yup.

As mentioned though I don't see what benefit there is to changing names after getting married. Much better keep original.

7 minutes ago, tomigaoka said:

On a side note, her old passport with visa was under her desease husband, we both dont want that

You can have your wife apply for a new passport in your name and go Mike E’s route… OR have your wife apply for another visa in her new name if she wants to change her name ASAP. Or she can travel on old passport while you wait for the I130 to be approved. If she wants to start her life in the US with your name make sure she changes her passport before her interview at the consulate. You have about 12 months after submitting the i130 before the petition is approved. You can change the passport before DS260 is submitted or between DQ and interview. Others have done it before. 

If someone actually wants to, and intends to change their name, it is certainly very advantageous to get their name changed on their passport before their interview rather than immigrating to the US with a visa, social security card and green card that does not have the desired name, along with a huge mountain of new US documents they will very quickly generate after arrival.

Anyone who actually wants to change their name but puts it off until after an immigration visa is issued, simply because they somehow think it will simplify the immigration process, will seriously regret that when they are now trying to change names on a mountain of US document rather than just one foreign passport. 

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.