Lover_Boy

Enter on Tourist Visa or Balikbayan Visa

15 posts in this topic

Headed to Philippines next month to spend some time with my wife and gonna fetch her back to USA.  I was thinking about having her fly to either Japan or Korea and meet up there for a week or so and tour the country and then we fly back to Philippines together so I can enter the Philippines with her, and get a 1 year free entry (Balikbayan Visa Stamp).  It will be much better than entering alone on a Tourist Visa into Philippines, and having to get a visa extension each month for me which is a pain, I will stay about 3 to 6 months and when I am ready will we catch a flight back to USA.

Which country Japan or Korea speaks the most English?  I have been to both airports many times, but never spent anytime inside either country.

Thanks

*** Moved from Tourist Visas forum to the Philippine regional forum -- topic is not about US visa process ***

15 minutes ago, Lover_Boy said:

Headed to Philippines next month to spend some time with my wife and gonna fetch her back to USA.

Does your wife have a green card?  If not, does she have a tourist visa to either Japan or Korea?

1 hour ago, Lover_Boy said:

Which country Japan or Korea speaks the most English?  I have been to both airports many times, but never spent anytime inside either country.

Not so much English in either country.  Make sure you are familiar with Google Lens visual translating.  It works well in Japanese or Korean and is a HUGE help.  Google maps works amazingly perfect on Japanese trains and subways which is a huge help getting around.  Korea not so much.  In general I would say Japan has a bit more to see that's reasonably accessible by western tourists.  Pre-rona they had built up a huge tourism infrastructure there.  I wouldn't put Korea down in any way because it's a great place to visit too, but if I had to choose, it would be Japan.

As Chancy mentioned Filipinos need a tourist visa for either country, but such visas are attainable by Filipinos and either country would typically be an almost automatic approval for a Filipina traveling with a US spouse.  There is no interviews or in person appearances required and both countries process tourist visas through accredited travel agents in the Philippines, but you would still need to plan ahead since it could take a few weeks to get a visa. 

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Malaysia and Hong Kong don't require visas for Filipinos with direct flights. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Philippine_citizens

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

1 hour ago, Lover_Boy said:

Headed to Philippines next month to spend some time with my wife and gonna fetch her back to USA.  I was thinking about having her fly to either Japan or Korea and meet up there for a week or so and tour the country and then we fly back to Philippines together so I can enter the Philippines with her, and get a 1 year free entry (Balikbayan Visa Stamp).  It will be much better than entering alone on a Tourist Visa into Philippines, and having to get a visa extension each month for me which is a pain, I will stay about 3 to 6 months and when I am ready will we catch a flight back to USA.

Thanks

Fetch her back to the US how?   Does she have a spousal visa already?

I am currently here on the BB visa as we are staying six weeks. They didn't even ask for any docs or proof. Her passport is still in her maiden name. I think it might be because I am quite charming or maybe it is because of the big "M" for married stamped on my forehead 😉 

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

5 minutes ago, Lover_Boy said:

Nope, Not needed for her as far as I know.

What travel document will your wife present to be able to board the plane to Japan or Korea?  If all she has is her Philippine passport, and no US green card nor Japan/Korea tourist visa, she won't even be allowed to check in to her flight to enter Japan or Korea.  Transiting is fine without a visa, but she will not be able to exit the airport to explore either of those countries.

14 hours ago, Chancy said:

What travel document will your wife present to be able to board the plane to Japan or Korea?  If all she has is her Philippine passport, and no US green card nor Japan/Korea tourist visa, she won't even be allowed to check in to her flight to enter Japan or Korea.  Transiting is fine without a visa, but she will not be able to exit the airport to explore either of those countries.

Really?

Why is that?

She will present her US Passport, I see  no issues

On 5/23/2023 at 2:22 PM, SalishSea said:

Fetch her back to the US how?   Does she have a spousal visa already?

She has both a US and Philippines Passport, The best of both worlds. I get to enter the Philippines for up to year for free with here with me, and I think no exit clearance is needed, which is nice

She can come and go as she pleases from USA, Life is Grand..........

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 5/23/2023 at 1:22 PM, Lover_Boy said:

Which country Japan or Korea speaks the most English?

S. Korea is #36, Japan #80, based on this ranking of English proficiency in non-English speaking countries world-wide, so it looks like S. Korea "speaks the most English."  Netherlands is #1 and Singapore #2, for context.

https://www.ef.com/wwen/epi/

Edited by carmel34

4 hours ago, Lover_Boy said:

The question was about what country speaks the most English

My post wasn't posted in the Philippines section, it was posted somewhere else and moved here, FYI

True, but, look how it went off course so quickly.

People are helpful here, and they saw issues in your intro paragraph.  So, the thread went as it did.

Finally done.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.