primrose_bambi

DCF request prior to registering marriage

27 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, not sure if this is a special case but thought I'd ask here :)

I'm a USC living in the UK for the last 5 years on a Tier 1 Visa

My partner of 3.5 years is an Austrian national who grew up in the UK with settled status (not dual, due to Austria's single passport rule)

Timeline so far:

1. Gave notice for our marriage with our council on 25 April, 2023

2. I received a job offer in America on 5 May, 2023 with a start date of 10 July, 2023

3. Our marriage notice was not referred to the home office, meaning we're free to marry after the 28 days noticed

4. We are due to register our marriage on 16 June, 2023

5. I wrote to the US consulate in London inquiring about DCF, and was given a link to apply

My question at this stage is:

Option 1: Is it better to request DCF right now, while giving the consulate all of the information above?

Option 2: or is it better to wait to request DCF until the day of/day after our marriage (so 16 or 17 or June, 2023)?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

This is my opinion, but you need to be married with an I130 ready to go before the consulate can do anything.  Sure you can contact them earlier, but it will be nothing concrete until you are ready to file.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Agreed, get married then request.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, we got married and submitted via: https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/i130-exceptional-circumstances-request-form/

We didn't get any confirmation email, except for this confirmation message on the website:
> Immigrant Visa Unit will reply to your request as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Was this the case for everyone else? Thanks again :)

On 6/19/2023 at 3:12 AM, primrose_bambi said:

Was this the case for everyone else? Thanks again :)

Pretty typical,  If you are in a rush you might get a message in a few months.  Nothing is normal when doing a DCF.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

5 hours ago, primrose_bambi said:

I'm hoping it won't be a few months as I'm due to leave London for my job in USA in less than a month...

At a quick glance online, most people seems to hear back within 3-5 days after submitting DCF request to the UK Embassy, but maybe it's just wishful thinking on my end.

Hi there, how long has it been since you submitted the request? I am also submitting a DCF request soon and curious to hear how it goes for you!

On 5/22/2023 at 11:04 AM, primrose_bambi said:

Hi everyone, not sure if this is a special case but thought I'd ask here :)

I'm a USC living in the UK for the last 5 years on a Tier 1 Visa

My partner of 3.5 years is an Austrian national who grew up in the UK with settled status (not dual, due to Austria's single passport rule)

Timeline so far:

1. Gave notice for our marriage with our council on 25 April, 2023

2. I received a job offer in America on 5 May, 2023 with a start date of 10 July, 2023

3. Our marriage notice was not referred to the home office, meaning we're free to marry after the 28 days noticed

4. We are due to register our marriage on 16 June, 2023

5. I wrote to the US consulate in London inquiring about DCF, and was given a link to apply

My question at this stage is:

Option 1: Is it better to request DCF right now, while giving the consulate all of the information above?

Option 2: or is it better to wait to request DCF until the day of/day after our marriage (so 16 or 17 or June, 2023)?

Hi again, I just had another question about your I-30 form -

Do you already have housing lined up in the US? I noticed on the I-30 it asks where you intend to live in the US. I am unsure how to fill this in, as I am planning to travel over and begin apartment hunting while my husband's DCF is being processed. Basically not sure if it's required to have a lease signed already at the time of submitting the i-30

Hi @JRoo — I only submitted the DCF request on 18 June, I haven't heard back yet but will keep you posted when I do.

Re: housing — I'm relocating back to where I used to live and my state license is still tied to the same address which is the one I'll use (my US bank and credit cards are tied to this address). If I were in your position I would probably put a family member's address or where your US bank address is tied to.

But to be honest, I'm very new to the process so other people may be better informed than me on this forum. Best of luck to you.

51 minutes ago, primrose_bambi said:

Hi @JRoo — I only submitted the DCF request on 18 June, I haven't heard back yet but will keep you posted when I do.

Re: housing — I'm relocating back to where I used to live and my state license is still tied to the same address which is the one I'll use (my US bank and credit cards are tied to this address). If I were in your position I would probably put a family member's address or where your US bank address is tied to.

But to be honest, I'm very new to the process so other people may be better informed than me on this forum. Best of luck to you.

Great thank you! I think it's normal to take several days to hear back after submitting the request so wouldn't worry. 

Thanks for the advice about the address, good luck to you too! 

17 hours ago, primrose_bambi said:

I'm hoping it won't be a few months as I'm due to leave London for my job in USA in less than a month...

At a quick glance online, most people seems to hear back within 3-5 days after submitting DCF request to the UK Embassy, but maybe it's just wishful thinking on my end.

That's cutting it close.

If you mean, hearing back for a visa approval in 3-5 days, that just will not happen.  You may get a response as to whether they'll accept your case, but it's not going to be done in less than a month.

12 hours ago, JRoo said:

Hi again, I just had another question about your I-30 form -

Do you already have housing lined up in the US? I noticed on the I-30 it asks where you intend to live in the US. I am unsure how to fill this in, as I am planning to travel over and begin apartment hunting while my husband's DCF is being processed. Basically not sure if it's required to have a lease signed already at the time of submitting the i-30

I may be wrong, but I believe you wouldn't be eligible if you move back before the visa processing/interview etc.  The expectation is that you're still living abroad with your spouse.

6 hours ago, SalishSea said:

That's cutting it close.

If you mean, hearing back for a visa approval in 3-5 days, that just will not happen.  You may get a response as to whether they'll accept your case, but it's not going to be done in less than a month.

Hi @SalishSea — Yes, sorry if it was unclear. I meant 3-5 days to hear back on whether the embassy will accept the case after requesting DCF. We understand after this initial stage it will still take up to 12 weeks after acceptance. And I agree on cutting it close, but the job offer came fast after we wanted to get married so we've had to scramble a bit!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.