Meerim Davis

N-600 for minor with divorced biological parents

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

you guys been a huge help when I was going through the processing of my IR1. I recently became a US citizen and want to have all legal papers straight for my child. Long story short this is my second marriage and my son is not a biological child to my husband, kid has a biological father who is not US citizen.

I am filling up N-600 for him and having a hard time with understanding this particular part:

• Were your parents married to each other when you were born (or adopted)?
  • Did your parents marry after you were born?
  •  

What shall I answer here? Is the question related to my current marriage as I acquired citizenship through marriage to a US citizen. Or is it about biological parents, myself and my ex?

Please someone help. I keep dragging this part, and I am waiting for my ex to visit our son so we can apply to the passport, but I really want the certificate to be in my hands just in case.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

1. Get his passport book and card first, since you get just one opportunity with N-600 

31 minutes ago, Meerim Davis said:

I am filling up N-600 for him and having a hard time with understanding this particular part:

• Were your parents married to each other when you were born (or adopted)?
  • Did your parents marry after you were born?
  •  

What shall I answer here? Is the question related to my current marriage as I acquired citizenship through marriage to a US citizen. Or is it about biological parents, myself and my ex?

This has nothing to do with your son’s step father. So were you married to your son’s father when he was born?

Since you divorced his father, do you have legal custody?

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi, I can help as I also filed N600 for my son and it was approved.  Just a heads-up up, it's around $1000.

The question is whether you and the child biological father were married before the child was born or adopted. 

For the passport,  you can apply for your son using your naturalization certificate,  however the father will have to sign form D-3053 and the need the original signed document.  If he lives outside of the US,  you can email him the form and he sign and get it notarized and mail it mail it back to u if possible via DHL, it's faster. 

However, if you have fully custody of the child then the father's consent is not needed.

Supporting documents when applying for his passport. 

1. Your certificate of citizenship 

2. His green card

3. His birth certificate 

4. Marriage or divorce certificate with his biological father 

You can book appointment at the USPS or some libraries offer it as well.

Yes the N600 is optional but highly recommended so yes you made the right decision. 

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy to share my little experience 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mike E said:

1. Get his passport book and card first, since you get just one opportunity with N-600 

This has nothing to do with your son’s step father. So were you married to your son’s father when he was born?

Since you divorced his father, do you have legal custody.

Agree, if she has fully custody,  nothing is needed from the biological father. And yes this has nothing to do with the step father. 

9 minutes ago, Free Man said:

Hi, I can help as I also filed N600 for my son and it was approved.  Just a heads-up up, it's around $1000.

The question is whether you and the child biological father were married before the child was born or adopted. 

For the passport,  you can apply for your son using your naturalization certificate,  however the father will have to sign form D-3053 and the need the original signed document.  If he lives outside of the US,  you can email him the form and he sign and get it notarized and mail it mail it back to u if possible via DHL, it's faster. 

However, if you have fully custody of the child then the father's consent is not needed.

Supporting documents when applying for his passport. 

1. Your certificate of citizenship 

2. His green card

3. His birth certificate 

4. Marriage or divorce certificate with his biological father 

You can book appointment at the USPS or some libraries offer it as well.

Yes the N600 is optional but highly recommended so yes you made the right decision. 

Let me know if you have any questions. Happy to share my little experience 

I thought D-3053 is the form for the passport. Or is this applicable to the N-600 application process too? 
And will public notary work for that form by the way?

We have shared custody and his biological father is supportive in the process, I just want to file everything right and avoid complications 

32 minutes ago, Meerim Davis said:

I thought D-3053 is the form for the passport. Or is this applicable to the N-600 application process too? 

We have shared custody and his biological father is supportive in the process, I just want to file everything right and avoid complications 

Your ex husband can book appointment under ACS at US Embassy in Kyrgyzstan and they can notarize the form. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Meerim Davis said:

Form D-3053 is only for passport application. Am saying you can apply for his passport without waiting for the N600

Since u have shared custody, the father has to fill and sign D-3053  and mail u back the original signed plus copy of his Government issued ID or passport 

*** Moved from US Citizenship General Discussion to Passports, etc sub-forum, where topics about N-600 are discussed ***

On 5/21/2023 at 8:58 PM, Meerim Davis said:

kid has a biological father who is not US citizen

Just to be clear -- your son already has a green card, right?

1 minute ago, Chancy said:

*** Moved from US Citizenship General Discussion to Passports, etc sub-forum, where topics about N-600 are discussed ***

Just to be clear -- your son already has a green card, right?

Absolutely

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.