M&Y_2019

What went wrong with Global Entry?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Very poor experience arriving back at SFO with global entry (which both of us have) and I-751 pending, expired GC and extension letter. My spouse tried to take his picture and scan his expired green card at the global entry kiosk and it just flashed “see officer”.

Went to the officer who was extremely rude and impatient. He seemed to think my spouse was lying about having global entry, as he said “it isn’t showing up in the system.” I explained that we used it just four months earlier before the green card expired with no issues, to which he continued to act frustrated and implied we were lying about having my spouse having it. He seemed to think I was the only who had it and I was trying to bring my spouse along. 

It was just then that I remembered we brought the global entry cards (the ones that they say you “don’t need” to carry with you), which my spouse showed the officer. That seemed to finally get him to believe us. I’m so glad we brought those just in case, turned out to be very useful.  

After that he said “you need to have global entry update your information as it does not show in the system” but he let us through.

I don’t understand what he means - I didn’t think global entry updates anything based on extension letters. Did they really “unregister” his expired green card from his global entry profile to the point that *nothing* shows up when they scan it?

It was an awful welcome back to the US after a two week trip abroad in my spouse’s home country. I don’t understand why they have to be so nasty about everything. 

Edited by M&Y_2019

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
10 minutes ago, igoyougoduke said:

Global entry does not work when i-751 is pending and green card has expired . this is a known fact... did you call global entry on filing i-751 and getting a receipt to update the status  ? . global entry does not update as they are not part of USCIS. its your responsibility to inform them 

My understanding from reading about this prior so that Global Entry does not update anything based on extension letters - not until you get your 10 year green card. While

the I-751 is pending, our belief was you can attempt to use the kiosk (some have reported it works regardless) but will probably have to have the officer manually admit you in the global entry line by showing the expired green card and extension letter.

I expected we’d have to talk to the officer. What I didn’t expect was the extreme frustration and seeming characterization as a liars trying to enter without actually having global entry. I don’t see why they couldn’t see his global entry based on his expired green card.

Edited by M&Y_2019

2 minutes ago, M&Y_2019 said:

My understanding from reading about this prior so that Global Entry does not update anything based on extension letters - not until you get your 10 year green card. While

the I-751 is pending, our belief was you can attempt to use the kiosk (some have reported it works regardless) but will probably have to have the officer manually admit you in the global entry line by showing the expired green card and extension letter.

I expected we’d have to talk to the officer. What I didn’t expect was the extreme frustration and seeming characterization as a liars trying to enter without actually having global entry. I don’t see why they couldn’t see his global entry based on his expired green card.

Yeah its a known issue with extension documents and you never know the type of officer you deal with at POE 

duh

20 minutes ago, igoyougoduke said:

Yeah its a known issue with extension documents and you never know the type of officer you deal with at POE 

What is the procedure to update Global Entry with the I-751 receipt?

After submitting the Global Entry application, the website says only a Global Entry officer can update?

I'm wondering if paying for a new Global Entry fee allows to submit the updated documents and then re-interviewing will work?

We are in the process of scheduling an interview, which itself is a very annoying process. Nothing near us is available.

Edited by EatBulaga

13 minutes ago, EatBulaga said:

What is the procedure to update Global Entry with the I-751 receipt?

After submitting the Global Entry application, the website says only a Global Entry officer can update?

I'm wondering if paying for a new Global Entry fee allows to submit the updated documents and then re-interviewing will work?

We are in the process of scheduling an interview, which itself is a very annoying process. Nothing near us is available.

update on global entry site for the expiration date of your green card.

duh

25 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

With everyone getting global entry, even though I have it I find I don't use it as much as the app based mobile passport. You enter all you information in the app, and answer all the questions on you phone, and then it gives you a QR code to scan at the 1 line for mobile passport ( That is usually empty in my experience). I walk up and scan the QR code, and roll thru, actually a lot faster than global entry in my experience. I recommend the mobile passport app for now, until everyone starts using that.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control

Mobile Passport Control app is only for US citizens or Canadian B1/B2 visitors.

LPR can't use MPC.

Global Entry has dedicated lines, but I don't think I've seen the dedicated line for MPC or maybe I was not actively looking for it?

1 hour ago, igoyougoduke said:

Global entry does not work when i-751 is pending and green card has expired . this is a known fact... 

I disagree. I used face recognition kiosk at SFO in September 2022, which let me through without a problem.

The issue is when older kiosks are used, asking to scan document in addition to face recognition. That's when expired GC and extension letter are not accepted by machine and you need to see an officer. However, even in this case Global Entry "works". Because technically, you may still save time by using GE vs standing in long line at busy airports.

9 minutes ago, EatBulaga said:

Global Entry has dedicated lines, but I don't think I've seen the dedicated line for MPC or maybe I was not actively looking for it?

I've seen those, but they are not as common as GE lanes.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I updated my NEXUS based on extension letter when I had a pending I-751 - that could not be done online though, I had to go to an enrollment center. NEXUS has an extra step compared to Global Entry though since all changes need to be made in both US and Canadian systems. Global Entry should be more straightforward...

54 minutes ago, NorthByNorthwest said:

I updated my NEXUS based on extension letter when I had a pending I-751 - that could not be done online though, I had to go to an enrollment center. NEXUS has an extra step compared to Global Entry though since all changes need to be made in both US and Canadian systems. Global Entry should be more straightforward...

correct. some times you can do it online for global entry but yes any enrollment center can update the date 

duh

1 hour ago, NorthByNorthwest said:

How do you update GE with extension letter? Just edit validity of GC in the system based on extension letter? Or do you have to actually see somebody in Enrollment Center? 

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 minutes ago, OldUser said:

How do you update GE with extension letter? Just edit validity of GC in the system based on extension letter? Or do you have to actually see somebody in Enrollment Center? 

Not sure how the system works internally - some fields can be updated online, others need to be done in person. For extension letter (and later on updating citizenship) I had to do it in person. The good thing is that you don't need an appointment for updates like this, you can just show up at the enrollment center, my local one even has a dedicated line for basic updates.

10 minutes ago, NorthByNorthwest said:

Not sure how the system works internally - some fields can be updated online, others need to be done in person. For extension letter (and later on updating citizenship) I had to do it in person. The good thing is that you don't need an appointment for updates like this, you can just show up at the enrollment center, my local one even has a dedicated line for basic updates.

Interesting, is dedicated line for updates a new thing? Which city?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, NorthByNorthwest said:

You CAN update your NEXUS by sending an inquiry through CBP with scans of your letters/ID.  The lovely lady at the Blaine, WA Enrollment Center told me this and it was confirmed in an email I received after submitting a CBP inquiry when we updated Kid1's passport.  We'd updated the GOES profile, but a human apparently has to verify the information, scanned or not.  

I used to get flagged all of the time when I was on L1 visa with "see officer".  I was told that it was because they had to verify the validity of my employment visa.  As stated above, you're still skipping the line and saving valuable time, especially when multiple international flights arrive and there's very few CBP lanes open.  

FYI: 

https://help.cbp.gov/s/questions?language=en_US

Thank you for contacting the CBP Traveler Communications Center.

Updates to your visa(s), citizenship or immigration status, date of birth, gender, or legal name, and the addition of new documents (such as a second passport or new visa) can be completed by our office. Please read the information below carefully and reply to this message with the information requested below.

NAME CHANGE: Please reply to this message with a color image of your passport reflecting the name change.
CITIZENSHIP OR IMMIGRATION STATUS CHANGE: Please reply to this message with images of your new passport or Permanent Resident Card (I-551). For U.S. Permanent Resident cards, please provide images of the front and back of the card.
DOB or GENDER UPDATES/CORRECTIONS: Please reply to this message with a color image of your passport reflecting the correct date of birth and/or gender.
ADD or UPDATE VISA: Please reply to this message with a color image of the new visa.

Once we receive your attachment, we will escalate this case to request the name update. Escalation processing times are currently 3-4 weeks.

The Trusted Traveler Programs will only allow you to apply for one membership at a time.

The NEXUS program allows pre-screened travelers expedited processing into both the United States and Canada through dedicated processing lanes at designated northern land border ports of entry, at NEXUS kiosks in certain Canadian airports and at Global Entry kiosks at designated airports for entry into the U.S., and at marine reporting locations. Approved applicants are issued a photo-identification, proximity Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) card. 

NEXUS is the only trusted traveler program that provides US citizens and LPRs expedited entry into Canada.  Participation in NEXUS also provides US and Canadian citizens and U.S. LPRs full access to Global Entry Benefits as well as TSA pre check.

If you do not see the option to switch programs on your TTP dashboard, you will not be able to switch programs. However, you have the option to request cancellation of your current application, so that you can reapply for your preferred program. 

Please note that the application fee is non-refundable per the terms and conditions of the program. If you still wish to cancel, please reply to this email. Please continue to log into your TTP account to check the status of your application.

The Trusted Traveler Program is a voluntary program that offers expedited customs clearance for those who submit to background investigations. It was promulgated through the rulemaking process and 8 CFR 103.7 stipulates there are no refunds, because fees charged offset the program costs associated with background investigations. These were the terms and conditions that you agreed to prior to payment.  Unfortunately, a refund cannot be processed.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP Traveler Communications Center.

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.