jm1409

Is it possible to get your interview scheduled before you're able to get the medical exam?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

We have recently put in a request to expedite (via Senator, same route we expedited successfully through via USCIS) our NVC case 1 day after we submitted all documents and paid fees, in hopes to be DQ'd quicker and get interviewed quicker. One thing we're concerned about though is if by some chance that we get the interview scheduled prior to us being able to get the medical exam done, since that's required before the interview can take place. Is this situation common? Should we be worried? Appreciate your help.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Nebraska Service Center
Transferred? Potomac Service Center on 2022-07-01
Consulate : Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Marriage (if applicable): 2022-06-21
I-130 Sent : 2022-06-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2022-06-29

You just go to the interview, after which they will issue 221g, put your case on hold and they wait until your medical exam results  get to them. It’s pretty common 

Timeline

Ah, makes sense. Is there any risk/delay involved with getting the case on hold and receiving the 221g as opposed to having the medical exam completed prior to the interview?

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Event Date

Timeline
3 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Yes, there’s a delay. You don’t have the results with you so they have to wait for them, naturally there’s a delay 

Got it. So there is a risk in additional delay even with expediting -- I wonder if it's possible that the risk isn't worth the reward and that expediting could be have been a bad call. 

Any idea how long those 221g/holds can delay for? 

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Event Date

Well, expediting still doesn’t mean fast in immigration. It’s possible you’ll manage to get a medical well in advance of the interview. There needs to be enough time between medical and interview so the results get to the consulate before the interview. However there’s no way to predict how it’ll go for you 

No standard timeline for how long 221g can take for a medical, I’d say probably a few weeks 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The expedite will just get it thru the review process faster. you are still going to have 3-4 weeks advanced notice of the interview, so you should be able to get a medical done.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello there, you will be able to expedite the interview but the approval will only come once the American embassy gets the medical exam results. At the time of interview they should be able to let you know if approval is only pending from the medical results.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.