curiousotter

K2 still has no approval even though K1 and K2 were approved verbally at interview

10 posts in this topic

Hi there!

I'm the K1 in question and my K2 is my child. We attended our interview almost 3 weeks ago and were approved verbally by the officer, which was fabulous news.

Unfortunately, my K2's case was not being dealt with by our local office and was elsewhere, so the officer spent time during our interview retrieving it. The case was successfully moved to our local office, but the officer was not able to approve it while we waited because it was stuck as "read only". They assured us that they would raise the issue with the IT department and that we would both be approved promptly.

My case was approved a few days later and I have since received my Green Card, which was super fast, however, my K2 still has not even been approved through the website. I have tried reaching out through Ask Emma on two occasions since but nobody seems to be able to help. I also tried calling but had no luck getting through to an actual person.

My concern is that, prior to my interview we received a call on a Saturday from a uscis officer telling us that they lost my K2's medical and asked us to bring it to my interview (they were intending to waive my K2's need for interview, which was confirmed when we saw an officer in person). We went and had a fresh medical done for both myself and my K2 (just in case mine had also been mislaid) and brought the medical and my K2 to the interview, even though it was my interview and they weren't physically required to attend, the officer swore us both in and questioned us both. We left our medicals there at the local office. I am concerned that the medical may still need to be submitted, or that my K2's case has been lost somewhere under a pile, so to speak.

I'd love to know if anyone has been through something similar, if there are any tips for reaching a T2 uscis officer, whether I should submit the unsealed K2 medical under unsolicited evidence or if there is anything else we can do?

Thanks for reading!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
6 hours ago, curiousotter said:

We attended our interview almost 3 weeks ago and were approved verbally by the officer, which was fabulous news.

Verbal approvals are not work the paper they are printed on. When told you are approved, slide your passport over and request an I-551 stamp.

6 hours ago, curiousotter said:

That appears to be naturalisation, for green card it seems to be 30 days from date of interview.

No, it’s 120. I was given a paper after K1 AOS interview which stated to wait for 120 days to send an inquiry/receive a decision. 

Edited by powerpuff

On 4/11/2023 at 10:35 PM, Mike E said:

Verbal approvals are not work the paper they are printed on. When told you are approved, slide your passport over and request an I-551 stamp.

That's the thing though, I was approved. And to back that I literally have my green card in hand. But for some reason my K2 just isn't getting her approval and the only thing holding it up was meant to be this system error.

To update, I actually managed to request a tier 2 officer through the Ask Emma chat and I'm waiting for them to either call or email with me currently to figure out what is going on.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, curiousotter said:

That's the thing though, I was approved. And to back that I literally have my green card in hand. But for some reason my K2 just isn't getting her approval and the only thing holding it up was meant to be this system error.

To update, I actually managed to request a tier 2 officer through the Ask Emma chat and I'm waiting for them to either call or email with me currently to figure out what is going on.

Self edit. Just confused by the post. Going for coffee now  

Edited by Lil bear

7 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

What do you mean “actually received green card”. After K1 is entry into  the US, marriage, filing for Adjustment of status to LPR on the base of marriage yo USC, then wait wait wait for approval .. takes 12-18 months after entry into the US using your fiance visa. Please clarify .. either that or i need way more coffee .. 

I have my green card, we have been through the whole process. It was around 8 months from submitting the paperwork to getting an interview date (biometrics was fast, around 4 weeks after submitting). 1 month more until the interview, then around 2 weeks before I received my green card.

My K2 wasn't required to interview but per my posts above; we went and got a new medical for both of us because we received a call that hers was missing. The interview instructions were not entirely clear so we took her with us and both new medicals to the interview. We were both approved at the interview, but there was a system error that didn't allow our officer to approve via the system. We were told that the officer would put in a fix request for the case if they weren't able to do it in office.

This was around 3 weeks ago. My case was marked as approved 3 days after interview, card being produced around a week later and I received my card within 2 weeks of the interview. My K2 however, her case hasn't been updated at all.

Edited by curiousotter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
17 minutes ago, curiousotter said:

I have my green card, we have been through the whole process. It was around 8 months from submitting the paperwork to getting an interview date (biometrics was fast, around 4 weeks after submitting). 1 month more until the interview, then around 2 weeks before I received my green card.

My K2 wasn't required to interview but per my posts above; we went and got a new medical for both of us because we received a call that hers was missing. The interview instructions were not entirely clear so we took her with us and both new medicals to the interview. We were both approved at the interview, but there was a system error that didn't allow our officer to approve via the system. We were told that the officer would put in a fix request for the case if they weren't able to do it in office.

This was around 3 weeks ago. My case was marked as approved 3 days after interview, card being produced around a week later and I received my card within 2 weeks of the interview. My K2 however, her case hasn't been updated at all.

Thank you. Much clearer. Updating your time line would be useful. Thx

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.