Wahid Younis

Moving to NYC with my cat

43 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Today my spouse visa was approved and I'm planning on moving to NYC in June/July. I'm going to be taking my cat with me but I'm not sure what's the best way to go about this. I'd like the most cost effective option and ideally have my cat travel with me if possible. I'll be flying directly to JFK from Manchester airport. Anyone have any recommendations? I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks

In our experience airlines allow pets traveling with you if the box fits under the seat, the pet+box is under 22lbs and the box is rigid - not a fabric backpack for example-.

Now, I am not sure if that is not the case for flights 7+ hours. 

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Check with your airline in regard to the options.  Consult with your veterinarian.  Check Customs & Border Protection regulations.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My 2 cents: please, PLEASE choose safety & comfort of your cat over cost. 

God forbid something happens, you will blame yourself forever.

Timeline:

Spoiler

AOS Journey:

Spoiler

08/19/2016 - day 0 - I-485, I-130, I-765 sent to USCIS office in Chicago (PD: 08/23/2016)

08/31/2016 - day 9 - electronic NOAs received via text and email, check is cashed.

09/08/2016 - day 17 - biometrics appointment notice received in the mail (appointment date 09/19/2016).

09/13/2016 - day 22 - early biometrics walk in.

10/28/2016 - day 67 - EAD status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced".

11/16/2016 - day 87 - EAD card received in mail.

06/27/2017 - day 309 - contacted the congressman office.

07/28/2017 - day 340 - finally received an interview appointment in mail (online status has not changed).

08/31/2017 - day 374 - Interview; I-485 status changed to 'New Card Is Being Produced'

09/08/2017 - day 382 - greencard received in mail

I-751 & N400 Journey:

Spoiler

06/20/2019 - day 1036 - ROC packet mailed (PD: 06/21/2019)

06/29/2019 - day 1045 - NOA/Extension letter received in the mail (new GC expiration date is 2/28/2021)

01/17/2020 - day 1256 - biometrics appointment

06/03/2020 - day 1382 - N400 filed online (PD: 06/04/2020)

02/01/2021 - day 1626 - Biometric Reuse notice uploaded to my online account

02/08/2021 - day 1634 - Interview Appointment notice uploaded to my online account

03/16/2021 - day 1670 - N400 Interview - passed; due to I-751 stuck in another office 'No decision can be made at this time'

06/01/2021 - day 1747 - with help of Sen. Sanders' office, I-751 file finally forwarded to St. Albans field office

06/28/2021 - day 1774 - I-751 status changed to 'New Card is Being Produced'; N400 status changed to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'

08/19/2021 - day 1826 (exactly 5 years since day 0) - Oath Ceremony (notice received on 7/19/21)

1 hour ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

In our experience airlines allow pets traveling with you if the box fits under the seat, the pet+box is under 22lbs and the box is rigid - not a fabric backpack for example-.

Now, I am not sure if that is not the case for flights 7+ hours. 

Yeah there's only 2 airlines from Manchester that fly directly to JFK and they are Aer Lingus and Virgin Atlantic. I called Aer Lingus some time ago about this and they said they don't allow pets in the cabin or in the cargo hold. I still need to contact Virgin Atlantic to see what options they have. Thanks

1 hour ago, Sukie said:

Also, you will need to consider the vaccination requirements for both the USA AND the state in which you arrive and choose to live.  Some states are much pickier than the Feds.

We used a pet moving service, as we were unable to have our cats on our flights (because of routing).  To the best of my knowledge (and in my experience moving cats from the US to Hong Kong and back, and from Australia to the US), all international pet imports must travel as freight - meaning, you cannot have them in the cabin with you - they'll be in a pressurized portion of the cargo hold.  The carrier must be big enough for the animal to sit upright - so the carriers are usually much bigger than the one you use to take your pet to the vet.

Hopefully your vet can answer a lot of your questions.

FYI - New York requirements are strict - please toggle New York in the link below.

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/cats.html

Sukie in NY

Thanks for this. It's really helpful. I checked the link and NY only requires a health certificate and rabies vaccination, which shouldn't be difficult I imagine.

How much do pet moving services cost and what can I expect? Is there anything to watch out for with these kind of services?

Thanks

Edited by Wahid Younis

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Wahid Younis said:

Thanks for this. It's really helpful. I checked the link and NY only requires a health certificate and rabies vaccination, which shouldn't be difficult I imagine.

How much do pet moving services cost and what can I expect? Is there anything to watch out for with these kind of services?

Thanks

Wahid,

We used "JetPets" from Australia - and they have a partnership with a US company, but I don't remember who it is.  See if you can find a British ex-pat site and ask them who they used.  I picked up the cats myself at the Lufthansa Freight office at JFK.  I flew in on a Thursday, and the cats flew in on a Friday.  So I just stayed the night at a hotel near the airport...

I had two cats, and it was about $2000, and it was in 2011.  However, this included being picked up at our apartment, Delivery to the airport, their flights, and a "spa day" in Los Angeles waiting for a connecting flight.  We flew Cathay Pacific - the cats flew Lufthansa Freight.  I know it probably sounds really expensive, but if you feel about your cat like I feel about mine, it's totally worth it.  I was a nervous wreck.  My kitties were just fine.

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I moved from the UK to US in 2021 and brought my dog with me. I used PetAir UK and had a great experience with them. They were very helpful and communicative throughout the whole process. It wasn't cheap but I had peace of mind that they were advising me on vet requirements, dealing with all the customs and airline paperwork, and arranging handlers both at departure and arrival airports to ensure she was OK. 
Sometimes the routes can be limited. I moved from Scotland to Tennessee and had to go with American Airlines from Heathrow to Charlotte, North Carolina. We were on the same flight and I picked her up from the cargo area of the airport about an hour after we landed.
One thing to look out for if you're moving in the summer is that most airlines will not take pets in the cargo hold if the temperature at either the departure or arrival airport is likely to be above 29C (84F). This is in case the the plane has to sit on the tarmac for a lengthy period and heat rises into the hold. I delayed my move to the US from September to November because of higher temperatures in the southern states.

Edited by Ewan

I remember back in the day when they allowed animals to travel in the cabin. I sat across from this lady that had a cat. That was by far the worst flight to this day I have ever taken. I think cats more so than dogs need to be drugged because this cat meowed the whole trip. It was awful for the cat as well as the passengers. The flight was full so I could not move or change seats. The good thing the flight was not international so it was not too long, but all in all a bad experience for the cat and me too!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

9 hours ago, Ewan said:

I moved from the UK to US in 2021 and brought my dog with me. I used PetAir UK and had a great experience with them. They were very helpful and communicative throughout the whole process. It wasn't cheap but I had peace of mind that they were advising me on vet requirements, dealing with all the customs and airline paperwork, and arranging handlers both at departure and arrival airports to ensure she was OK. 
Sometimes the routes can be limited. I moved from Scotland to Tennessee and had to go with American Airlines from Heathrow to Charlotte, North Carolina. We were on the same flight and I picked her up from the cargo area of the airport about an hour after we landed.
One thing to look out for if you're moving in the summer is that most airlines will not take pets in the cargo hold if the temperature at either the departure or arrival airport is likely to be above 29C (84F). This is in case the the plane has to sit on the tarmac for a lengthy period and heat rises into the hold. I delayed my move to the US from September to November because of higher temperatures in the southern states.

Thanks Ewan. This is really helpful. I actually got a quote from PetAir UK last year. Based on the comments in this thread, the safest option for me is to use a pet transportation service, and since most people like yourself have had a great experience with PetAir UK, I've decided to go with them. It makes sense about the routes being limited because when I got the quote last year, they said it would be from London and not Manchester, so looks like that's going to be my only option. I still need to decide whether I fly from Manchester, which would be separate from my cat. In this case, I guess I would have to make sure I arrive into JFK before my cat does. Are there any advantages to being on the same flight as my cat, since he will be in the cargo hold anyway?

Thanks for bringing the temperature issue to my attention. I wasn't aware of this. This now makes things a bit difficult for me. In NYC it can be 29C from June to September, so I would have to either send my cat just before June or after September. The only issue with waiting until after September is that my visa is only valid for 6 months from the medical exam date, which was 23rd March. Unless I move first to NYC and leave my cat behind and then sip him over in October, but that would mean being apart from him for like 4 months, which is the last thing I want to do. It looks like my only option is to move with my cat at the end of May/beginning of June.

I need some assistance/guidance with the quote PetAir UK provided to me last year. It seems like they tried to upsell me on certain services, which looks like are not required. Therefore I would to minimise the cost as much as possible and only do the required stuff with them. Here's the quote:

Our Silver quote includes the following:

• Airline ticket from London to New York, United States (subject to availability) with BA 
  • Airline surcharges (Handling / Security / War Insurance / Fuel / Airway Bill / Transit Fees)   
  • Custom made PetAir UK IATA approved wooden travel container with bedding and watering facility (see below)
  • Export customs entry
  • Airport visit on day of departure for check in assistance

The Gold service also includes:

• Pre-travel veterinary health examination
  • Fitness to fly certificate (Vet completed document)
  • Acclimatisation Declaration (Vet completed document)
  • Collection from your home (BD postcode)  and transport to the airport (includes one night boarding)
  • Check in

We can provide the above services for a total cost of: Silver £1068.20 and Gold £1498.20  (VAT not applicable as destination is outside EU)  Please note:  If taking our Gold service, your pets annual vaccinations (including Kennel Cough for dogs) will need to be up to date for them to be able to stay overnight in our facilities.  This is a requirement of the kennels.

****Please read below regarding the mandatory broker for clearance:

**It is essential to use a broker at your chosen destination, to clear customs on arrival for your pets. As part of our service, we can arrange this for you. The cost for this is would be an additional  £330.00. Please be advised that this cost is for remote customs clearance ONLY. You will still be required to collect your pet(s) from the cargo department, which can involve long waiting periods, driving back and forth to various offices and payment of any extra handling or pet health check fees. 

Alternatively, we can organise for a trusted pet handling agent (like us) to attend the airport, check on your pet(s) wellbeing on arrival, top-up water and complete the customs clearance in person. They will then bring your pet(s) out of the cargo area and meet you at a pre-arranged place near the airport, where you can be reunited with your pet(s). If you choose this service, you will be given access to this agent prior to departure, to answer any questions you may have about the process on arrival. The additional cost for this service is: £650.00.

I assume you went for the Gold package? In terms of the mandatory broker, did you pay the additional cost and use the broker PetAir UK provide? Also based on what you said, it sounds like I can go to the cargo department myself to collect my cat and therefore won't require an agent, saving me £650?

Thank you so much for you help.

10 hours ago, Sukie said:

Wahid,

We used "JetPets" from Australia - and they have a partnership with a US company, but I don't remember who it is.  See if you can find a British ex-pat site and ask them who they used.  I picked up the cats myself at the Lufthansa Freight office at JFK.  I flew in on a Thursday, and the cats flew in on a Friday.  So I just stayed the night at a hotel near the airport...

I had two cats, and it was about $2000, and it was in 2011.  However, this included being picked up at our apartment, Delivery to the airport, their flights, and a "spa day" in Los Angeles waiting for a connecting flight.  We flew Cathay Pacific - the cats flew Lufthansa Freight.  I know it probably sounds really expensive, but if you feel about your cat like I feel about mine, it's totally worth it.  I was a nervous wreck.  My kitties were just fine.

Sukie in NY

Thanks Sukie. So just to confirm, you collected your cats yourself from the cargo department and didn't use an agent for this right? I'm leaning towards in doing the same thing, whereby I fly the day before my cat arrives. Luckily my wife has an apartment right next to JFK.

1 hour ago, Sarge2155 said:

I remember back in the day when they allowed animals to travel in the cabin. I sat across from this lady that had a cat. That was by far the worst flight to this day I have ever taken. I think cats more so than dogs need to be drugged because this cat meowed the whole trip. It was awful for the cat as well as the passengers. The flight was full so I could not move or change seats. The good thing the flight was not international so it was not too long, but all in all a bad experience for the cat and me too!

Thanks for sharing this with me. I've decided to use a pet transportation service for my cat :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline
13 hours ago, Wahid Younis said:

Thanks

When I had my dog flown to me from overseas the cost was exactly the same as if I flied coach class myself.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.