T Town Hombre

May have to go home before 2 years.

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I've always heard that when a person comes to the US that they needs to stay in the US for 2 years.  If they go before that the US doesn't have to let them back in.

Well, my wife has been here almost 10 months and she may have to go back for a few weeks.  Her mother's health is deteriorating significantly, and my wife fears the worst and I have to say I agree with her.  As they were talking this morning, I thought what if????  What do we do?

I searched USCIS to see but didn't find any help.  Maybe I searched the wrong place but I don't know. 

What should one do to ensure they are able to get back into America due to a death in the family?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

she came on a spouse visa   the I 551 stamp (writng at bottom on visa) is her 1 year green card which allows her to reenter

but she should come back before it expires 

staying  about 2 years is when people come on K1 and they have to wait for the AOS process to complete and they get the AP so they can leave and return

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
26 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

she came on a spouse visa   the I 551 stamp (writng at bottom on visa) is her 1 year green card which allows her to reenter

but she should come back before it expires 

staying  about 2 years is when people come on K1 and they have to wait for the AOS process to complete and they get the AP so they can leave and return

There is actually no situation where the immigrant must stay for two years.  It doesn't apply to K1 visa people either. 

The idea the immigrant must stay for two years is totally false.  Conditional green card holders have the same travel privileges for in and out of the USA as any other green card.

There IS an issue though.  Leaving for two long or permanently can cause the immigrant to lose their resident status.  When conditions have not been removed yet, they do need to RETURN to the USA to remove conditions or potentially lose their status.  So, the issue is not "leaving".  It's how long they will be gone.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
38 minutes ago, T Town Hombre said:

I've always heard that when a person comes to the US that they needs to stay in the US for 2 years.  If they go before that the US doesn't have to let them back in.

Well, my wife has been here almost 10 months and she may have to go back for a few weeks.  Her mother's health is deteriorating significantly, and my wife fears the worst and I have to say I agree with her.  As they were talking this morning, I thought what if????  What do we do?

I searched USCIS to see but didn't find any help.  Maybe I searched the wrong place but I don't know. 

What should one do to ensure they are able to get back into America due to a death in the family?

She can go.  Does she have the physical green card yet?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 hour ago, T Town Hombre said:

Yes she has her green card.

Thank both of you for answering.

Absences of more than six months can be problematic but in this circumstance, I would only worry about being back by about the 21 month mark, or gone less than a year.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
15 hours ago, pushbrk said:

There is actually no situation where the immigrant must stay for two years.  It doesn't apply to K1 visa people either. 

r

The idea the immigrant must stay for two years is totally false.  Conditional green card holders have the same travel privileges for in and out of the USA as any other green card.

There IS an issue though.  Leaving for two long or permanently can cause the immigrant to lose their resident status.  When conditions have not been removed yet, they do need to RETURN to the USA to remove conditions or potentially lose their status.  So, the issue is not "leaving".  It's how long they will be gone.

i was refering to a K1 that has to wait for AP  and it can take a long time

19 hours ago, T Town Hombre said:

Yes she has her green card.

Thank both of you for answering.

Does your wife have a 2 year or 10 year green card? 
and how long do you think she will be away? 
you might consider applying for a reentry permit. This will allow your wife to leave the US for a period of up to two years. 
I believe if she has a 2 year GC she needs to return before it expires (so she can remove conditions) is this where your 2 year time period comes from? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

My wife spent about 6 months in China and didn't have any problems when she came back. She was on the 2 year green card at the time.  

I-130                                                                 I-129F

Spoiler

Mailed: Mar. 9, 2019 (Phoenix LB)              Aug. 9,  2019

Delivered: Mar. 12, 2019                               Aug. 12, 2019

NOA1/PD: Mar. 15,  2019 (LIN)                   Aug. 15,  2019

NOA2: Sep. 24, 2019 - Approved                 Sep. 24, 2019 - Denied 

I-130 sent to NVC: Oct. 8, 2019

Received NVC: Oct. 18, 2019

NVC Case#: Nov. 09, 2019 (Assigned to China, should be Japan )

AOS Submitted: Nov. 18, 2019

IV Submitted:  Dec. 23, 2019

AOS/IV Approved: Jan. 16, 2020 

Interview Scheduled: Jan. 23, 2020

Request location change: Mid Nov. 2019 --> Feb. 21, 2020

Contacted my Reps (House, Senate): Feb. 5, 2020 - Rep contacted Guangzhou & Tokyo. 

Response 1: Feb. 11, 2020 - Guangzhou gave copy/paste info to my Rep's office.

Response 2: Feb. 18, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy - Requested transfer fm China - Case moved to Administrative Processing 

A Short Time Later after talking with Rep. Case's office, they contacted the embassies again. 

Response 3: Feb. 21, 2020 - Transfer complete; New interview scheduled.

Interview Date: Mar. 2, 2020 - Tokyo Embassy 

Interview Result: Approved

Visa Issued: Mar. 4, 2020

Visa in hand: Mar. 6, 2020

Time: ~359 Days from start to finish 

POE:  Stupid COVID-19 delaying travel to the US....

POE: Aug. 13, 2020 - San Francisco 

SSN: Oct. 23, 2020

GC: Aug 5, 2021 (51 weeks from entry)

I-751

NOA1 - May 20, 2022 CA Service Center

NOA2 - July 20, 2022 Case Transfered to NBC

NOA3 - Mar 6, 2023 48 month GC extension letter

NOA4 - Sep 1, 2023 Biometrics Appointment 

Update - Oct 6, 2023 Case status update to show fingerprints taken  

:clock:

21 hours ago, T Town Hombre said:

Dude…..    how is it that you are so misinformed?   What is your source for all of the bad info in your posts?

41 minutes ago, Scott001 said:

My wife spent about 6 months in China and didn't have any problems when she came back. She was on the 2 year green card at the time.  

While this is true, absence of 6+ months often results in broken continuous residence for naturalization purposes.

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
7 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

i was refering to a K1 that has to wait for AP  and it can take a long time

Advance Parole usually takes 6 to 9 months, not two years.  The two year fallacy is just a common misinterpretation, I've been seeing as long as I've been around US Immigration.  (Since 2005)

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.