Zeeg

I-864EZ Federal income tax section Clarification [merged threads]

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I got  question regarding the I-864EZ filing, for NVC processing after they approved our I-130.

As far as I understand we qualify to file I-864EZ as my income is more than enough to pass the queried limit and I'm only sponsoring my husband. The thing is, this month I decided to quit my job and find something better, but at this very moment I don't have a job. 

On the I-864EZ there is a section "Information About Your Employment and Income" and there are only 2 options: "I am currently: Retired OR Employed"

What is the best course of action in this situation? Should I say that I'm employed and just in case attach the pay-slip from the last month OR wait I until I find a new job?

Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 12.29.30 PM.png

Hi, our case for I-130 got recently approved and we are trying to figure out which documents to file for the requested "Financial Documents"

On the I-864EZ it says to only submit the tax returns for the last year, but there is and option to attach transcripts for the  second and third most recent tax years. Should we do so, or only submit for the last year?

Also, the 2020 I filed alone, on the 2021 we filed jointly (but my husband didn't work in the US for for that year, it's just his last salary for the previous year was payed to him on the 1st of January 2021 so he needed to file the tax return and we did it jointly). Lastly I'm about to file for the 2022 year, and I was thinking to do it jointly as well, even thought my husband doesn't live or work in the US at the moment. Is that an OK thing to do? As far as I understand I just need to submit my W-2 to proof my side of the income.

Best,

Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 12.45.02 PM.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Never lie

Wait until you have a job or use a joint sponsor

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

13 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Never lie

Wait until you have a job or use a joint sponsor

Obviously, but I formulated the question more towards the lack of options like: unemployed or self-employed. Do you think it would be better to file the I-864 instead of I-864EZ where they have those options, and if yes, how can it affect the application?

Probably waiting till I get a new job is easier in this situation.

Screen Shot 2023-02-19 at 2.45.07 PM.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

related topics merged

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

In the present tense, you cannot use the EZ version because you have zero current income.  2022 is your most recent tax return, but it's 2023 now and you're unemployed  with zero current income.  You're going to need a joint sponsor, or wait until you get a new job, work a full pay period and have a pay stub as evidence of current income.  (Unless you can qualify on liquid assets alone, but to do that you can't use the EZ either.o)

Whether to submit 3 tax returns instead of just the latest depends on whether you think the information with strengthen your case.  Usually, it doesn't.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Hello,

I'm filing the I-864EZ and I have a question about the Federal income tax section. In the part 5a there is a statement that I only need to attach a photocopy of transcript of the Federal income tax return ONLY for the most recent year. Then in 5b which is OPTIONAL it says that I can attach the Fed income tax returns for the 2n and 3rd most recent years.

And then in 6a, b, c they are asking about the info about the last 3 years Total income.

My first question is: if it's OPTIONAL to attach the copies of the Fed income tax returns for the 2nd and 3rd most recent years, as stated in 5 b, I still need to indicate that information in the 6b and c (the total income for the 2nd and 3rd most recent years), but I don't need to provide any documentation that supports it, cos it's optional. Correct?

And the second question is: We filed our taxes jointly for the 2nd most recent tax year, so in the 6b I only need to MY total income from my W2, or both since we filed jointly (I was thinking about not attaching the W2 or copy/transcript for that year because it's optional).

Thank you

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 1.32.42 AM.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Zeeg said:

Hello,

I'm filing the I-864EZ and I have a question about the Federal income tax section. In the part 5a there is a statement that I only need to attach a photocopy of transcript of the Federal income tax return ONLY for the most recent year. Then in 5b which is OPTIONAL it says that I can attach the Fed income tax returns for the 2n and 3rd most recent years.

And then in 6a, b, c they are asking about the info about the last 3 years Total income.

My first question is: if it's OPTIONAL to attach the copies of the Fed income tax returns for the 2nd and 3rd most recent years, as stated in 5 b, I still need to indicate that information in the 6b and c (the total income for the 2nd and 3rd most recent years), but I don't need to provide any documentation that supports it, cos it's optional. Correct?

And the second question is: We filed our taxes jointly for the 2nd most recent tax year, so in the 6b I only need to MY total income from my W2, or both since we filed jointly (I was thinking about not attaching the W2 or copy/transcript for that year because it's optional).

Thank you

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 1.32.42 AM.png

1. Correct

2. find the line on your return that is your total income  and enter that number   Lift the info directly from the return 

Timeline
45 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

1. Correct

2. find the line on your return that is your total income  and enter that number   Lift the info directly from the return 

Yes, all the information is required, but you are only required to document the latest year.  Don't overthink it.  Read carefully, interpret literally, and act accordingly.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

13 hours ago, Lil bear said:

1. Correct

Thank you for the clarification on the first question.

Regarding the second one, as we filed the taxes together the "Total income" on the form is the number which is combined income for the both of us. But the requested information on the I-864EZ is "My total income" which presumes only one person income and not for the both of us ("My" being the single person that files the form). That whats confuses me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 minute ago, Zeeg said:

Regarding the second one, as we filed the taxes together the "Total income" on the form is the number which is combined income for the both of us. But the requested information on the I-864EZ is "My total income" which presumes only one person income and not for the both of us ("My" being the single person that files the form). That whats confuses me.

Yes I agree with the ambiguity. If your only income is w2 based its easier to

pill that figure out and tax transcripts  will verify that if needed 

Timeline
8 hours ago, Zeeg said:

The instructions tell you clearly to enter the total income number.  Just do it.

In the section for your current income, enter your current income as gross X the number of pay periods in a full year.  If you make a grand a week your current income is 52k.

8 hours ago, Lil bear said:

Yes I agree with the ambiguity. If your only income is w2 based its easier to

pill that figure out and tax transcripts  will verify that if needed 

Irrelevant.  Just enter the total income number.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline