Kaykay1

How can I file jointly as an F1 married to a US citizen

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Kaykay1 said:

I want to know if anyone has gone through my exact situation and filed jointly through turbo tax without any issues. 

Yes, me, in 2020 when I was filing my 2019 taxes, I was on an F1, married, but still not a permanent resident for immigration purposes.  And we used Liberty Tax, which is essentially the same, with no issues.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I’m sure OP has had an address in the U.S. since 2021. That doesn’t mean OP has the physical presence. 

If she is an F1 student then most likely she was able to maintain her status by being physically present in the US.

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
Just now, Rocio0010 said:

If she is an F1 student then most likely she was able to maintain her status by being physically present in the US.

I agree it is likely. 

38 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I’m sure OP has had an address in the U.S. since 2021. That doesn’t mean OP has the physical presence. 

I’ve maintained same address in the US since 2021 and have never left the US. However they consider F1 visa status as exempt from using that 183 day rule and I’m quite concerned. 

however I have pending AOS application but have EAD and SSN and pay all my taxes: Medicare, SS, state and federal. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Kaykay1 said:

I’ve maintained same address in the US since 2021 and have never left the US. However they consider F1 visa status as exempt from using that 183 day rule and I’m quite concerned. 

however I have pending AOS application but have EAD and SSN and pay all my taxes: Medicare, SS, state and federal. 

You are not exempt from filing taxes.  If you were married as of 12/31/2022, you can file a joint return with your spouse.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
45 minutes ago, Kaykay1 said:

I’ve maintained same address in the US since 2021 and have never left the US.

So you meet the substantial presence test. 

However they consider F1 visa status as exempt from using that 183 day rule and I’m quite concerned. 

This is my take:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/exempt-individual-who-is-a-student

When a Student is Not Exempt

You will not be an exempt individual as a student if you have been exempt as a teacher, trainee, student, Exchange Visitor, or Cultural Exchange Visitor on an "F, " "J, " "M, " or "Q " visa for any part of more than 5 calendar years, unless you establish to the satisfaction of the IRS that you do not intend to reside permanently in the United States

While you are correct F-1 is a single intent non immigrant status normally exempt from the substantial presence test, you did however file I-485. So it is impossible for you to establish that you do not intend to reside permanently here.  

So for tax purposes

* your I-485 broke your exemption from the substantial presence test 

* you are a resident alien  

* there is no election to declare yourself a resident alien; it is involuntary 

Since there is no election there is no way to submit a statement that you are electing to be resident alien.

File jointly and you are permitted to e-file.  

It is fortunate that your paychecks have been deducting SS and Medicare. Getting an employer to fix that is messy.  

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
55 minutes ago, Kaykay1 said:

However they consider F1 visa status as exempt from using that 183 day rule and I’m quite concerned

Where did you get that from?

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

2 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

Yes, me, in 2020 when I was filing my 2019 taxes, I was on an F1, married, but still not a permanent resident for immigration purposes.  And we used Liberty Tax, which is essentially the same, with no issues.

Thank you. This is it. So you just filed jointly. I guess you already had EAD and SSN while you filed, with pending AOS

Sometimes, these things can be confusing so when you talk to someone with the same situation, it helps a lot. Thank you. 

I totally love visajourney, it is very informative and i’m grateful for all the help we get from all of you. God bless you all. 

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Kaykay1 said:

guess you already had EAD

I guess you’re not understanding that the IRS doesn’t care if you have an EAD. I even doubt they know what it is. Nor do they care if your AOS is pending. All they care is that if you meet the substantial presence test, you have to pay your taxes. Black or white. 

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

6 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

I guess you’re not understanding that the IRS doesn’t care if you have an EAD. I even doubt they know what it is. Nor do they care if your AOS is pending. All they care is that if you meet the substantial presence test, you have to pay your taxes. Black or white. 

This is inaccurate.  As per https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/substantial-presence-test, when calculating the number of days in the US for the substantial presence test, you do not count the days you are an "exempt individual".  This includes a few categories of temporary visitors, in particular:

• A student temporarily present in the U.S. under an "F," "J," "M," or "Q" visa, who substantially complies with the requirements of the visa.

As a result most foreign students in the US are not residents for tax purposes.  This has important tax implications since they often are not eligible for the same tax benefits as those classified as "residents" for tax purposes (which includes, not is not limited to, US citizens and permanent residents) and hence often pay higher rates of taxes.

OP, I suggest you review https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/determining-an-individuals-tax-residency-status.  Quoting from that page,

If you are not a U.S. citizen, you are considered a nonresident of the United States for U.S. tax purposes unless you meet one of two tests. You are a resident  of the United States for tax purposes if you meet either the green card test or the substantial presence test for the calendar year (January 1 – December 31).

If you don't meet either of those two tests, then the foreign spouse may have to submit the election to be treated as a resident for tax purposes.  For more info see https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-spouse

4 minutes ago, Gabriel5454 said:

This is inaccurate.  As per https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/substantial-presence-test, when calculating the number of days in the US for the substantial presence test, you do not count the days you are an "exempt individual".  This includes a few categories of temporary visitors, in particular:

• A student temporarily present in the U.S. under an "F," "J," "M," or "Q" visa, who substantially complies with the requirements of the visa.

As a result most foreign students in the US are not residents for tax purposes.  This has important tax implications since they often are not eligible for the same tax benefits as those classified as "residents" for tax purposes (which includes, not is not limited to, US citizens and permanent residents) and hence often pay higher rates of taxes.

OP, I suggest you review https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/determining-an-individuals-tax-residency-status.  Quoting from that page,

If you don't meet either of those two tests, then the foreign spouse may have to submit the election to be treated as a resident for tax purposes.  For more info see https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-spouse

How do you submit the election. Nobody is saying anything about how it is done. 

7 minutes ago, Kaykay1 said:

Check that final link again (i.e. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-spouse).  From there,

How to Make the Choice

Attach a statement, signed by both spouses, to your joint return for the first tax year for which the choice applies. It should contain the following information:

1. A declaration that on the last day of the tax year one spouse was neither a U.S. citizen nor a U.S. resident within the meaning of IRC section 7701(b)(1)(A) and the other spouse was, and that you choose to be treated as U.S. residents for the entire tax year.
  2. The name, address, and identification number of each spouse. (If one spouse died, include the name and address of the person making the choice for the deceased spouse.)

Keep in mind, I am not a tax professional, just a random stranger on the internet.  :)  So feel free to do your own due diligence.  But this is my understanding of the situation.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, Kaykay1 said:

I told you how to submit a statement (if you need one) in my post in this thread.  Here https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/795745-how-can-i-file-jointly-as-an-f1-married-to-a-us-citizen/?do=findComment&comment=10796002

And for the total of what the IRS says on this topic see Publication 519 US Tax Guide for Aliens by the IRS. It covers all the details of resident alien or non resident, students, exemptions, statements, etc. Dive into Chapter 1. Note that the 2021 edition is the latest published, but had anything changed, it would have been replaced. Just remember when it says 2021, read it as 2022 for your purposes. 
Pub. 519 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline
2 hours ago, Kaykay1 said:

This is the exact document we signed and sent along with our tax return, just change the generic info to your own.  We had to paper-file (mailed it in) our return because I couldn't find any tax software that would allow me to upload this extra document.  I used TurboTax or something similar, and then selected the mail-in option at the end and printed out the return.  I then added this page, signed by both my husband and I, and mailed the whole thing to the IRS.

That was at the beginning of COVID, so it took MONTHS to process our return.  It took so long that the IRS paid us a few dollars in interest, that I then had to report as income on our next year's return. 🤷‍♀️

TaxResidencyStatement_Sample (1).pdf

Edited by midwinterrose
more detail

2018 K1 Filing to Approval: 322 days (RFE 29 Days)

Spoiler

I-129F mailed: Jan 26 2018

NOA1: Jan 29 2018 (old site), Feb 2 2018 (new site)

RFE: Aug 30 2018 (old site updated 8/30; new site 8/31 w/email and text)

RFE hard copy: rec'd 9/4; ret'd 9/6 (old site updated 9/7; new site 9/10, no text/email)

NOA2: Oct 5 2018 [249 days]  (old site updated 10/5; new site 10/7, no text/email)

Case #: Oct 31 2018 [27 days] (called to get number, no email from NVC)

Left NVC: Nov 13 2018 

Consulate Rec'd (DHL): Nov 19 2018

CEAC 'Ready' status: Nov 29 2018

Interview: Dec 17 2018 [Approved!]

POE: Jan 10 2019 [Los Angeles]

Marriage: Jan 12 2019 :wub::dance:

2019 AOS Filing to Approval: 81 Days (No RFE, No Expedite)

Spoiler

AOS Mailed: Feb 19 2019

NOA1: Feb 25 2019 (I-485, I-765, I-131)

Biometrics Appt. Letter Rcv'd: Mar 8 2019

Biometrics Appointment: Mar 20 2019

Recv'd Interview Appt. Notice: Apr 15 2019 [I-485] (ready to schedule 4/10, scheduled 4/11; old site)

Interview: May 17 2019 [Cleveland, OH]

Approved: May 17 2019  :dance:

Green Card Received: May 24 2019

2021 ROC Filing to Approval: 534 Days (LIN; No RFE, No Interview)

Spoiler

ROC Mailed: Mar 5 2021 (delivered 3/12)

NOA1: Apr 5 2021 (txt rcvd 4/7, check cashed 4/7, mail rcvd 4/9) 

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Apr 30 2021

Approved: Sep 21 2022 :dance:

Green Card Received: Sep 28 2022

2022 N400 Filing to Oath: 154 Days (Cleveland Field Office; No RFE)

Spoiler

N400 Submitted: Jun 16 2022 (online)

NOA1: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Biometrics Re-used Notice Rcv'd: Jun 16 2022 (rcv'd snail mail 6/24)

Interview Scheduled: Sep 6 2022 (cancelled due to A-file not arrived in time)

Interview Re-scheduled: Oct 21 2022

Approved: Oct 21 2022 :dance:

Oath Ceremony: Nov 16 2022 :wow:🇺🇸

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.