24 posts in this topic

I hope this is the right thread to post this, as I had a little look through and couldn't seem to find a London medical mega thread (new to this site so I may have overlooked a place!) but I just wanted to write about my experience with the medical exam in case it helps someone else.

My appointment was mid-afternoon yesterday. When I booked a few weeks earlier, I could take my pick of the times available. They tell you that you can't arrive early, but I went in 10 mins before my appointment. They didn't care I was early. They asked for my name and all documents they had requested. I gave them my passport, police certificate, medical questionnaire, GP summary, vaccine records, NVC letter showing my visa category and case number, and my red book. I also gave my marriage certificate as I had taken my husband's surname since starting the visa process so they updated it on the system.

The confirmation email asked for 4 passport style photos, but they didn't want those as they took a photo of me there instead. The red book was also just "bring if it you have it, no worries if not". They made copies of my documents and handed them back to me, but they kept a few like my passport, red book, medical questionnaire and NVC letter.

They gave me a cup to make a urine sample and also some forms to fill out. These were questionnaires about my medical history. Took a couple mins to complete. I handed them back at reception and sat down to wait.

I was called in to see the dr after a few minutes wait, she was absolutely lovely. Started by asking me questions about my history, confirming my details. I was weighed, measured, and then asked to remove my jeans and sit on the table with a gown on. She felt my lymph nodes and took my temperature. Then I laid down, she took my blood pressure, heart rate, felt my stomach, legs, looked at my arms, listened to my heart and then my lungs. She took 1 vial of blood and then we were done. Very easy, she was very welcoming and made me feel at ease.

I returned to the waiting room and waited a few more mins before being called to the xray room. I was asked to remove my t-shirt, bra, and any jewellery around my neck. I had to put my hair up too (they had clips I could use). I put the gown on to cover myself and was directed into position pressing up against the machine (kind of an awkward pose but not uncomfortable). Then I got dressed, put the gown in the bin, and went back to the waiting room again.

After a few mins I was called to see the nurse to go through my vaccines. I needed 3 - the flu, DPT and hep B. The flu because I hadn't had it yet, DPT because polio is on the rise so they want you to have an up-to-date jab, and hep B because this wasn't a vaccine available when I was a child. The nurse said I could have them there and then, or I could get them done privately later and send them proof. I chose to get it done there because it's easier.

2 jabs in one arm, one in the other. Very easy and done with kindness and compassion. Then I went back to the waiting room for all my paperwork to get to reception. Whilst waiting, I popped to the loo to provide my urine sample. A few mins later, I was called to reception and they gave me back my documents, as well as giving me receipts, info of the vaccines I'd received and told me that if I don't hear from them, all is well. Then I had to pay (a total of £500) and I was free to go.

All in all, it took about the 90 minutes they advised, but it went by so quickly. All the staff were so friendly, helpful, kind, and made me feel at ease.

1 hour ago, hopeful0811 said:

Congratulations! I'm so pleased for you! I had my medical yesterday and also went to the embassy whilst I was there just to try to figure out where I need to go for my interview. There's this little building called South Pavilion Consular services, looks like a glass building outside the main weird looking building. Is that the place we need to go for the interview?

Thank you, I now have my passport and visa back too, so I’m very happy. I have also paid the fee of $220 to USCIS for the issue of the green card which they like to be paid before entry to the US. When your passport is returned there will be a leaflet inside which explains this.

Yes that glass building outside the main building is where you go through security. The embassy is a strange looking building and you basically walk around the back of it to the south pavilion. There are signs which tell you to carry on round for visa interviews and on the interview days there are plenty of staff about and more temporary signs put up. Go to the people at the desk outside of that glass building and do not get in line with everyone else. You will need to show them your ds260 and passport and they will tick you off their list and depending on the time of your interview, tell you to go through security or to go back to them at a particular time and not to queue up. If you are like me you will probably apologise about 20 times to the people who are in the long line, saying you have a immigrant interview and have been told not to queue 😂, I did feel bad.

Anyway Congratulations to you having completed the medical and best wishes for the interview. Do you have your entry to the US booked yet?. 

3 minutes ago, Icedgem said:

Thank you, I now have my passport and visa back too, so I’m very happy. I have also paid the fee of $220 to USCIS for the issue of the green card which they like to be paid before entry to the US. When your passport is returned there will be a leaflet inside which explains this.

Yes that glass building outside the main building is where you go through security. The embassy is a strange looking building and you basically walk around the back of it to the south pavilion. There are signs which tell you to carry on round for visa interviews and on the interview days there are plenty of staff about and more temporary signs put up. Go to the people at the desk outside of that glass building and do not get in line with everyone else. You will need to show them your ds260 and passport and they will tick you off their list and depending on the time of your interview, tell you to go through security or to go back to them at a particular time and not to queue up. If you are like me you will probably apologise about 20 times to the people who are in the long line, saying you have a immigrant interview and have been told not to queue 😂, I did feel bad.

Anyway Congratulations to you having completed the medical and best wishes for the interview. Do you have your entry to the US booked yet?. 

Amazing, thanks so much. When are you off to the US?

Haha I imagine I'll be apologising too! I was confused because when I got there yesterday, it was gone 5pm so it was all closed up. Took me a while to twig that they're closed and that's why it looks abandoned lol.

I haven't booked my entry yet, but I'm planning on the last 2 weeks of April. That'll give me enough time to leave my job, pack, say goodbye to people etc

13 minutes ago, hopeful0811 said:

Amazing, thanks so much. When are you off to the US?

Haha I imagine I'll be apologising too! I was confused because when I got there yesterday, it was gone 5pm so it was all closed up. Took me a while to twig that they're closed and that's why it looks abandoned lol.

I haven't booked my entry yet, but I'm planning on the last 2 weeks of April. That'll give me enough time to leave my job, pack, say goodbye to people etc

I’m booked for March 25th and hoping I can keep that date. I’ve accepted an offer on my house and I’m  frantically trying to get it to exchange for a completion date of a week before I leave. I am selling my furniture and belongings by the day,  talk about stressful times 😂. I’m literally going grey over all this and have developed a stress twitch on my right eye. Honestly 🤦‍♀️. I can’t wait for that 10 hours on the plane with a book and glass of wine. 

The embassy will look a different place in the morning, there are usually a couple hundred people outside queuing. I was actually there at 7.15 am and there were people there already. I believe they do interviews up to 12 noon and then all the admin gets done in the afternoon. Best wishes to you 😊

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: England
Timeline

I need someone advice regarding the NVC email. Which email can I use as proof for the medical? As the embassy states they want proof of case numbers and type of visa. 

The email I have from NVC has the case number. Thanks in advance 

2 minutes ago, bonkane said:

I need someone advice regarding the NVC email. Which email can I use as proof for the medical? As the embassy states they want proof of case numbers and type of visa. 

The email I have from NVC has the case number. Thanks in advance 

I used my interview letter email

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: England
Timeline

Thanks for all your help the medical people were super nice!

It seems to have gone well fingers crossed.

You do not need to take your own photos as they take them.

Also just take your GP summary which has your vaccinations, allergies, medical consultations and medical history. There is no need to take all your history from birth etc.

If you have children take the red books no matter the age tbf. It will make it easier to workout the vaccinations. 

Also, the urine sample is age specific and some people might have it. Don't stress if they don't ask you for one.

Edited by bonkane

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 12:09 PM, shefuk1 said:

I had a similar nightmare, I threatened legal action against my GP in the end. If you make the request to your GP as a formal Subject Access Request, they have to provide it to you in a certain time frame. Just asking for it as normal means they can take their sweet time. I wouldn't recommend this though if you need letters from your Doctor, I don't have long or complex medical history so my summary report is like 2 pages

My GP send mu Subject Records thing to the medical record issuing place and on there website it says 28 days so fingers crossed i get it before my medical i hope you guys get yours ASAP 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.